Alternative to fish?

I'm not into pandering to kids and their dislikes when half the worlds' children can't even get enough to eat every day. I cooked dinner and put it on the table. If they didn't like it they got themselves bread and butter.

Edit: Sorry - that sounded snappy. Just don't worry too much about food and kids. Fussy eaters are just reflecting their parents' anxieties about food.

I don't pander to my kids with regards to food. If they don't eat it, then they go hungry - no bread and butter, because they would happily choose that as the option. But it doesn't stop them being fussy. Never stopped me being a fussy child either.

Absolute bull about them just reflecting their parents anxieties about food though. Children are biologically programed to be fussy. It is an evolutionary, protective mechanism. They are programed to dislike most vegies and anything that isn't sweet. This is believed to be to help them avoiding poisionious things, which naturally tend to be bitter. Kids can actually physically feel like gagging when consuming foods they do not like. Our taste buds and our reactions to food change as we age.

As for a genuine dislike of something (ie, fish) I wouldn't stress too much. If I felt like being accomodating I might prepare an option of fish or chicken for people to choose from, or If not feeling so accomodating, I might simply make them eat everything else served with the meal (ie, the vege, or salad, etc), but not push the fish issue.

If they are eating a wide variety of healthy foods which include other healthy oils, it shouldn't matter too much if they are not eating fish or other seafood. Other foods such as avocardo, nuts, oats, etc all contain good 'brain foods'. As well as ensure any margarines you use contain omega's and using healthy oils in you cooking.

Thought I'd add, my kids all take a kids multi-vitimin (which contains omega's and other healthy stuff). Mine take it because one of them is always deficient in something (usually iron) and it is easier to give him a preventative tablet then to keep taking him to the doctor because he gets sick. The other two don't really need it, but they complain if they 'miss out' especially as they taste like lollies.

I gave my kids a bit of leeway when it came to meals, like eating at least 2 of the veg and leaving the one they disliked most, or picking out the bits they disliked. I found they kicked up less and ate more, if given that bit of freedom of choice and the feeling they had some control over what they got to eat.

When it came to new meals or meals where they couldn't remove the food they disliked then the deal was they HAD to have 2 mouthfuls and they could leave the table - there'd be no arguments but no treats either. 8 times out of 10 they would eventually eat that food after a few tries.

When it came to seafood mine would eat any white fish - disliked tuna and salmon. The 2 mouthful method didn't work with either but then I didn't really cook either much.

They also liked calamari, octopus and prawns. One time we were at a cafe and were eating an Antipasta plate when a waitress stopped to comment that she was surprised to see a small child chomp on a whole pickled baby octopus. My little one was 4 at the time. He hasn't had that for a while now so I'm not so sure if he's still keen on that one.

I think when it comes to food you need to do interesting things with it and have lots variety otherwise they'll turn their nose up at it.

Muahahahaha child came back from a week away complaining about how everything is done at Grandma's (from routine to activities to the shower to the toilet to food to drink). So which do you like better, being at Grandma's or home? Home. You realising yet you've got it good at home? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Score one for me! :D

Alternative to fish

Um . . . sushi?

No, really. Just don't tell the little blighters what it is.

If it's really fresh it doesn't smell at all, so if you tell them it's tiger or dinosaur, they'll love it!

And cooking hasn't ruined all the good stuff in it either, so you'll be doing the monstrous little tycos a favour by bending their reality inside out.

It blew me away when I first arrived in Japan seeing toddlers scoffing sushi without a second thought, until I got absolutely hooked on it myself (and sued my parents for deprivational maltreatment on my return to Oz).

Sushi is one of my favorites too. I was never introduced as a toddler I also discovered it in adult life.

My children however were introduced to it very young, by age 2 there were eating raw salmon with soy sauce. - they still all love it.

But it's still fish! so dosen't solve casseroles problem

Wow thanks for all the replies. It is really interesting what some kids like and some just don't. I remember gagging as I tried to eat peas as a kid and then I went on to only eating minted peas. Nowadays I don't mind the humble pea and lots of lollies don't appeal to me at all. It is true your taste buds change.

Sushi might actually be worth a try as he does like his salty sauces. I wouldn't mind some myself either :p.

We all had fish for Good Friday and my boy did have a little nibble and then just ate his salad and chips. Husband was a good boy and ate his happily as well (to show our boy). It's clear he dosen't like it and I'm not going to worry too much now.

My parents used to think I was missing out by not eating my liver (gag) and kidneys (gag gag) and I vowed I wouldn't put my kids what I went through at some meals.

P.S. Thanks for the Omega spread tip, I'd forgotten about those and since bread is a favourite of my sons it's a great idea!

Now the correct way to cook a lizard is complicated. You could take the standard strategy and spoil it in French otter grease, but I demur. Resist the commonplace, and incinerate it in a pyre of accountants. The paté that way is quite sublime.

Last edited:
Back