Am I a tight a$$, am I doing it wrong?

This is an interesting comment. If everyone was frugal what would happen ?

People are socially engineered by the profit makers to consume from the cradle to the grave.

The way I see it you have two choices;

1. Re-tinker your physcology with new knowledge and application thereof, undoing the social engineering you where subjected to & learn the system and use it to your advantage.

2. Pack up and head for the hills and live a subsistence lifestyle off the grid, wife and children in toe (in my case) and in agreeance to your decision :rolleyes:

Or you could do 1 and apply 2 once you are financially self sufficient ;)

Have spent time in cuba where there is no private sector therefore no competiton no advertising and no consumerism. Definitely not a pretty economic picture.
It is evident that we need all things listed above in abundance for a healthy economic progress.

Have spent time in cuba where there is no private sector therefore no competiton no advertising and no consumerism. Definitely not a pretty economic picture.
It is evident that we need all things listed above in abundance for a healthy economic progress.

Whilst capitalism is not perfect its certainly the best of the lot.

This is in Canada :)
At the grocery store we only spent $737.48 (but only $224.96 came from our wallet, the rest was free...'points')

....in Australia we only spent $608.69 over the 223 days we were there...spent more at the grocery store ($1285.53 ) during that time

so in 328 days we spent $2944.18
averages $8.98 a day for 2 people ($62.84 week)
the fact that you have spent such a pathetically small amount for such successful investors, and can account for every cent and over a specific number of many days is very disturbing. :eek::D

How can anybody NOT know, where the money is spent
credit cards give statements
banks have transaction records
If expenditure is unknown or uncontrolled, ya go bust

[took part out : seemed to be attacks on people when I read it back ]

no records no control
no money
lots of records lots of control
no money ?
money this time
icon_fingers_crossed.gif

so upset I have to go spend 25c on a coffee

Last edited:
Frugality is really an interesting subject for me..I love it..probably as much as being a landlord :)
I suppose it a control issue, and also a challenge.

Most people have a finite amount of dollars available to them.
After we pay our P&I mortgages, tradies, employees,business expenses, we only have a certain amount left over. We could spend that money without any care of the cost until the money is gone, and then use our credit card...but this will only go on so long. Eventually you reach your credit limit.
Or..
We can buy all the same foods we normally buy, but when they are on sale/reduced and stock up. Only replace clothes when we need them. If that is second hand or when on sale, doesn't matter. Replacing a "whatever" instead of buying another to throw in the drawer...then we have the money to enjoy an afternoon lunch with a friend at a cafe. Buying more food than I can physically eat, and leaving it on my plate, does not appeal to me. Some things I want to order, do not reheat well, even if I take them home.

There is always going to be a segment of the population, where buying is very important to them. They need to update their wardrobe constantly, because they can't be seen wearing the same thing too often. For these people, 'having enough' is not part of their vocabulary.
I usually buy second hand, but this summer I did buy 10 new tank tops.After the sale price, and the store incentive loyalty coupon..they cost $2.75 each. I'm good for tops for a while now.I bought one of every color.

If you look at the Depression of 1929 it was caused by over consumerism.
Also read the article link Ricardo posted from MMM. It is very interesting.

Bayview has a thread where he is stating many people he comes into contact with are struggling (paraphrasing). This is what happens when expenses exceed income. When this happens you have 2 choices: earn more or decrease expenses.
Not everyone wants to get another job.
Sometimes it just makes more sense to 'buy better'. If you don't watch much tv, cancel or down grade the cable pkg. Same with your phone & internet.

Need to save on your electric bill? Don't have the a/c running when you aren't home, but program it to come on 10 minutes before arriving home.Shutting it off at night, and open the windows.Close drapes in daytime. Using the clothes line, and if you are too busy during the week, do it on weekends. You get the idea. It's all about choices.
Some things you can't do anything about, such as car rego prices, but anything that is dependant on your consumption, you can.

the fact that you have spent such a pathetically small amount for such successful investors, and can account for every cent and over a specific number of many days is very disturbing. :eek::D

To be honest, we could have cut our grocery bill by 1/3, and still eat very well.It would mean going to the grocery store a few more times a week, but our summer here has been busy with our properties.

Most of the expense for the 'other food' is take away coffee.
If we were really tight, I'd have filled our thermos
But..we share a large cup :) instead of buying 2 mediums.

What happens if we are all frugal?
I guess you need to determine what frugal is first. For me it is not paying more, than I need to.

Families would be able to have one parent at home (if they chose to)
Instead of 'things', they could enjoy experiences,such as camping.

As a child we didn't take family vacations, but there was always someone staying for a sleepover. There was only a house phone. Having fun, was walking to the store with a friend and having a popsicle. At home, we played board games and with our toys. In other words, it cost very little.Dinners were home cooked.

My kids had a very similar up bringing.Weekends were usually them having sleepovers and finding ways to amuse themselves. Dinners were home cooked. During the summer we did go to yardsales, which they loved.

I feel sorry for the new generation.
They think spending money is the only way to have fun.

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks any generation can think in a singular way

You know what?
I don't recall you ever providing any info about your life ..for us to critique.
Maybe you would like to share some personal experiences growing up about how you were raised, and also how you are raising your children now?

Whenever I read articles regarding frugal billionaires, I have to wonder how much of this is fact or fiction, average folk like to hear these stories makes them feel good about themselves.
Seriously, if anyone believes that these people do not have some toys, holiday homes etc is naive at best.

What about Warren Buffet? Believe it or not, Warren Buffett has lived in the same five-bedroom Omaha, Neb., home since 1958, when he bought it for just $31,500 ? the equivalent of roughly $255,000 today.

http://www.gobankingrates.com/perso...finance-expert-warren-buffett-lives-frugally/

add 25c to expenditure list, check :D

haha! Unfortunately people equate being frugal with missing out on things. When we go to the States we buy seniors meals or share because they are huge. I hate waste. Do you read Mr Money Mustache? I like his site.

I wouldn't class myself as frugal (some would though). I have never been a spender. I rarely go shopping as I hate it (Sash maybe it stems for my childhood where we were quite poor?). When I do I look in a few shops then get bored. I buy things I want but mostly I think "do I really need that"? If I mention I might buy something (thinking about an IPad mini) he looks it up, gets the price and is ready to click buy before I even think about whether I really need it (I have an IPad already).

So not frugal I don't think, just deciding if I really need "stuff".
I have been writing down everything we spend for the last 6 months (deciding whether to retire next year or stay part time, hubby is retired). It's interesting but I'm not blown away by extra spending on unneccessary things. I know a LOT of people WOULD be gobsmacked at how much they waste.

My spending vice is travel though. But I see this as investing in myself so am happy to spend it there.
Everyone is different. I had someone uestion my travelling saying "but when you come back you have nothing to show for your money". Well I'd rather live a life than have a new car and lounge and sit at home every week to pay for it.

Each to their own.

Last edited:
Some billionaires live frugally and others not so. Remember warren buffett also owns a gulfstream jet. Not exactly a cheap thing to run.

Ive also heard the use one tea bag 50 times a day and some of those people do exist. If it makes them happy then all good.

If other people obtain happiness from a ferrari and smoking a few cubans every day and they can afford it and they dont want to be frugal then all good.

Sounds like katherine and bob enjoy living a frugal life and that makes them content. I know terry well and he also enjoys living a frugal life. It is something they enjoy. Others dont enjoy it and can afford not to be. It doesnt make one better than the other just different. Its when a frugal person says someone MUST be frugal it is the issue. A good friend of mine probably consumes around 200 aud every day on cigars and whisky. Not frugal at all. His family however owns the largest water distributer in thailand. So for him its like a 50c coffee every day. The income well and truly replaces the expenditure.

The real issue is when you spend more than you can really afford. Living a caviar lifestyle on a mcdonalds salary. Things will eventually fall apart.

What about Warren Buffet? Believe it or not, Warren Buffett has lived in the same five-bedroom Omaha, Neb., home since 1958, when he bought it for just $31,500 ? the equivalent of roughly $255,000 today.

http://www.gobankingrates.com/perso...finance-expert-warren-buffett-lives-frugally/

That's exactly what I am talking about... these stories "make people feel good". What about his private jet that and many other out of the norm stuff does not get mentioned??? Yes, he does have one of these. Media feeds what the public want to hear, because everyone wants to think that these filthy rich people live a very average life, and the public buy this. As I said if anyone believes this they are na?ve at best.

Some billionaires live frugally and others not so. Remember warren buffett also owns a gulfstream jet. Not exactly a cheap thing to run.

Ive also heard the use one tea bag 50 times a day and some of those people do exist. If it makes them happy then all good.

If other people obtain happiness from a ferrari and smoking a few cubans every day and they can afford it and they dont want to be frugal then all good.

Sounds like katherine and bob enjoy living a frugal life and that makes them content. I know terry well and he also enjoys living a frugal life. It is something they enjoy. Others dont enjoy it and can afford not to be. It doesnt make one better than the other just different. Its when a frugal person says someone MUST be frugal it is the issue. A good friend of mine probably consumes around 200 aud every day on cigars and whisky. Not frugal at all. His family however owns the largest water distributer in thailand. So for him its like a 50c coffee every day. The income well and truly replaces the expenditure.

The real issue is when you spend more than you can really afford. Living a caviar lifestyle on a mcdonalds salary. Things will eventually fall apart.

Very good post.

I think Kathryn should write a book on the subject, it would probably be a best seller.

I have to admit though I don't hang around with tight **** people cos it puts me off, not sure why, but I almost feel disgusted by the behaviour/culture, no offence to Kathryn.

Back