Am I odd

I wish i number 3!!!!

In relation to Brenda's comments my wife did say to me recently...

"If you ever get to the stage where you stop getting excited about winning the meat raffle at North Bondi RSL - I will divorce you"
I won the meat raffle at the Clovelly Hotel once! Also won $50 worth of $1 scratchies & got back $24... not a good rate of return.

After we built our last catamaran and freind's saw the quality of gear and found out the price we got stuff for, they nicknamed me "Half Price Dave"

Alway's a deal to be had.

BB

Whenever I find something on special, I stock up big time, especially if a non perishable. I still have at least 7 deoderants left from the last purchase, I buy bulk toilet paper, washing detergent, etc. I have about six cases of soft drinks still in the cupboard from my purchase about 4 months ago. We are not huge soft drink drinkers, but they were about 1/3 of the normal price, so they will keep me going for a while yet. If I come home with a special treat, I'm always asked "how much did it cost?" because my family know that it would have been on special.

If buying a quantity of items I always ask for a discount too. Hubby is even no longer embarrassed by this.

One of the kids is now a very good bargain hunter & quite often shows me with pride what she has bought.

Hiya

One of the kids is now a very good bargain hunter & quite often shows me with pride what she has bought.

tta
rolf

Am I just odd?:confused:

Having gotten well and truely tired of this rotten, wet weather, I've just got back from a few days of sun, camping in Lightning Ridge. 25 degrees on Tuesday :)

Anyway, after being there, my idea of whats odd has changed a little. Everyone in that town is a little different. You wouldn't live there otherwise. Great spot for a quick visit in winter. Love all the hot artesian bore baths out those parts, tried a few.
I now know where all the old trucks and buses and car doors end up. ;)

See ya's.

Well, who'd a thought that? A Mexican?
There are huge extremes of wealth in Mexico- as there are no doubt in many places in the world.

I remember seenig a huge mansion on the top of a hill- one side of the hill was a cliff face.

There were caves in the cliff face where people lived.

Hiya

tta
rolf

Ha, Rolf, trust you to pick that up. No, not referring to Hubby at this stage, just one of the kids, although at times it does feel like I have 3 kids.:eek: :D

Thrifty is not a dirty word!!!

I asked hubby this question but he wasn't game to comment so I thought I would put it to you.

I am always on the prowl for a bargain. A cheaper but good quality coat, a dvd on special, etc but sometimes I agonise about how much things cost. I have passed by the meat aisle in the supermarket at times when the prices are more than usual and I wait until they come down maybe next week.

So how come I think nothing (after due diligence and research) of buying a house or a bundle of shares? Am I just odd?:confused:
It ain't odd, it's being SMART or THRIFTY and in my books, it's COOL!!! :cool:

I always shop around for the best price WITHOUT compromising on quality though.....I'm a fussy a** (and yes okay, a smart-a**) but never a tight-a**!!! :eek:

I recall an incident a couple of years ago, that still has my friends asking about my weekly grocery shopping expenditions....

It all started when I went meat shopping for a BBQ that I had planned one evening. Not content with ridiculous prices or (IMO) poor quality cuts of meat at the local supermarket, I decided to go to a wholesaler, a further 15 minutes drive up the road. Along the way, I spotted a "bargain land sale" flag flapping around madly in the wind, which had a further message that read "there's no deal we can't better" and of course loving a good challenge thought "ahhhh what the heck, we'll see about that" besides I just had to have a sticky didn't I?? Well needless to say, I bought two shopping bags full of some of the finest quality meats at far more digestible prices, AND....I also negotiated down (by $20K) a very sizeable block of land which I (only a few months) later sold for a yummy $60K profit!!

Gosh, I DO SOOOOOO LOVE A BARGAIN!!! ;)

BTW....the BBQ was a smashing success!!! :)

I'm reading a book called "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell. You guys fit into a special category of people (with complements of course):

>excerpt from book

The word Maven comes from the Yiddish, and it means one who accumulates knowledge. In recent years, economists have spent a great deal of time studying Mavens, for the obvious reason that ifmarketplaces depend on information, the people with the most information must be the most important

The critical thing about Mavens, though, is that they aren't passive collectors of information, What sets them apart is that once they figure out how to get that deal, they want to tell you about it too. They like to be helpers in the marketplace. This is the people who conncet people to the marketplace and has the latest scoop on the marketplace.

Perhaps there is a bit of walking to the beat of a different drum for some of us...I don't think we are *odd* as such, just really interesting and different how we perceive all our priorities, wants, needs etc.

People are just so damn interesting how they live their lives, we kill our own meat, some people who have visited here have never seen this and it can horrify them. If we are near civilisation we buy some of our food requirements by the bulk....slabs and boxes of stuff.

A lot of our vegies and fruit we can grow, (notso possible in drought)...our homegrown stuff is far better quality than anything we have seen for sale....yet we spend a lot of money on equine pursuits and associated needs/requirements for that....if we ever want anything we do buy it, but do a little research... :)

Well, as long as I have plenty of Somersoft "odd" company, I don't feel so lonely. Thanks guys; I appear 'normal' as long as I stick with you. Pretty good company if I may say so. :)

Back