Analysis Paralysis!

I am an accountant, and can confirm fair few accountants dislike debt.

Someone I was speaking to some time ago didn't know what negative/positive gearing means :-/

I'm in IT and I know I can go into analysis paralysis. But shifting it now.

And also know people who went to BACK uni in 20's after getting one degree to do medical degrees...just because...there is greater job security...

Last edited:
Most over analyser folks have been programmed from early childhood that making a mistake is absolutely not acceptable.............and that program has been running much of their lives.
ta
rolf

Or if they are from the current generation- they can do no wrong and ANYTHING is acceptable. So analysis paralysis shouldn't be a problem soon.

I was once married to an accountant who was the complete opposite ... very risky.

Problem was that he saw his clients, who had taken a risky gamble early in their careers (10-20 years previoius), or had innovative ideas, now making lots of money and prestige ... his problem was that he wanted the money and prestige now - so took stupid financial risks and like to spend money we didn't have.

But I know that was from his upbringing ... and I blame his money hungry, never good enough mother.

your'e not my ex wife by any chance, are you? ;)

I go to spreadsheets for anything and everything!
One of the property company was trying to sell me a unit in Meadowbank for $700k when I didn't know much about investing. My spreadsheet saved me. I was told that I was having analysis paralysis problem.

Later, again my spreadsheet saved me from buying an QLD property from another wealth builder company. After explaining why I'm not buying the property they are suggesting, using the spreadsheet, I was told that I have analysis paralysis problem.

From my point of view, I can't understand how anyone can make a decision without a spreadsheet :p

I received a call from one of the rich dad program affiliates sometime ago...feedback suggests that Kiyosaki isn't directly involved with their business and heard some shocking stuff when I researched. I told the guy I wasn't interested in an email. He told me that I was 'closed minded'. Strange assumptions people make

Though i agree that i use spreadsheet extensively to compare and evaluate opportunities and investments, i will have to say that my final decision is based on gut feel alone...

Example - I just had evaluated a very good deal and on spreadsheet it was the best i ever have(maybe sign of times now compared to last 7-8 years) but in the end i couldn't convince myself to go ahead with it...just didnt feel confident about the IP and the suburb itself...just my gut feel.

I have also noticed that as i have purchased more and more i have become very conservative compared to earlier times. Partly family pressures of not over extending, partly the uncertain economic times as well....

+1 for the gut feel, although obviously the numbers have to work too :)

Its also amazing how previous deals and experience can sometimes make that next investment that much harder to find, through trying to achieve increasingly higher comparative returns.

This is one of the reasons sites like SS are great for gaining perspective from fellow investors as sometimes a good deal is a good deal, whether its your best or not maybe irrelevant. Always good to push yourself though.

Oh I know! I am sick of hearing about the financial apocalypse.

Off topic: Speaking of financial apocalypse. I got into a "Jesus cab" once. He would not stop preaching to me and how Jesus is coming and you are either with him or you will suffer. Lots of suffering is coming to people soon because of global warming and how the global financial market is collapsing. I could not run out of that cab fast enough.

Not having a go at religion, but it would appear 60% the world will suffer since the Chinese and Indians typically don't believe/know who is Jesus.

Or if they are from the current generation- they can do no wrong and ANYTHING is acceptable. So analysis paralysis shouldn't be a problem soon.

thats so old skool :)

lucky for me I know many tremendous very young folk that want to contribute and make the world a much better place.

I know where you are headed with this though and do agree that as a nation we really need to wake up and see what we are feeding our young people, entitlement idealogy tastes nice for a little while, but goes off real quick.

ta
rolf

do u have a life partner ?
I know where this is going.. no I didn't have any spreadsheet calculation before marring her :D
Interestingly, she got used to my spreadsheets and expecting one for anything which needs organising!

Devank probably has kids too!:eek: (sorry can't help it...slinking back to my hole:p)
Yes Virgo notices everything. 2.4 kids... if that makes sense :)
I did have cash flow scenarios before having each kid. Each kid has a spreadsheet for their name selection process (numerology).

Kids

I know where this is going.. no I didn't have any spreadsheet calculation before marring her :D
Interestingly, she got used to my spreadsheets and expecting one for anything which needs organising!

Yes Virgo notices everything. 2.4 kids... if that makes sense :)
I did have cash flow scenarios before having each kid. Each kid has a spreadsheet for their name selection process (numerology).

Congratulations Devank...:D (3 is a good number, i should know i have 3 of them myself:p)

My husband created a spreadsheet on sleeping and feeding routines before our first was born. This time around he has just bought a magnetic whiteboard for the fridge and records feeding times on a daily basis, realising that projections cannot be planned for a newborn. He also created spreadsheets for our wedding planning.

He did create a spreadsheet to determine cash flow before purchase but not in terms of other potential suitabilities of a property. I doubt we would have as many properties if I allowed the spreadsheets to swell past the financial aspects.

My husband created a spreadsheet on sleeping and feeding routines before our first was born. This time around he has just bought a magnetic whiteboard for the fridge and records feeding times on a daily basis, realising that projections cannot be planned for a newborn. He also created spreadsheets for our wedding planning.

He did create a spreadsheet to determine cash flow before purchase but not in terms of other potential suitabilities of a property. I doubt we would have as many properties if I allowed the spreadsheets to swell past the financial aspects.

I did something similar back in the early 90's to work out when my partner was due to have her period so as to plan weekends away . She wasn't impressed when she found out :rolleyes:

Seriously I don't think you can tar all accountants with the same brush (and I don't mean you specifically beachgurl - I mean in general) . Many of us who don't practice, but hold executive positions in organisations would more than likely not last long if we were acutely averse to risk.

In contrast many of those in auditing roles within the profession , from my experience, are risk averse to the point of extreme anality.

It took me about 4 years to purchase my PPOR after looking at about a million properties. This was about three years ago. At the time of purchase, I was very happy with it, enjoyed living in it, still do and was happy with the price.

However, three years down the track, the overall property market has dropped in price and I think my PPOR is probably worth 10% less than what I paid for it.

Looking back, I think that my four years of analysis paralysis saved me a lot of money as the market has been slowly dropping over that time frame. I recall that during this period, I annoyed a lot of real estate agents as they had been showing me innumerable houses over the four year period. In fact, the agent who finally sold me my PPOR still boasts to other people that he sold to the unsellable!

In contrast, I bought a lot shares in 2007 without two minutes of thought as the stock market was so hot at the time. When 2008, I lost six figures worth of shares overnight. So sometimes, it is good to be slow at making major investment decisions as mistakes are irreversible.

I have a friend who has a Ph.D. and works in research. For at least 10 years he has been talking about getting life insurance but still hasn't got around to doing it. He also has been talking about doing a will and about buying a property. He does a lot of research and spreadsheets and often sends me copies of newsletters etc that he subscribes too but he doesn't take any action. I should add he works for Govt.

I have a friend who is now considering buying the house she missed out on six years ago due to procrastination. It is for sale again. She told me about it a few days ago. Six years ago I discussed the pros and cons and tried to help her make a decision. This time, I just said "that is interesting".

She's been toying with moving for at least six years. It took her probably five years to make the move before that and the one before that. I try not to get involved any more.

I have a friend who is now considering buying the house she missed out on six years ago due to procrastination. It is for sale again. She told me about it a few days ago. Six years ago I discussed the pros and cons and tried to help her make a decision. This time, I just said "that is interesting".

She's been toying with moving for at least six years. It took her probably five years to make the move before that and the one before that. I try not to get involved any more.

The question is-is she buying it for more or less than six years ago?

Nothing worse than being proven right by not making a decision.

Back