Ancient Humans Settled East Asia In Two Waves, Not One

Hair unlocks 70,000-year-old mystery ABC VideoLink

Demography takes a step back in time

Ancient Humans Settled East Asia In Two Waves, Not One

An international team of researchers have sequenced the genome of an Aboriginal Australian and determine that early humans settled eastern Asia in two waves rather than just one.

The study has broad implications for understanding how our human ancestors migrated across the globe.

The scientists sequenced the genome of a lock of hair donated to a British anthropologist by an Aboriginal man from the Goldfields region of Western Australia in the early 20th century. The results showed that Aboriginal Australians descend directly from an early human expansion into Asia that took place some 70,000 years ago, at least 24,000 years before the population movements that gave rise to present-day Europeans and Asians, the researchers reported on Wednesday.

The findings also imply that modern day Aboriginal Australians, which were shown to have no genetic input from modern European Australians, are direct descendants of the first humans who arrived in Australia as early as 50,000 years ago.

The history of Aboriginal Australians plays a key role in understanding the dispersal of the first humans to leave Africa. Archaeological evidence establishes modern human presence in Australia by about 50,000 years ago, but the current research re-writes the story of their journey there.

Until now, the most widely accepted theory was that all modern humans derive from a single migration from Africa into Europe, Asia, and Australia. Under that model, the first Australians would have branched off from an Asian population, already separated from the ancestors of Europeans.

However, the current study shows that when ancestral Aboriginal Australians began their private journey, the ancestors of Asians and Europeans had not yet differentiated from each other. Once they did, some 24,000 years after the first Australians had begun their explorations, Asians and remnants of the ancestral Australians intermixed for a period of time.

“Aboriginal Australians descend from the first human explorers. While the ancestors of Europeans and Asians were sitting somewhere in Africa or the Middle East, yet to explore their world further, the ancestors of Aboriginal Australians spread rapidly; the first modern humans traversing unknown territory in Asia and finally crossing the sea into Australia,” said Professor Eske Willerslev from the University of Copenhagen, who led the study.

“It was a truly amazing journey that must have demanded exceptional survival skills and bravery.”

Professor Jun Wang, another study leader, said the research would open the door to new breakthroughs about ancient human migrations.

Redwing, don't you have anything better to do than dig up all this stuff?

Everyone knows that extratesticals brought the aboriginals here. They painted them in their caves!

Ancient-Australian-painting.jpeg

More info on this

ABORIGINAL AUSTRALIANS ARE descendents of the first people to leave Africa up to 75,000 years ago, a genetic study has found, confirming they may have the oldest continuous culture on the planet.

The first Aboriginal genome sequence confirms Australia's native people left Africa 75,000 years ago

Archaeological evidence shows that modern humans had reached South-east Asia by 70,000 years ago and that they had spread to Australia by at least 50,000 years ago

Australian Museum

As we move forward we all become part of the Global Village

Makes me wonder if the bogans of this nation will survive the "ice" age. I suppose only time will tell. Some may think their fate is sealed but they are a hardy lot.

Makes me wonder if the bogans of this nation will survive the "ice" age. I suppose only time will tell. Some may think their fate is sealed but they are a hardy lot.

Bogans are like cockroaches and mongrel dogs Datto, you'll need a nuclear event to attempt to wipe them out and even then, many will survive, they are a hardy lot...it's true I've seen all Mad Max movies

Ice Age event just means no freezer required for your booze

I read a book a few years ago that said the same thing, also the Seven Daughters of Eve said the same thing. They were hoping to DNA test the aboriginals soon after the book was published, this Researcher may be working for them or pinched their idea.

Basically it was suggested that there have been 3 waves of aboriginals into Australia, all from the north.

The first referred to as Negritos, then came the next wave referred to as the Murrayians (?) then the Capricornians.

The first were smaller in stature and were driven south by the Murrayians into the colder areas eventually ending up in Tasmania trying to survive. It was noticed by the English that the Tasmanian aboriginals were quite different in appearance to those around Sydney.

The aboriginals around Sydney were of the Murrayian race and quite friendly and as the early white explorers found out, the aggressive nasty ones were in Queensland and were referred to as Capricornians.

When up north it seemed to me that the Northern aboriginals were quite similar to those in New Guinea, quite logical as they island hop all the time.

I found the Torres Strait islanders different again, very happy on their islands with no need to associate with Aboriginals, suggestions that they are quite miffed to be bunched in with the ATSIC people. Would much rather do their own thing, so much so that when the guide mis-heard me he said "don't call them aboriginal, they will get upset" In fact I was commenting that they are very different to the aboriginal race.

All quite interesting but unproven, so this DNA research is showing some support for the previous theory.

Global Village

It's interesting as science investigates...Africa to India to Australia

Australian Aborigines Were Once Indians - Study

New genetic research in BMC Evolutionary Biology found telltale mutations in modern-day Indian populations that are exclusively shared by Aborigines. The new study indicates that Australian Aborigines initially arrived via south Asia.

Dr Raghavendra Rao worked with a team of researchers from the Anthropological Survey of India to sequence 966 complete mitochondrial DNA genomes from Indian 'relic populations'. He said, "Mitochondrial DNA is inherited only from the mother and so allows us to accurately trace ancestry. We found certain mutations in the DNA sequences of the Indian tribes we sampled that are specific to Australian Aborigines. This shared ancestry suggests that the Aborigine population migrated to Australia via the so-called 'Southern Route'."

The 'Southern Route' dispersal of modern humans suggests movement of a group of hunter-gatherers from the Horn of Africa, across the mouth of the Red Sea into Arabia and southern Asia at least 50 thousand years ago. Subsequently, the modern human populations expanded rapidly along the coastlines of southern Asia, southeastern Asia and Indonesia to arrive in Australia at least 45 thousand years ago. The genetic evidence of this dispersal from the work of Rao and his colleagues is supported by archeological evidence of human occupation in the Lake Mungo area of Australia dated to approximately the same time period.

Did Ancient Indians Migrate To Australia 4,000 Years Ago?

DNA testing has confirmed that Australia?s Aboriginal population have genetic links to India.

Research published by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the U.S. (PNAS) uncovered evidence suggesting that Indians migrated to the Australian continent about 4,000 to 5,000 years ago and that they might have even brought the famed dingo dog as well as new stone tools with them.

The study was conducted through the DNA testing of people in New Guinea, South East Asia and India, as well as Australian Aboriginals.

Scientists had formerly believed that Australia was largely isolated from the time 40,000 years ago when humans first arrived in the territory until the early 19th century when Europeans first washed ashore.

"For a long time, it has been commonly assumed that following the initial colonization [40,000 years ago], Australia was largely isolated as there wasn't much evidence of further contact with the outside world," said study leader and Professor Mark Stoneking of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, according to BBC.

"It is one of the first dispersals of modern humans -- and it did seem a bit of a conundrum that people who got there [Australia] this early would have been so isolated? We have a pretty clear signal from looking at a large number of genetic markers from all across the genome that there was contact between India and Australia somewhere around 4,000 to 5,000 years ago. Our results show that there were indeed people that made a genetic contribution to Australians from India.?

DNA confirms coastal trek to Australia

DNA evidence linking Indian tribes to Australian Aboriginal people supports the theory humans arrived in Australia from Africa via a southern coastal route through India, say researchers.

The research, lead by Dr Raghavendra Rao from the Anthropological Survey of India, is published in the current edition of BMC Evolutionary Biology.

One theory is that modern humans arrived in Australia via an inland route through central Asia but Rao says most scientists believe modern humans arrived via the coast of South Asia.

But he says there has never been any evidence to confirm a stop-off in India until now.

Rao and colleagues sequenced the mitochondrial genomes of 966 people from traditional tribes in India.

They report that several of the Indians studied had two regions of their mitochondrial DNA that were identical to those found in modern day Australian Aboriginal people.

The team compared Indian sequences with those from Aboriginal Australians collected in past studies.

Rao and colleagues used computer programs to predict that a common ancestor existed, between the Indian population and Aboriginal Australians, up to 50,000 years ago.

Attachments

• image.JPG
    image.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for that, interesting info, seems to confirm the wave theory of a number of invasions of Australia. They have only tested those in the NT which Australian researchers refer to as the Capricornians.

These are very different to the Murrians which are different to the Tasmanian aborigines so this gives more confirmation to the multi wave invasion of Australia.

At least 3 waves of people with a good sun tan then England is looking to be right after all.

So when Rudd said sorry to the Aboriginals, which wave did he say sorry to?

All of them :) He was apologising for the English invasion and treatment of aborigines.

I wonder did the Indian sourced Capricornians ever apologise to the Murrians 4000 years ago

All of them :) He was apologising for the English invasion and treatment of aborigines.

I wonder did the Indian sourced Capricornians ever apologise to the Murrians 4000 years ago

This second group of migrants, the "Murrayans" annihilated the original Tasmanian race. Not to be outdone the third wave of migrants, the "Carpentarians" (Modern Mainland Aboriginals) then committed a 100% effective genocide against the Murrayans around 20,000 years ago.

Won't it be fun when we change the constitution to recognise the original Australia people?

This second group of migrants, the "Murrayans" annihilated the original Tasmanian race. Not to be outdone the third wave of migrants, the "Carpentarians" (Modern Mainland Aboriginals) then committed a 100% effective genocide against the Murrayans around 20,000 years ago.

Won't it be fun when we change the constitution to recognise the original Australia people?

Yep, quite funny really, some research shows that the Tassie ones (Negritos ?) came down from the north as well and were hunted by the Murrayans so they ended up in Tassie.

My wife is actually descended from these, probably 2% blood, now very diluted, maybe they will give us Tasmania as compensation :D

An Indian scientist concludes aboriginal people came from India? Possibly a slight nationalistic bias?

Some Aboriginals I've seen reminded me of Indians, that picture above just confirmed it. There are apparently anthropological affinities between Tamil/Dravidians and Australian Aboriginal languages?

Apparently the Dingo come from India and most closely resembles Indian dogs

Story from Creative Spirits

Definitely Indian
Following is a conversation between an Aboriginal woman who visited India [37].

[Indian person inquiring:] ?We are thinking you are one of us??
?Sorry no, I am from Australia.?
?Yes but you are looking, Punjabi??
?No.?
?Tamil??
?No.?
?Are you from Mumbai??
?No.?
?Yes, but your parents are Indian, yes??
?No, sorry.?
?Your grandparents??
?No.?
?Argh yes, your great grandparents!?
?No, sorry, I am Aboriginal.?
?Where is that??
?No, I am native, original, ummm from Australia.?
?Oh yes, but someone in your family migrated to Australia from India, yes??

Back