Another PPOR to IP question... with a twist

Hi all!

I know there are a bunch of PPOR to IP threads in existence already, and I have read a fair few of them... but this question is farily unique, and would probably require me to read all eleventy billion PPOR to IP threads.

Anyway, here's the situation:
- My workmate just recently purchased a damaged home at auction.
- Bought at well below market value, due to the damages.
- He is renovating and fixing up the damage, and moving in straight away to claim the FHOG and stamp duty exemptions.
- He has negotiated with his bank to get an interest only loan, with an offset account, and has also negotiated to be allowed to "top up" the loan after the renovations to the true market value.
..... to explain that... lets say he bought the property for $250K with the damage. He gets loan for 90% = $225K.
After the renovations, lets say the property is worth $300K.... and he has negotiated to be able to "top up" the loan to $270K (90%).

Now... the question is this, relating to deducability....

- He is moving into the house for 6 months to get the FHOG, and within that 6 months (he is hoping within 3 months) intends to get the loan topped up to the true market value after repairs/renovations are done.
..... so, once he moves out after 6 months and turns the property into an IP, will the full amount of the debt be deductable?
IE - will the full $270,000 (after the topup) be tax deductable once the property becomes an IP.

Of course, he will be sticking the $45,000 from the topup into his offset account, and will only use this $45,000 for buying more properties, and not for personal expenses.

... Im pretty sure it will be deductable, but im not very experienced with tax matters. Yet.

would probably require me to read all eleventy billion PPOR to IP threads.
“Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that.”

Now... the question is this, relating to deducability....
- He is moving into the house for 6 months to get the FHOG, and within that 6 months (he is hoping within 3 months) intends to get the loan topped up to the true market value after repairs/renovations are done.
..... so, once he moves out after 6 months and turns the property into an IP, will the full amount of the debt be deductable?
IE - will the full $270,000 (after the topup) be tax deductable once the property becomes an IP.
Not exactly, he can claim interest on the original loan of 90% x $250K = $225K on IO. He can claim the interest on any loan he has to get for the renos/repairs - which might be (say) $25K. This $25K might come from (or be repaid from) the $45K top up. He doesn't get to claim the whole $45K top up because this was not the "cost" of the repairs/renos. (i.e he provided his labour free - he can't claim for that - or if he does he has to declare it as income on his next tax return - so he would not).
The $45K top up (or what's left of it) gets to be deductable when he uses it for his next IP purchase.

And btw I'm not an accountant - I'm just relaying what mine tells me after I do the same thing as your work mate.

Now I'm ging out - to stalk.....Lenny & Carl.

There is no effectively no interest payable on the top up loan.

E.g.buying loan $225k is deductable

add top up loan $45k, = $270k loan.

Place $45k in offset, - $45k
________
Interest payable on $225k

Cheers

Peter

I'd say he's structured his finances quite well. This is a great example of how offset accounts can be used effectively.

Yeah i coached him on the finance side of things... and he took my advice and ran with his own steam from there to negoiate the ability to top up the loan almost immediately after renovations. He's doing really well for his FIRST IP - its a fire damaged home bought at auction (very minor damage really).

I have a similar structure, except im using redraw facilitied as i dont have the need for an offset account at the moment.

Back