Another reason property prices won't fall.

The Commonwealth Bank, ANZ, Westpac and National Australia Bank have also agreed to consider offering 12-month reprieves on repayments for other types of loans

So basically if you lose your job, the banks will freeze your repayments up to 12 months. This will no doubt kick a heap of confidence into those that want to buy, but not sure of job stability. Not to mention house prices probably heading North again.

Read on for full article.

http://business.theage.com.au/busin...up-to-help-customers-kelly-20090405-9t18.html

Yeah was reading about that earlier, not bad for the banks to help out ppl in those sitautions....

I am still unsure what will happen when the FHB loose there grants for the lower end of the market... Not sure if I should hold out a few more months or just jump back into the market now, I hate waiting really, want to get another one under the belt :)

true, still beats loosing your home, that’s all some ppl have.... there will always be good and bad to these sort of schemes and the media will milk them for all they are worth,

Just wait for the ACA/ TT stories about the ppl that don’t qualify for the 12 freeze repayment and how bad the banks are coz they had to sell there homes....

They will just lose it later after the banks have been shored up and they become unemployed, thus prolonging the recession and keeping RE prices low.
Japan has already given an example of what happens when RE and other economic factors are artificially kept high and that was a 20yr recession, and they're still in it.

May help some distressed borrowers but in terms of the housing market in general this will backfire. Capital ratio requirements of the banks will mean that it will further restrict lending = prices down, LVRs up, further tightening, the cycle continues.

lol as interest keeps compounding on their unpaid loans for 12 mths and makes a bad situation even worse.

I think that is a sweeping generalisation....you need to define a 'bad situation'.

Sure, if it is a FHB sitting on 95% LVR, then capitalising interest for 12 months could have them sitting in a negative equity situation. You might see that as a 'bad situation'. It certainly is not a 'good situation'. But these FHBs have to live some where. What is the financial difference between renting at $330 per week and living in a house with negative equity that is costing them $310 per week in repayments?

But if it is a mum & dad with family, say, with a loan of 60% LVR and they capitalise interest for 12 months while another job is found. This can't be bad in my view, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:
Piston Broke said:
Japan has already given an example of what happens when RE and other economic factors are artificially kept high and that was a 20yr recession

OMG japan's 20 year recession is invading Australia!!!
It's WWII all over again, but this time it's a financial attack!

FIRE ZE MISSILES!!!

It's not designed to work indefintiely. It's to help them until they get a new job. If they intend on remaining unemployed long term then they would have to sell anyway, this just gives them breathing room - perhaps even to sell the place if that's what they decide.

As far as the interest capitalising, yes of course - there's no free lunch. But let's be honest, it's not going to cause a huge amount of extra pain. Even if they capitalise it for the full year (which I doubt they would if they get a job in 2-3 months) on say a $300k loan:

$300k x 7% rate
= $321k after a year (bit more as the loan will be increasing, but you get the point)

So payments (IO) go from $21k to say $23k per year - or an extra $38pw.

I don't think this will help much because under the Universal credit Code....the banks have to show that they acted responsibly or else they might get knocked over the head via "unconsionable conduct"!

The issue here is if the asset quality is not good the banks might be better by pulling it early.

My gut feel is the the hard work will be done up front...by ensuring the people taking out loans are good credit risks and the assets values up!:)

lets be specific here shall we?

you can only apply for it if the bank is ready to foreclose and you are unemployed.

not because you missed a cupla payments because you got dropped back to 4 days a week.

much the same as accessing super money for financial distress.

Sounds to me like banks are only protecting their own interests, the last thing they want is a drop in re prices, they maybe left with a lot of "toxic assets" if they start foreclosing mortgages.

there's still those 20% of people who have loans not with one of the big 4, so this doesn't apply to them.

i think the true indication of price movements is the fact that banks lower the LVR, which means they prepare for price falls.

Hi,

I think that is a sweeping generalisation....you need to define a 'bad situation'.

How true, this is not something new to the big 4, they have always been somewhat flexible when a mortgagee comes under financial stress to come to a financial viable arrangement with the mortgagee.

What constitutes a bad situation, well the devil is in the detail, yet to be made public, if ever by the banks.

lets be specific here shall we?

you can only apply for it if the bank is ready to foreclose and you are unemployed.

not because you missed a cupla payments because you got dropped back to 4 days a week.

much the same as accessing super money for financial distress.

Some of the above would be detail, along with your ability to meet future debt servicing, how much equity was in the asset, the current condition of the economy and most importantly Government influence in the decision making, they did grant the banks guarantees. You scratch my back, I will scratch yours.

Sounds to me like banks are only protecting their own interests, the last thing they want is a drop in re prices, they maybe left with a lot of "toxic assets" if they start foreclosing mortgages.

Yes, they are protecting their own interests called shareholders and exec bonuses, who wants RE prices to drop, but just willing it not to isn't going to be good enough, reduction in risk would seem like the safest action at the moment. They do risk having toxic assets if the rules of being granted the 12months relief are not in accordance with the current financial and economic environment to protect their business. The further the world contracts, the slower the economy becomes, the tighter the banks will be with granting relief.

there's still those 20% of people who have loans not with one of the big 4, so this doesn't apply to them.

I think the true indication of price movements is the fact that banks lower the LVR, which means they prepare for price falls.

Yes, the other 20% might not be able to access such relief or they will be told they can only if they are 8ft tall with 6 fingers.

The lowering of LVR rates will have a greater effect on property prices more than the 12 months relief option or the FHBG. If the bank does not receive cash flow from a mortgage for a period of time it has to be made up somewhere else, end result less capital, a reduction in the number of mortgages the bank can offer, tighter lending practices, less demand for RE, lower prices. What would happen to property prices if LVR's were reduced to 50%?

While I initial thought this the concept ridiculous, I think it has it merits but the extent of those merits will be determined by the banks and we will have to wait and see.

Unlike others I do not see this as putting a floor under the market, lower LVR rates from the big 4 recently results in less credit available making it hard to maintain current RE prices. Even the FHB may have to reduce their buying price range by not having a large enough deposit to meet the current median house price if the banks require a LVR 80% and none inclusion of the FHBG.

This pattern seems to be playing out in other countries around the world, maybe the world thought buy/consume now and paying later was in a 100 years time.

Most banks are already have mechanisms like this in place due to their obligations under the Code of banking Practice.

The same Code requires them to ensure any "arrangement" doesn't make things worse for the borrower. That is, there must be a reasonable prospect they can get back into good order and there needs to be plenty of equity to support the capitalisation.

The "12 months" figure should be taken with a grain of salt.

Wow... define 'losing your job'.

I'm an IT contractor. My last contract finished up Xmas eve. I'm starting a new one next week. Did I 'lose my job?'.

Back