Another responsibilities question

My PM was saying my tenants want me to supply them with rugs or carpet offcuts or blankets so they can move their furniture in without damaging the floors. I would have thought it was the tenants responsibility to take precautions when moving in. My PM is trying to get me to ring the carpet supplier (which I never dealt with as was through a builder) and ask them for offcuts or give them some old blankets. I don't even have any old blankets, haven't ever owned any. I feel like I am the one that all the demands are on. Isn't the PM meant to be looking after me as it's my money she's getting a good cut of:confused

Tell her the tenants should have some rugs or towels. Sounds like they plan to slide the heavy furniture, which is okay, as long as they protect your floors properly.

Do you have photos of the floors in good condition? If not, I would be trying to get some photos.

We have never been asked to provide rugs for moving the furniture, but we have left felt pads for the bottoms of chairs and tables. Whether or not they are used I don't know. I cannot make them put them on their furniture.

Our floors are scratched from many tenancies, so no huge issue, but I would be really annoyed if they were freshly polished and tenants dragged furniture over them.

that is riddiculous request from a PM. It is the tenants problems to protect the floors. Tell them to deal with it... in my years in Prop Mgmt i have never heard of this!

Tell her the tenants should have some rugs or towels. Sounds like they plan to slide the heavy furniture, which is okay, as long as they protect your floors properly.

Do you have photos of the floors in good condition? If not, I would be trying to get some photos.

We have never been asked to provide rugs for moving the furniture, but we have left felt pads for the bottoms of chairs and tables. Whether or not they are used I don't know. I cannot make them put them on their furniture.

Our floors are scratched from many tenancies, so no huge issue, but I would be really annoyed if they were freshly polished and tenants dragged furniture over them.

Thanks Wylie, yes, they're freshly and highly polished. I have heaps of pics - some in my members gallery;)

Whereabouts do you get the felt pads from? I might get some of those for them.

I thought a Dr & financial advisor would have used a professional removalist, but, apparently not. They're sooooooo much more demanding than any tenant I've ever had in my other IP:(

I have got them from Bunnings but think they are also available at supermarkets.

I would make sure that your PM lets them know that it is THEIR responsibility to ensure your floors are protected.

Good luck.

HI there
just in relation to tenants damaging timber floors - we have floorboards which have been pockmarked with stilleto heel marks - any ideas how to remedy them - and can a tenant be responsible from the bond for the sanding back and resurfacing?
thanks

That is the most ridiculous request from a tenant yet. I can't believe your PM expects you to do this. It is absolutely their responsibility. Do they expect you to line the walls incase their furniture rubs against it?

Let us know what happens.

Regards Jo

At the end of the day how tough is it to supply carpet offcuts and felt for the bottom of furniture. Rugs they can get themselves.

We have polished timber in 3 of our places and always supply 1 packet of stick on felt and info on where to buy more (Crazy Clarks for a few bucks) and supply old carpet offcuts which you can get from carpet suppliers for free as they have to pay to dump them.

Then, they dont really have any excuses.

Dave

At the end of the day how tough is it to supply carpet offcuts and felt for the bottom of furniture. Rugs they can get themselves.

We have polished timber in 3 of our places and always supply 1 packet of stick on felt and info on where to buy more (Crazy Clarks for a few bucks) and supply old carpet offcuts which you can get from carpet suppliers for free as they have to pay to dump them.

Then, they dont really have any excuses.

Dave

I don't mind supplying stick on felt. But if it's so easy for me to go and get carpet offcuts, why can't the tenant? They've taken time off work to shift, whereas I'm stuck working 8.30am till after shops shut with a 30min lunch break and no time to get to and from any carpet stores.

As it is, I've already agreed to do more things than I would have done had I been moving in myself. Give an inch and...

HI there
just in relation to tenants damaging timber floors - we have floorboards which have been pockmarked with stilleto heel marks - any ideas how to remedy them - and can a tenant be responsible from the bond for the sanding back and resurfacing?
thanks

If the tenant has caused damage beyond fair wear and tear than you can claim it from the bond. I believe stilleto marks are beyond fair - they are a no go on a wooden floor, and you only have to do it once to know that.

If it were me, I'd let the tenants know that the local rug merchant is having a 75% off sale (or whatever), and tell them it'd be a great idea for them to pick up a cheap rug that they can use to protect the floor while moving furniture. Since it's such a cheapie rug, doesn't matter if it gets a little wear and tear, right? - and the bonus to them is that they can use it afterwards to soften the often stark look of boards. AND they get to choose the design themselves! A Win-Win-Win situation: gets them off your back, protects your floor, gives them a look they've chosen themselves. :cool:

Sounds like they're at least concerned about maintaining your property in good order - that's a plus, right?

PS about the phone connection issue - more tenants are choosing to go without the fixed line phone, as they rely on their mobiles exclusively (and they are expensive enough!). So, those tenants that choose to have a fixed line connection will more and more often encounter the having-to-pay-to-get-it-connected scenario. Eventually everyone will accept the connection fee as a normal responsibility they'll have to shoulder. Stick to your guns - it's their responsibility, not yours.

I thought a Dr & financial advisor would have used a professional removalist, but, apparently not. They're sooooooo much more demanding than any tenant I've ever had in my other IP:(

....indeed.

May I enquire what gross yield the Doc & FA are paying you ??

If it were me, I'd let the tenants know that the local rug merchant is having a 75% off sale (or whatever), and tell them it'd be a great idea for them to pick up a cheap rug that they can use to protect the floor while moving furniture. Since it's such a cheapie rug, doesn't matter if it gets a little wear and tear, right? - and the bonus to them is that they can use it afterwards to soften the often stark look of boards. AND they get to choose the design themselves! A Win-Win-Win situation: gets them off your back, protects your floor, gives them a look they've chosen themselves. :cool:

Sounds like they're at least concerned about maintaining your property in good order - that's a plus, right?

PS about the phone connection issue - more tenants are choosing to go without the fixed line phone, as they rely on their mobiles exclusively (and they are expensive enough!). So, those tenants that choose to have a fixed line connection will more and more often encounter the having-to-pay-to-get-it-connected scenario. Eventually everyone will accept the connection fee as a normal responsibility they'll have to shoulder. Stick to your guns - it's their responsibility, not yours.

Thanks kokopelli, I stuck to my guns & so did they - their employer is going to foot the bill. Wish I had a boss like that!

Toon I think you should have moved the furniture for them. Surely a tenant can't be held responsible for getting in and out of - what after all - is your investment. Yes.. this should be your cost :rolleyes:

Toon I think you should have moved the furniture for them. Surely a tenant can't be held responsible for getting in and out of - what after all - is your investment. Yes.. this should be your cost :rolleyes:

Yeah, and next they will ask for supply of toilet paper, and probably a hand to wipe their......

Cheers,

The Y-man

Funnily enough, I was planning to throw a couple of toilet rolls on the holders to get them off to an easy start:p Then I though my cheapo brand of toilet paper might not be smooth enough for their precious ar.... And that was before the carpet offcut demands, the phone connection demands, the request for me to foot the bill to have their ice / cold water dispensing fridge plumbed...

Back