Any benefit doing a building inspection on really old properties?

As the title states, is there any benefit doing a building inspection on really old properties?

I know it seams like a loose question, but I already know that the property needs a lot of work and all/most defects are pretty evident.

Unless you plan to knock it down, yes get a B&P. It could be perfect, or it could be full of timber rot and termite damage

I purchased a site last year with a 60 year old house. We will build units on it in a couple of years.

I had a building and pest report done when the property was still conditional. I new what to inspect form the report. It was nothing of major concern.

However I presented some of these issues to the seller and was able to negotiate a further 5k off the price. For the $360 I spent on the B&P it was worth it.

Even if you plan to demolish in a couple of years you will need to consider tenants' health and safety in the interim.

Do smoke alarms comply? Are there 2no operational RCD's? Are down lights and electrical wiring in the loft space correctly installed to prevent fire?Is the roof structurally sound or have termites left it on the verge of collapse? Do pool barriers comply to current safety requirements?Is there any mould or friable asbestos present?

For the small cost involved it is crazy not to have the property inspected.....

Back