Any good books on renos, small dvpt.?? Pls suggest

Hi Folks, I wish to learn about the renovations, and small development etc, could you please suggest some good books I may read on this topic

I have seen that many people are selling expensive seminars, there may be a lot good in them but my experience says that when these people write books, they provide a lot of info in them as well.

Pls suggest the books you have found to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

Thanks

anisavvu

anisavvu,

Pick up a copy of Australian Property Investor (API) magazine at your local newsagent. In the back you will find a bevy of books on the subject - pages of them.

Reno Kings is one that comes to mind - but there are stacks there.

I have the Readers Digest Do It Yourself Manual from 1965 here :D

Its about 2 inches thick and foolscap size and is invaluable - some skills just don't change, the book goes into gorey details about them (eg, bricklaying), and it is very handy considering this is my third *old* house I'm fixing up and the stuff in the book is surprisingly relevant. Probably only worth it as a doorstop on a house built in the last 20-30 years, however, and we refer to the great tome of Google to find the formal installation instructions and building standards for modern materials. They didn't have laminate floors in 1965 ...

Some things you just have to *do*. Solid plastering springs to mind, since I have to go do a fair bit of that today and the job falls to me because I'm better at rendering. Learnt how to do that from watching an old coot who used to do this for a living work on our house. Its ... hard, and people who actually know how to do it make it look easy.

I have the Readers Digest Do It Yourself Manual from 1965 here :D

Its about 2 inches thick and foolscap size and is invaluable - some skills just don't change, the book goes into gorey details about them (eg, bricklaying), and it is very handy considering this is my third *old* house I'm fixing up and the stuff in the book is surprisingly relevant. Probably only worth it as a doorstop on a house built in the last 20-30 years, however, and we refer to the great tome of Google to find the formal installation instructions and building standards for modern materials. They didn't have laminate floors in 1965 ...

Some things you just have to *do*. Solid plastering springs to mind, since I have to go do a fair bit of that today and the job falls to me because I'm better at rendering. Learnt how to do that from watching an old coot who used to do this for a living work on our house. Its ... hard, and people who actually know how to do it make it look easy.

WE HAVE THIS BOOK TOO!! Well i think it is the same one i dont have it in front of me to check... but it is a huge book with information about how to do everything known to man. my parents bought it back in the early 70's when they bought an old farm house and they have had it every since. When Hubby and I got married last year and bought our first house Mum and Dad gave it to hubby as a house warming present. I am amazed at how much is in it... we have actually used it a few times... looked up how to seed a lawn & how to fix a sash window ... priceless!

Back