Any ideas how to improve this back yard area?

Hi,

Just moved in to new property, will be PPOR for at least 5 years.
I am looking for ideas to change the rear corner of the garden.

There is a ugly concrete area + sandpit (0.5m deep of sand)
On the left where brick paving is, cant dig to deep 30cm down run some pipes/easement is 2 m from the rear fence.

The fence is 1.8 m. not much privacy either.
Was thinking of fence extension say 60cm up..lattice or trellis.
Do I need have council approval for it?

Cheers,

Attachments

• P1010425.jpg
    P1010425.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 203
Without knowing what's under the concrete and bricks, I'd say remove the concrete, bricks and sandpit, grow another couple of hedges to extend the current hedge to the corner, extend the grass over where the concrete is, and put in a few more plants- I think that area will look lovely when the silver birch has leaves.

You can buy a product called 'Winterlite' that you can put on top of your colourbond fence for privacy- some info at http://www.homeplus.com.au/winterlite/ . It's made from aluminium and is an angled lattice that provides privacy but still lets the sun through. You can cut the sheets to whatever height you like- 300mm on top of the fence is usually sufficient.

Hi,

Just moved in to new property, will be PPOR for at least 5 years.
I am looking for ideas to change the rear corner of the garden.

There is a ugly concrete area + sandpit (0.5m deep of sand)
On the left where brick paving is, cant dig to deep 30cm down run some pipes/easement is 2 m from the rear fence.

The fence is 1.8 m. not much privacy either.
Was thinking of fence extension say 60cm up..lattice or trellis.
Do I need have council approval for it?

Cheers,
Maybe make the hedge all the way round too the decking just depending on the tracking of the Sun,1.8 does not give you much privacy,in Brisbane you can up too 3 mts i have,,2400 is normal,, but too go above 2400 you need a special permit from the BCC..

I agree with amiaow.

After you remove all concrete and the sandpit, you could level the ground with a gentle slope back towards the fence. Then plant hedge to screen back fence, add new lawn and garden edging.

Looks like that it was originally a concrete base for the shed. Bit of an odd position I guess when you consider whats around it..

Unsure of council conditions, but there is trellis designed specifically for Good Neighbour fencing, which looks reasonable.

I'd definitely remove it if was indeed just a base. Rip up the pavers and extend sandpit if you wish. Otherwise Melb's suggestion of putting decking on top also would make it much more appealing.

An otherwise neat yard really.

Roll it with a nice mid/dark blue flooring paint, with some quality teak and aluminium outdoor furniture. Would come up looking great with some architectual plants in burgundy/deep red tall ceramic pots.

Last edited:
Back