Any recommendations for a builder in Perth

I have subdivided one of our blocks in Coolbellup, and would like to put a basic 3 x 2 + study on the vacant 430 sqm lot, to keep as a renter.

It's a nightmare trying to choose a builder - or even knowing where to start.

Does anyone have any recommendations (don't know if you can post them here though) or any horror stories (ditto), so I can narrow down the search a bit. At the moment I'm resorting to sticking pins in the Saturday and Sunday papers' "New Homes" liftouts. :confused:

Thanks!

A friend dealt with Summit developments, they seemed quite good but the deal fell through. Dale Alcock built my girlfriend old house and that had no defects that I could see.

Once you've sorted out a property I know of a great company BLACK ROSE CURTAINS & DECOR that can deal with your window treatments etc.

They are cheaper than your bigger stores (sometimes upto 3 times cheaper), and ensure a superior quality of product. If you buy from these big stores you may infact be buying BLACK ROSE products but at the premium price.

Check them out at [B]http://members.iinet.net.au/~blakrose/[/B] or reply to me for more info.

Maybe you can pass the word. Hope you find a builder.

Cheers

keg75

Last edited:
keg75 said:
Once you've sorted out a property I know of a great company BLACK ROSE CURTAINS & DECOR that can deal with your window treatments etc.

Thanks for your advice, Keg. I had a look at Black Rose Decor's website, and they seem to operate in only the northern suburbs. I will give them a whirl though.

Cheers

They operate in the whole metro area - but they do country areas aswell.

Good company, great products. You WON'T be dissapointed. :)

keg75

J Corp were the sub-contractor that did the house we are in.

My recommendation, if using them is to keep an eye on it, and don't sign off until completely happy. There are a number of defects, the worst of which is the pitiful tiling job throughout the house.

The person who built (my investment partner) was pressured into signing off and as a first time builder, made the mistake of doing so.

Lot's of lessons learnt...

Puppeteer said:
J Corp were the sub-contractor that did the house we are in.

My recommendation, if using them is to keep an eye on it, and don't sign off until completely happy. There are a number of defects, the worst of which is the pitiful tiling job throughout the house.

The person who built (my investment partner) was pressured into signing off and as a first time builder, made the mistake of doing so.

Lot's of lessons learnt...
Thanks for that, Puppeteer. If there's one thing I'm really anal about, it's tiling!!!!

Cheers

itinerantotter said:
I have subdivided one of our blocks in Coolbellup, and would like to put a basic 3 x 2 + study on the vacant 430 sqm lot, to keep as a renter.

It's a nightmare trying to choose a builder - or even knowing where to start.

Does anyone have any recommendations (don't know if you can post them here though) or any horror stories (ditto), so I can narrow down the search a bit. At the moment I'm resorting to sticking pins in the Saturday and Sunday papers' "New Homes" liftouts. :confused:

Thanks!

Hi Itinerantotter,

Have built with J-corp through one of their companies "the rural building company" was ok, but pricey. Have heard good things about Summit (mostly from my dad who works there - hahaha),

On a serious note I'd suggest you look at Dale Alcock, BGC (they own many building company brand names, but I think Impressions is the one that operate in lower final cost price range), Summit and any other building company you see active in your area. Meet with their various sales reps, see who you feel comfortable with and ask alot of questions, I mean tons of questions.

Like who will I be dealing with during the building process - you the rep or a project-site manager.
What time frame and guarantees do I get for completion time.
I have heard of final prices changing frequently for building costs - where is that in the contract, why do they happen and what is the normal cost over runs on your projects?
Exactly what is and isn't included in the finished product compared to this display home - Possibly suggest you have a video recording or took pictures of the display home to get a real honest answer.

Good luck

Paulie

Impressions were the company that did our house and sub-contracted J-Corp. Overall, I'd be hesitant about using them for future projects. Other's may have other experiences, but it's going to cost us $10k+ to get the house to the standards we have set.

Most of the grout has come out of the tiling (except for the grout remaining on the surface of the tiles :rolleyes: ) , the bath drain doesn't seal properly, there is rising damp on an interior wall adjoining a bathroom 12 months from completion, and the external floor drains have been installed in such a way that the little flap is jammed shut against the inside of the downpipe. This contributed the house getting completely flooded when the washing machine failed several weeks ago, resulting in the carpets needing to be "restored" and the floating flooring requiring replacement due to severe warping.

We are still awaiting a letter from Impressions after they inspected the rising damp 2 months ago, addressing their strategy for fixing the problem.

This is my experience with them, and in my opinion, their service leaves much to be desired.

Check your contract is still within your "defects liability Period" and Pester them. Contact Consumer Affairs (i think they changedt their name) and get them involved. Consumer affairs helped me out of a jam with dodgy PC vendor in Perth.

I think these companies think that they can keep you hanging till the 12 months is up and they know thay it's near on impossible to get anything after that period unless you pay for agood lawyer - most people give up and live with it..

I would also xheck into the flooding issue as the insurance company may make a claim against them for a improperly constructed drains etc.

Also if you build any more houses, spend that little bit extra and get the damp proofing around the bath and shower (not sure of it's name). They are impervious to water and you wont get the rising damp issue. If you paid for this to be installed, get them back in to redo it at THEIR cost.

DON'T LET EM SCREW YOU!!!!

keg75

P.s. People get your curtains etc through Black Rose Curtains & Decor - you will definately NOT have any of these problems... :)

Hi Keg,

The self-promotion of your business is a little too much sometimes as it detracts from the subject of the thread.

-Regards

Dave

Back