Any recourse against PM for tenant damage?

I recently returned from overseas to my house which had been rented for the period I was away. It was managed by a well-known real estate agent the whole time. The last tenants moved out the month before I moved back in and I let it be known to the PM to be thorough with the final inspection as I didn't want to be moving back into a house that needed cleaning, or had damage that needed to be repaired. The day I got home I ended up spending the entire afternoon cleaning and removing stuff from the house that was left from previous tenants. Have since discovered some damage that was never reported by the PM, assuming never noticed. The tenants are gone now, and not possible to determine which tenants have caused the damage anyway, and so unable to use any bond to recover costs, do I have any recourse against the agent to pay for damage that I now have to fix?

Lots of little things that will add up cost wise. Eg have a bank of cafeteria doors at the back of the house, quite a feature, tenants dog has scratched the s&$t out of the wooden frames. Something was dropped on the kitchen floor and there are 3 cracked tiles; stainless steel cooktop "cleaned" with a scoured to the point where no gas burner icons remain. Gouges and other damage to a number of walls. The list goes on and on. Have paid over $20000 in management fees over the years to this agent and VERY disappointed in the condition of the house. BTW thatbum, PM's only mention to me about the final inspection was that the range hood was a bit greasy but had gotten the tenant to come back to clean it. I'm not sure what part they "cleaned" but I couldn't find it. Don't even get me started on the pan with baked on food that was left int the oven, or the condition of the oven itself!

A late night brick through the agent's window might make you feel better, but that is illegal unfortunately, so don't even think about it.

Maybe give the agent a verbal bashing?

Clean up and fix the mess your self?

I don't have any other brain storming ideas

Back