Any scuba divers here?

Let's organise a somersoft dive meeting in Bali, Malaysia or Philippines :D

I've done Anilao in Philipines. It was my fav so far.

I'd be down for a trip, just not this half of the year, already have an o/a trip getting organised.

Maybe something local. South East Rocks? Shark diving.

If you guys organise a trip then let me know.

I'm looking at the Philippines later this year for myself. My brother is working in Manila.

I can also get significant discounts on airfares and hotels through a mate. Last time I flew I got 30% off the best price I found online.

My dive shop organises dive travel too. I can advise what they have coming up if anyone is interested.

Or if a local dive then I will come along. For those who are interested I can conduct any course to DM.

I love diving so let me know how I can help.

I've done the Philippines a couple of times. Quite good for muck diving and small critters. The wrecks of Corin bay are reasonably good. In a few isolated places there are some spectacular reefs.

I've also dived the Coral Sea, Fiji and the Maldives. Fiji had some of the best reefs, Coral Sea (Great Barrier Reef) has the largest and is actually one of the all round best locations. I had a lot of fun a few weeks ago current diving in the Maldives.

For wreck diving, I'm yet to dive a better place than Melbourne. The ship graveyard here is extensive, challenging and quite diverse in the nature of wrecks. Battle ships, cargo ships, paddle steamers and even three of submarines. The cons are it's cold and visibility isn't great.

Vanuatu is very high on my list, but probably not this year. I'm booked in to dive Truk Lagoon this Christmas. I am also thinking of a Minke Whale trip from Cairns in June (but I've got far more important things to spend money on this year).

I'm doing a friendly dive under Portsea Pier tomorrow (Saturday). Just an easy dive for my wife's sake. We may then go out on a boat if we feel like it later in the day. Feel free to PM me if anyone in Melbourne is interested.

I've done the Philippines a couple of times. Quite good for muck diving and small critters. The wrecks of Corin bay are reasonably good. In a few isolated places there are some spectacular reefs.

I've also dived the Coral Sea, Fiji and the Maldives. Fiji had some of the best reefs, Coral Sea (Great Barrier Reef) has the largest and is actually one of the all round best locations. I had a lot of fun a few weeks ago current diving in the Maldives.

For wreck diving, I'm yet to dive a better place than Melbourne. The ship graveyard here is extensive, challenging and quite diverse in the nature of wrecks. Battle ships, cargo ships, paddle steamers and even three of submarines. The cons are it's cold and visibility isn't great.

Vanuatu is very high on my list, but probably not this year. I'm booked in to dive Truk Lagoon this Christmas. I am also thinking of a Minke Whale trip from Cairns in June (but I've got far more important things to spend money on this year).

I'm doing a friendly dive under Portsea Pier tomorrow (Saturday). Just an easy dive for my wife's sake. We may then go out on a boat if we feel like it later in the day. Feel free to PM me if anyone in Melbourne is interested.

:( have to work

Best spots I know of include:
  • Coral Sea - Minke whales, Cod Hole, North Horn ( awesome shark dive)
  • Yongala Wreck (off Townsville)
  • Truk Lagoon (Micronesia)
  • Walindi (PNG)

Cheers

Jen

Did a couple of dives today. For Melbourne the water was quite warm (21 degrees), very pleasant in a 7mm suit.

The second dive was under Flinders pier. My wife counted 15 separate sea dragons including some very tiny ones.

Wreck diving to 50m tomorrow.

Jen I've got a great video of the North Horn shark dive. Very intense and we had front row seats! One of the best trips I've done.

here the link is
beware its us dollar
free international posta above $500...

http://www.divers-supply.com/Scuba-Gear-Value-System-Package-P1982.aspx

I bought two of these kits for my wife and myself. They are great!

Quick summary:

Regs: Sea elite regs not so good, upgraded to edge for main supply these are such good regs, balanced first and second stage. Probably the best breathing reg I have ever used. Ocy is sea elite hmmm I wouldn't trust them. It works but sounds a bit like a kazoo, unbalanced piston, it just feels cheap and I don't like it.

BCD: Sea elite BCD is actually really good integrated weights large pockets, lightweight and very comfortable. No need to upgrade this one.

Gauges: Are ok no complaints, I have a mares puck computer, seriously easy to use..

Sure beats renting gear at $80 a day and not ingesting other peoples fluids.

Anyway off to dive rapid bay and second valley next week, waiting for a dodge tide to dive the EX-HMAS Hobart.

Edit: I just pulled the SE reg apart the diaphragm was not seated correctly, tested out of water and seems much better. I can't believe how simple the design of these things are, Wont have to pay stupid amounts of money to get these serviced too easy to do yourself!

Last edited:
Went to a birthday party in Canberra last weekend. The theme was 1940s dress up, so I borrowed some antique dive gear from my club. The helmet weighs about 20kg and the suit is mostly rubber. The gear is entirely functional, we actually go diving with it a few times a year for kicks.

38 degrees, I was sweating by the time I had the suit up to my waist. I took it off after about 5 minutes.

The last photo is my wife, who dressed up as 'Rosie the Riveter'. ;)

Attachments

• 20140208_185232.jpg
    20140208_185232.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20140208_185238.jpg
    20140208_185238.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20140208_185824.jpg
    20140208_185824.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20140208_191802.jpg
    20140208_191802.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 44
I don't know how anyone could take up diving for fun in the 1940's having to wear that kind of gear! Looks anything but.

It's commercial gear, not really designed for fun, but to allow you to work underwater indefinitely.

The gear they wear today isn't much different. Stronger and lighter materials, improved design, but the principals are essentially the same.

Back