Any scuba divers here?

I'm diving to about 60m constant weight with fins. I have been deeper on training dives which is when I drop weight to surface.
After about 30m my biggest challenge is equalization.

I have done a lot of scuba dives in my past. But don't bother with all the gear most of the time nowadays. I can dive deeper for longer without air.

If you like scuba diving you will love free diving imagine the weightlessness without all that gear. Plus there is no noise. Bubble blowers have no idea how much noise they make - which is the main reason you rarely see any sharks.

Blacky

Do u mean use deters shark from approaching? Thought it actually attracts them to come investigate lol

Do u mean use deters shark from approaching? Thought it actually attracts them to come investigate lol

They will come in for a look, but not close enough for you to see them.... Mostly.
Freediving we see sharks more dives than not, it's unusual for us (in WA) not to see one on a dive.

Blacky

There's very few incidents of divers being attacked by sharks. In most cases they were hunting in some way which puts blood in the water.

My theory is that sharks think people taste better when they're acting like a piece of garnish on a fibreglass plank and splashing like a wounded fish.

Blacky a 60m free dive is very impressive, but I'll stick with my tanks holding fish driven on tracks for now. I'm thinking of a rebreather in about 12 months.

There's very few incidents of divers being attacked by sharks. In most cases they were hunting in some way which puts blood in the water.

My theory is that sharks think people taste better when they're acting like a piece of garnish on a fibreglass plank and splashing like a wounded fish.

Blacky a 60m free dive is very impressive, but I'll stick with my tanks holding fish driven on tracks for now. I'm thinking of a rebreather in about 12 months.

PT bear what other specialty have u got except AOW?

In order that I did them...

* Open water (entry level stuff)
* Advanced open water (40m deep dive, navigation, night, currents)
* Nitrox
* Wreck
* Solo diving (I don't usually solo dive, but it does make you a safer diver)
* Rescue (main lesson was don't put yourself in a position to get rescued)
* Posiden Recreational Rebreather (I had a cheap opportunity on holidays and I was curious)
* Advanced Nitrox (limited decompression diving to 45m)
* Technical diving introduction
* Normoxic Trimix (extended decompression diving to 60m)

I average about 100 dives a year, about half on holidays (in the tropics) and half in Melbourne (cold water). Most are below 30m with a handful beyond 45m.

I've got no desire to teach at an entry level unless it's a friend. My wife has AOW & Nitrox, she's done it all with professionals but I regularly put both of us through various drills. I am thinking of doing a Tech DM course and I'll probably go all the way for technical diving eventually.

If you're looking for a course after AOW, do Rescue. It's mostly surface skills, but quite challenging and will make you think about how you go about your diving. The last thing you want in diving is to need to be rescued.

Other than your obvious equipment, probably the most useful thing is a surface marker. Aside from marking your position, it's an easy way maintain your depth on safety stops. It also doubles as a useful surface float while you're waiting for a pick up. Most people don't carry one or the one they have is ineffectual, and a lot of people don't know how to use them effectively underwater.

In order that I did them...

* Open water (entry level stuff)
* Advanced open water (40m deep dive, navigation, night, currents)
* Nitrox
* Wreck
* Solo diving (I don't usually solo dive, but it does make you a safer diver)
* Rescue (main lesson was don't put yourself in a position to get rescued)
* Posiden Recreational Rebreather (I had a cheap opportunity on holidays and I was curious)
* Advanced Nitrox (limited decompression diving to 45m)
* Technical diving introduction
* Normoxic Trimix (extended decompression diving to 60m)

I average about 100 dives a year, about half on holidays (in the tropics) and half in Melbourne (cold water). Most are below 30m with a handful beyond 45m.

I've got no desire to teach at an entry level unless it's a friend. My wife has AOW & Nitrox, she's done it all with professionals but I regularly put both of us through various drills. I am thinking of doing a Tech DM course and I'll probably go all the way for technical diving eventually.

If you're looking for a course after AOW, do Rescue. It's mostly surface skills, but quite challenging and will make you think about how you go about your diving. The last thing you want in diving is to need to be rescued.

Other than your obvious equipment, probably the most useful thing is a surface marker. Aside from marking your position, it's an easy way maintain your depth on safety stops. It also doubles as a useful surface float while you're waiting for a pick up. Most people don't carry one or the one they have is ineffectual, and a lot of people don't know how to use them effectively underwater.

good info thx esp about the rescue side

btw where do u find ur diving buddy? through the dive shop u did ur training or some kind of internet forum?

Gopro is good for video, but not very useful for still photography. The uTube links I posted above were all done on the Gopro but for good photography you need a more specialized rig.

I thoroughly recommend the Rescue Diver course.

The scenarios are challenging and rewarding culminating in a search for an unconscious and unresponsive diver on the bottom, surfacing the victim, towing him to safety whilst administering rescue breaths and removing his and your equipment.

Lots of other useful information on the way.

It is the first course where you start being focused on other divers beyond your buddy and yourself.

That's the course that led me down the Divemaster and Instructor route.

I just certified 5 OW Divers today at the beautiful Nelson Bay. turtle, Stingrays, Numbrays (one gave my assistant an electric shock), lots of Wobbegongs, eels and octopi. Highlight was a very very friendly Blue Groper. he was huge and affectionate like a dog. A great Australia Day.

I really find it rewarding to take someone with normal fears and apprehensions and teach them something new and inspirational. Insructing really does it for me. This is a pastime that has something in it for everyone.

Anyone in the Newcastle area who wants to come for a dive just let me know. Ben if you have never been before we can find a way to make it happen.

good info thx esp about the rescue side

btw where do u find ur diving buddy? through the dive shop u did ur training or some kind of internet forum?

Most of my regular buddies have been people I've done courses with or through a dive club/shop. If I'm buddying with someone I don't know very well, we'll have a detailed briefing on various procedures.

The main reason I did the solo diving course is because a lot of buddies aren't as reliable as they should be. You should be able to rely on your buddy, but you shouldn't have to.

Dived to 65 metres once off Sudan on normal air to be amongst schooling hammerheads. Was a bit dumb inretrospect, only just had enough air to come up with deco stops.

Also what do u guys use for photography?

everyone was telling me gopro gopro gopro:cool:

I've also done my EFR and rescue diver and recommend it.
Unless you have a mate you go diving with, the dive shop will assign you a buddy but this isn't strictly adhered to in some countries where you generally dive together in a small group.

I use a Go pro and let the video run the whole time then take screenshots from it but this isn't ideal for pics. Get yourself an Olympus TG2 if you want to get into underwater photography. I've heard a few guys say it's better than the Canon G1X with an amazing macro. I'll be buying one soon.. approx 375 + 300 for housing.

here the link is
beware its us dollar
free international posta above $500...

http://www.divers-supply.com/Scuba-Gear-Value-System-Package-P1982.aspx

Looks good for the price but I'm not familiar with the manufacturer. You should post your question on the scuba board Tingtong linked to if you want feedback or opinions.

I've gone off the Apeks XTX200 and have decided to get an Oceanic Delta 4 after recently diving with a guy who owns one. Main benefits are the built in swivel and dry valve technology.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-36/...ulator-Maxflex-with-Dry-Valve-Technology.html

I'll throw my hand up for a Melbourne-SSers dive trip. Have 7 dives under my belt from a recent trip to Bali/Gilis and have been longing to get back in the water :)

A trip to Vanuatu to dive the President Coolidge is well worth while.

Took a few groups there when I had a Dive Shop.

Back