• Non smoker

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Ex smoker

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Quitting

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey as some of you know I am one of those silly people that smoked.

I have now give up for a week no patches cold turkey,so far so good.

I started smoking when I was 10.

Thought would be interesting to see how many smokers,ex smokers,non smokers,gving up etc are on somersoft.

Had my second last fag in '72.

Attitudes were different back then. Even non-smokers used to have an occasional puff, why I don't know. My last cigarette (over ten years after I quit) was AWFUL!

I was a passive smoker for 18 years of my life til I moved out of home. I tried the things as a teenager and couldn't stand them. To this day my opinion hasn't changed and personally I can't wait for the day when they ban the things.

Stopped 3 weeks ago after reading "Allen Carr's easyway", smoked for 40 years.

could not believe how easy it was and is.

Don't miss them at all.

Stopped 3 weeks ago after reading "Allen Carr's easyway", smoked for 40 years.

could not believe how easy it was and is.

Don't miss them at all.

Fabulous book!

(Although I still smoke :eek:)

But when I next give up, I will be implementing some of his very positive thought processes.

Oops - Well done James - keep up the good work & read the book if you need to, it may help :)

Last edited:
Are you serious or being sarcastic?

It was that effective?

Tom have a read (my second time)of the book if not do there seminar, you actually be excited to start.

We look after my elderly father in his late 70's I asked him when he started did he think he was going smoke till he was in his 70's. He said he thought that someday something would happen to make him stop, but it never came.
It absolutely controls his life in every aspect, and now days he can hardly laugh with out coughing up a lung.

You aren't giving up anything you are gaining something.

Good Luck,

PS it'll help with your saving plan

Good Luck,

PS it'll help with your saving plan

Thanks.

The saving plan is the bit my wife always goes on about. She is keen to see me give it up.

What you say about always imagining you would give it up one day is true;

I thought I would give it up when I finished high school indeed I did for a while.
I thought I would give it up when I had, number one, two and three kid.
I thought I would give it up when I lived in a new city, three times now! New environment you would think would make it easier.
I thought I would give it up when they recently became significantly more expensive.

I don't even know it is that hard if you actually try. The trouble is I enjoy a smoke and it gives me a chance to really think.

I am considering going on a trek with a couple of mates later this year. I think that might be my opportunity, go away from it all and not take any with me... work is my biggest issue.

Well for me it was a matter of funds I could not afford all 4 things, one had to go ---------- women - sex - booze - cigerettes.

I went cold turkey just said never again and happy with my decision cigerettes that is :D.

Brian

I watched my mother die of lung cancer last year.

She was officially diagnosed 6 months before she died, but she had the smokers' hack for about a year before that.

Did two rounds of chemo which made her really sick, and her last month was fulltime on the oxygen and wheelchair bound.

Died in a palliative care hospice in Bendigo; we watched her gasping for breath like a landed fish for the last 24 hours of her life - at aged 67.

Keep on puffin' boys and girls.

In case you all haven't seen them; there are lots of ads these days which will tell you how bad smoking is.

It's your choice, of course.

Two weeks into quitting, I read "the easy way" again, brilliant book. This is my third time trying now, seems a bit easier this time.

Its such a nasty drug, what is keeping me going this time is, I'm not addicted anymore after two weeks. So one cigarette isnt going to ease the uneasiness I feel. I would have to smoke a whole pack, and get addicted again to get that "relaxed feeling back" (Which cigarettes created in the first place).

So its just a matter of a couple more weeks and then apparantley the uneasiness feeling will start to fade.

For non smokers, its like being hungry most the time when you quit, the only way I can describe it. Maybe that can make it easier for you to understand why it is so hard.

For smokers trying to quit, I got drunk on Saturday, I went to future music on Sunday and got drunk again. I didnt smoke the whole time, it wasnt too hard, so dont let this put you off.

I have a bucks do and weddings for the next four weeks alternatively. I'm looking forward to them, not bothered about drinking and thinking of smoking.

Yeah I know I drink alot on the weekends!

Chomp

I thought I would give it up when I finished high school indeed I did for a while.
I thought I would give it up when I had, number one, two and three kid.
I thought I would give it up when I lived in a new city, three times now! New environment you would think would make it easier.
I thought I would give it up when they recently became significantly more expensive.

Coughing up a bit of blood or something might do the trick.

It's easy for us non smokers to be sanctimonious, though.

My uncle is on oxygen 24 hours a day and can't walk more than a dozen steps. Not cancer, just buggered lungs from a lifetime of determined smoking. The kicker is my two cousins - his sons - both smoke. They're in their 40s, so sort of past that 'I'm invincible' age we all go through. It drives me nuts seeing them smoke.

What you say about always imagining you would give it up one day is true;

I don't even know it is that hard if you actually try. The trouble is I enjoy a smoke and it gives me a chance to really think.
Yes, it is hard. And the reason you have not given up is simple. You're addicted & the tobacco company is ruling your life. It was when I honestly realised that the fags were controlling me that I couldn't stand it anymore & had to stop. It took more than 1 go but that was about 16 years ago. Wow, that sounds like a long time.
Every smoker says they enjoy a smoke - der! Every heroin addict enjoys a hit. It's because the craving is akin to hitting your head against a wall & then taking the drug makes it stop. Smoking does not 'relax' you except in this same way of giving in to the addiction. It actually increases your heart rate immediately.

You may still be young enough to think that you're not giving yourself a future of painful disease. But your mind is playing tricks on you. Take the opportunity to take your life back - while you still can.

Coughing up a bit of blood or something might do the trick.

Indeed.

I think what I need is someone to follow me around and hit me over the head with a 4 x 2 every time I light one up.

I imagine this would work? :eek:

In truth I would be all for the government banning them alltogether. I could then just smoke when I went overseas if I wanted to but it would be a hell of a lot less than I do now. I imagine this would not help the budget surplus we are targetting for 2013 though?

I'm very grateful that I had enough insight as a teenager to realise that if I had a cigarette, I would become addicted, so I never started, and havent even had a puff of a cigarette.

but I have had lung cancer. So, I think its important that the 2 are not so closely linked. Alot of people getting lung cancer now are never smokers or people who stopped smoking years ago. (some statistics say up to 60% of new diagnoses).

and alot of people who smoke will never get lung cancer. My friends who smoke felt guilty when I was diagnosed...... "it should have been them". But I dont think any of them stopped.

Obviously, there are plenty of other health issues from smoking..... but I just dont think the "scary" message actually works to get people to quit. It just makes people feel guilty, which tends to result in increased smoking....... and gives those of us who have lung cancer a stigma to overcome that people with other cancers dont need to deal with.

Quitting smoking is like losing weight...... looking from the outside, it looks like it should be easy and some people just seem to manage to be able to do it and stay off them. But for many, its an ongoing struggle. I dont think there are any easy answers.... apart from not to start!!

So, a great big dose of positive thinking and willpower to those of you who are on the quitting road!!! May you be breathing easier......

cheers
Pen

Quit smoking 19 years ago.

I had the flu at the time for 2 weeks and didnt feel up to smoking. I made a promise to myself that since I've been off them 2 weeks I would not have any more.

Havent touched one since.

Back