Anyone buy bargains on Gumtree

We furnished much of our weekender from gumtree , garage sales and bid,buy,sold which is an auction house is west sydney eg commercial display fridge for 400.

Gum tree Eg two large teak out door settings ( 8-10 seats ) each worth over 3 k . Both Vg condition , one ? 600 , another ( newer , more upmarket ) around 1 k .

Picked up a very nice , heavy wood dining table and 8 chairs from a waterfront Ihoise balmoral . They wanted to buy something new and didn't want to throw it away . Probably cost 2.5 - 3 k for 400.

There is crap and false advertising eg , someone trying to pass off a pine setting as teak ...
I get as much detail as possible prior to seeing it .

We found gumtree vg for picking up some very nice , relatively large ticket items at very good prices . Better value in the nice suburbs .

Cliff

I found a deceased estate sale on Gumtree, went along, made an offer on the house (not yet on the market) and got it for a decent price :D

I half furnished my house for about $1000. I bought two dining settings, two sets of two lounge suites, mirror, coffee table. It's all similar to what you can buy in the shops although the dining sets were nicer than what's in fashion now. I gave the lounges a good clean, went shopping and bought new throws and cushions. I like that I can chuck the throws in wash and lounges stay clean!

Better value in the nice suburbs .
Cliff

This is important. I am quite picky about which suburbs I search. Considering where I live, it usually means a decent drive for a bargain.

recently, I got a couple of $1000 lounges for $125 each, showroom condition. Just by limiting my suburbs to dalkieth and nedlands.

Honestly, I was surprised to find out that people in dakieth even bothered to advertise their old furniture on gumtree, but I wasn't complaining.

I found a deceased estate sale on Gumtree, went along, made an offer on the house (not yet on the market) and got it for a decent price :D

Fantastic, this is my new goal.

Fishing gear at a too good to be true price. It was legit. Am still laughing.

Also paid for fishing rod to be send over from WA. Seller was deceptive, then straight out fraudulent. Effective threats got my money back.

I like gumtree much more the ebay. I can smell more blood in the water when I give them a call direct.

:p
This is important. I am quite picky about which suburbs I search. Considering where I live, it usually means a decent drive for a bargain.

recently, I got a couple of $1000 lounges for $125 each, showroom condition. Just by limiting my suburbs to dalkieth and nedlands.

Honestly, I was surprised to find out that people in dakieth even bothered to advertise their old furniture on gumtree, but I wasn't complaining.

Fantastic, this is my new goal.

Nice work.

Find anything interesting on the verge:p

I salvaged the old chairs from Queens Hotel in Mt Lawley, I thought they were funky and my daughter would love them for her unit, she hated them.
Placed them on the front verge went within 10 minutes. As they say someone's garbage is someone's treasure.:)

MTR

HI All
My g/friend just purchased this for $20,000, Italian kitchen worth $65,000 + appliances.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clar...r-italian-made-kitchen-ex-display-/1024476706

She has also secured some great original paintings, Italian leather lounge suite.

I am doing something wrong, when I try to secure a bargain, go to view, turns out to be junk.

Anyone have any luck????

MTR
I actually do not like this kitchen at all, I would not pay $65,000 that's for sure.

Reminds me of the Italian kitchen featured in a Byron Bay property on "Grand Designs". We discussed the property some time ago on SS, anyone remember this:)

MTR

A friend of mine actually has HEAPS of really good quality 2nd hand office furniture for sale on gumtree. Eg formway/knoll life chairs which are around $1200-$1300 new going for $350-400

some guy came in, got full setup for 2 people including u shaped desk, divider, tambours, pedestals, chairs etc for around $1600 which i thought was a great bargain

gumtree can be fantastic

I like to sell on gumtree - people pay way too much. have sold second hand furniture for more than I paid new. there seems to be a perception that just because something is second hand it is cheap? I looked at BBQs for example... you only get a couple of seasons out of them before they rust out, sellers were asking more than you could go buy at the shops new with a good sale on, plus you get f/flyers, warranty, tax invoice, shiny new appliance etc

And forgot to mention I bought a solid wood 1920's desk for $30 with drawers down both sides and almost perfect condition for its age. An old school friend just left Perth. She travels all over world with her hubby's mining job. The company pays for their accomodation and was paying about $1500/wk for their accomodation in subiaco. When she left recently she put heaps of furniture on the verge. Would love To know what she chucked!

I like to sell on gumtree - people pay way too much. have sold second hand furniture for more than I paid new. there seems to be a perception that just because something is second hand it is cheap? I looked at BBQs for example... you only get a couple of seasons out of them before they rust out, sellers were asking more than you could go buy at the shops new with a good sale on, plus you get f/flyers, warranty, tax invoice, shiny new appliance etc

I have an Italian black leather lounge suite that I would just love to sell, I paid $6000 never used it, just left it in one of our rooms, then we moved house about 6 years ago, still looks quite stylish, perhaps I should give it a go, place it on gumtree, I thought I would get nothing for it so did not bother.

Bought a boat on gumtree for $18k, used it for 8 months (putting 100hrs on the it, it only had 200hrs on it when i bought it) and then sold it for $25k and 2 cartons of beer. $7k profit and free use of a boat for a summer, can't complain.

Had better luck using the quokka for buying used cars. Bought a couple of cars from the quokka and on-sold later for a profit (not huge profits though).

I have an Italian black leather lounge suite that I would just love to sell, I paid $6000 never used it, just left it in one of our rooms, then we moved house about 6 years ago, still looks quite stylish, perhaps I should give it a go, place it on gumtree, I thought I would get nothing for it so did not bother.

it's a high price point is the problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try

... and costs nothing to advertise but a bit of your time.

I bought and sold on Gumtree but not real keen on their "demand money back". Sold a saddle that was in excellent condition for it's age - then had to pay for it's return when the buyer claimed it was not excellent (as horsey friends will dispute with her) ... suspect she tried it on her horse and it didn't fit right so wanted her money back - at my expense.

Actually - from memory that was paypal thru which the issue was raised and basically no recourse on my behalf ... not Gumtree ... my bad.

But the item was "sold" thru Gumtree ... sorry ... head cold

Last edited:
lizzie;1062257 I bought and sold on Gumtree but not real keen on their "demand money back". [/QUOTE said:
Are you saying a condition of selling on Gumtree is agreeing to give refunds on second hand goods?

If so, how is this enforceable?

oh yeh NEVER accept paypal for anything unless you are forced to (which basically means if you want to sell on ebay)

paypal is expensive and at any time the sender can just get their money back off you

Back