Anyone buy bargains on Gumtree

I use gumtree all the time. We have moved a lot in the last coule of years and have found storing our good furniture and just buying and selling cheaper stuff whenever we move is much cheaper than paying to move stuff all the time.

I agree with PP who said it is all about the suburb. We usually get package deals and offer less money to take everything.

Most of the time it is cheaper to get something off Gumtree than it is to fix it. Our washing machine just broke - it was going to cost me $180 to fix it, picked up a virtually brand new one on Gumtree for $120 and sold the broken one for parts for $30 :)

I bought a house off there last week $8K. Bargin (house only :) )

I use gumtree all the time. We have moved a lot in the last coule of years and have found storing our good furniture and just buying and selling cheaper stuff whenever we move is much cheaper than paying to move stuff all the time.

I agree with PP who said it is all about the suburb. We usually get package deals and offer less money to take everything.

Most of the time it is cheaper to get something off Gumtree than it is to fix it. Our washing machine just broke - it was going to cost me $180 to fix it, picked up a virtually brand new one on Gumtree for $120 and sold the broken one for parts for $30 :)

I bought a house off there last week $8K. Bargin (house only :) )

Wow, you a good bargain hunter, I think also a good point, don't bother fixing just go to gumtree. We generally just buy new, but I am going to start doing this.

We can be we very wasteful.

Side issue, I had a storage unit full of furniture that I had to hold for 3 months from a tenant I evicted, the tenant did not want it and neither did any of the charities we phoned. Almost brand new washing machine and fridge, I just gave them away, the rest went to the tip.

I would have thought the charities would have jumped at it.

Gumtree is awesome for finding bargains. If you want to furnish your IP for whatever reasons, you can pick up quality stuff for *free*. I picked up an Ikea computer desk (RRP ~$200-300) for $50 and an Ikea coffee table (RRP $150) for $30 lol. Both were near new.

What's the problem with paypal??

the payer can call back their funds by either raising a dispute or just saying they never authorised the transfer. that's why when you advertise on gumtree you get a million idiots contacting you asking if you will sell your lounge-car-horse-whatever by paypal because they are on an oil rig-submarine-airplane-whatever.

There must be a big warehouse full of scammed junk somewhere

it can be fun tho, I had one guy on an oil rig that was experiencing bad weather (hence couldn't phone me) wanting to buy a table and chairs with paypal, wanting to know when his dad could come and sign the transfer papers (?!), so I conversed with him for many weeks, breaking the unfortunate news to him every time I 'sold' one of the chairs and wanting to renegotiate the price for the balance.

Back