Anyone done Route 66?

"Me and me mates" threw the idea around today and it sounds good.

Doing a search you get swamped with hits. Anyone done it, and what were the highlights?

I travelled down part of it on a Contiki bus many years ago. Were some quirky little places we stopped at and a few roadhouses that serve up some big feeds. In between though it can be a little boring, which was good for us to catch up on some z's after many nights of being out on the town.

Yeah back in '99 we did the portion from Kingman Arizona to Seligman airport,
while on our way from Vegas to Grand canyon.
map here

Just so happened on that day there was a rally with all the old 50's cars all around us on the whole section. Was excellent!

So, I'd make sure there is some sort of rally on at the time.

Be great on bikes.

Think you'll find it's not one continuous highway. made up of many routes across the nation. Have fun, I know you will.

I must add also that the whole time I was driving along on this highway, I couldn't help but feel I was actually in a movie. Sometimes eerie but mostly fun as another old chevy thundered past us...
The old garages and outback shanty towns are for real, just like in the movies. yep!

Last edited:
Think you'll find it's not one continuous highway. made up of many routes across the nation. Have fun, I know you will.

I'm aware of that. It ceased to be a designated highway a couple of decades ago. It starts in Chicago so I wouldn't want to do all of it, just the southern part. Apparently you can't hire Mustangs or Harleys in Chicago either. :(

BTW What time of year was that rally? I also want to see a NASCAR race.

The US is good fun anyway, and there's lots of stuff to see around route 66. I would focus less on the highway itself, and more on the things to see within the areas you will be going.

For example, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon are must see.

I did it with Contiki too although I cannot remember much of it. I do remember the entire trip was really fun. I do like the US though and think it is a great place. Grand Canyon was amazing and i had a great time drinking with the locals in Scottsdale, Arizona. They stopped my friend and I as we had a map and they needed to look at it (pre iPhone GPS days). They took us everywhere and paid for everything. I was like this -> :eek: what are Jaegar Bombs?

Another must for me would be to visit Navajo People in New Mexico. I've heard they are a lovely race who worship the eagle and work silver so I would take a Perth Mint wedge-tailed eagle coin as a gift.

I would love to take some wedgie tail feathers from road kill with me too but that's illegal. [ill-eagle? :)] They must use dyed chicken feathers for any head-dresses they sell to the public because it is illegal for non-Indians to posses bald eagle feathers.

We did the entire thing, from Santa Monica Pier where the sign says it starts and right to the end, in Chicago. Our trip was mid July to mid August 2010.

Then we travelled to Niagara Falls Canada side and down to watkins Glen race track to watch Nascar, on to New York and the surrounds. Sounds like you want to do exactly what we did :D. Oh, we spent time in San Fran first too. Alcatraz was cool!

Was the trip of a lifetime. We got to see so much in such a little time. Its a great topic of conversation over beers/BBQ and we are heading back next year again. Love it!

Not to do the drive though. Its one thing that is great to do, but once only. I thoroughly recommend it.

The time we went was perfect too. Vegas was excellent weather (always a highlight) and Chicago was a massive surprise, we loved it, great city (given the season we were there) so we stayed on 2 extra days there.

We also loved Niagara Falls and New York, stayed 1 street from Times Square. If you do the holiday properly, it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg, going with 4 people makes it much cheaper too.

I better stop now, once I get on this topic I go on forever

If you have a hankering to do the trip, I can only offer what the others have said, immense fun and adventure, the people are incredible, the food delightful, the countryside unique and BIG and beautiful...the doing of stuff is so cheap compared to home.

Something a little offtrack 66, (mountains of California):

xeetro.jpg

Have found the traffic to be very courteous, patient, cordial, and not seen one accident yet. The driving on 'wrong' side of the road is unnerving still to say the least, and there is this little dancey thing about stop signs, kinda not stopping fully but more give way, roads, highways well signaged, navigator being used, no serious getting lost problems, just minor disorientations...

Go for it. Have fun.

Was late April early May and a perfect time to be there which is their spring,

We just happened upon the route 66 on our way from Vegas to Grand Canyon...I saw the sign route 66, looked at the Rand McNally Map we had and thought well this will still get us to where we are going and why not... Just so happens this rally was on so not sure if it's an annual event but Im sure there would be plenty similar events.

Re: your preference for the southern route...I agree as we never intended to do the cities, we just stayed in small country towns and got to know the locals of a night at dinner time and moved on...was terrific, def recommend just cruising thru.

I will say again tho, the feeling of being in a movie was Paramount (pun intended).

Everyone in the world must attend Vegas then do that run thru the deserts to the Rockies. 3 days in Vegas is enough, see the shows, but dont bother with the gambling you can do that here/anywhere.

Im excited for you going over there, you will love it to death.

Great show.. I always feel so sorry for him though.... particularly on the plane. What a nightmare!!
Interesting watching him at the Amish farm....... I thought he was happiest there that I've ever seen him. It was a challenge to me that happiness often grows out of simplicity.

Venice Beach Los Angeles, couple of snaps, the variety of food and relatively inexpense of dining is fantastic, the weather just seems to stay gorgeous one day, beautiful the next.

16axjjl.jpg

2a6tfg4.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Sunfish, I was just killing time in a bookshop at Melbourne airport and saw a book on Route 66 by Billy Connolly. I'm guessing it would be a good read.
Scott

Back