Anyone else get a massive payrise

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...02704?fb_ref=rec-top&fb_source=home_multiline

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard's salary will soar by $90,000 to about $470,000, making her more highly paid than US President Barack Obama and British PM David Cameron.

And Liberal turncoat and newly elected Speaker Peter Slipper will earn at least $315,000 after snaring a $70,000 salary hike as part of a generous pay rise for federal MPs to be unveiled as early as next week.

Only days after the Gillard Government announced plans to slash public spending as part of a savage mini-budget to bring government coffers back into surplus, The Courier-Mail can reveal the base salary for even the most junior parliamentarian will jump from $140,000 to at least $180,000.

I am interested to know are there any other industries offering such high payrises in these uncertain times?

My last increase:

3.7% + an extra roughly $2 an hour in 'penalties', 15% penalty increase start time wound back another hour.

Not 'massive', but decent.

The next set of EBA negotiations are coming up start of next year, I wonder what the latest demands will be...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...02704?fb_ref=rec-top&fb_source=home_multiline

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard's salary will soar by $90,000 to about $470,000, making her more highly paid than US President Barack Obama and British PM David Cameron.

And Liberal turncoat and newly elected Speaker Peter Slipper will earn at least $315,000 after snaring a $70,000 salary hike as part of a generous pay rise for federal MPs to be unveiled as early as next week.

Only days after the Gillard Government announced plans to slash public spending as part of a savage mini-budget to bring government coffers back into surplus, The Courier-Mail can reveal the base salary for even the most junior parliamentarian will jump from $140,000 to at least $180,000.

I am interested to know are there any other industries offering such high payrises in these uncertain times?

plenty of people i know in perth have had pretty decent payrises across a few sectors, banking, IT, engineering, mining/mining services

ive got no problem with our politicians being paid more, hopefully it will start weeding out the idiots (yes that is the majority of them at the moment)

I think your definition of 'pay' needs alot of work.

I would suspect, if we are privy to their overall package - you know {cash component, electorate allowance, postal allowance, travel allowance, gold pass, super benefits etc etc } and all of the other stuff.....

I think you'll find that the cash component has gone up and a lot of the other stuff has either been eliminated or severely curtailed.

The journo, to sensationalise things, as usual, has focused on the cash component going up and ignored the rest.

I wouldn't be surprised if their total pay would have risen by 2% pa.

Most normal people just get 'pay'...the cash component, and the journo is playing on that.

Would you rather have { 5+1+2+1+1+1+2+ } or { 9+1+2+1 } ??

....the second option has a massive 80% jump doesn't it ??

Prime Minister Julia Gillard's salary will soar by $90,000 to about $470,000, ?

I don't mind the prime minister getting that much. Plus all the extra's they get. It would be a rotten job. They deserve it all. But I'd like to see all other public servants get less than the prime minister. The PM's job should be the top paying one. All the rest should get less, but currently there are heaps who get way more than Julia.

See ya's.

Yes the public servants who get paid the most are those at the head of the government's own companies like ASIC, APRA etc.

Further to that, the head of the ATO is looking for a 58% pay rise to take his salary to approx $800,000. His main reason was that this would bring him 'in line' with other heads of government agencies.

I took a massive pay cut ... as in $0 per week at the moment ... to start my own business this year. Absolutely loving it though. Does help to have a partner that still works.

I agree with Aaron - less hours at same pay is better than more pay for same hours.

I took a massive pay cut ... as in $0 per week at the moment ... to start my own business this year. Absolutely loving it though. Does help to have a partner that still works.

I agree with Aaron - less hours at same pay is better than more pay for same hours.

Well done on taking the plunge. Best of luck with it, God knows we need it with this impending recession.

bonuses and payrise tied into the performance and sales of the group of the company - so yeah basically nothing except leave loading.

So yeah basically, if the next 12 month go the same as the last 12 months, you will basically get paid more bonus & more leave loading, for bascially doing the same job. (?)

Last edited:
Back