Anyone ever mentored

Just curious, has anyone on SS been asked to provide mentoring services and followed through... paid or unpaid ... either way ???

I think this would be very difficult to do successfully, happy to be proven wrong.

Its taken me some time to realise that what works for me may not necessarily work for someone else as there are so many variables involved.

Also think there is way too much pressure on the mentor for the student to achieve similar outcome/result in a short time frame??

I have always been happy to provide advice but when it comes to mentoring I feel it is taking it to another level and it is such a huge responsibility, who says I am always going to get it right or that strategy is right for xxx.

Anyone been down this road:)

MTR:)

You can mentor me :D

In return I can wash dishes, make coffee/tea, walk your dog, wash your car and lots more. I can even try cooking but you are not going to like the results.

I'd be a low maintenance minimal trouble, no pressure and zero responsibility student who is a delight to work with, extremely appreciative AND remembers send you a Christmas card and the regular nice drop of plonk.

Also getting very good at changing nappies if you need that service.

You can mentor me :D

In return I can wash dishes, make coffee/tea, walk your dog, wash your car and lots more. I can even try cooking but you are not going to like the results.

I'd be a low maintenance minimal trouble, no pressure and zero responsibility student who is a delight to work with, extremely appreciative AND remembers send you a Christmas card and the regular nice drop of plonk.

Also getting very good at changing nappies if you need that service.

Very funny... haha. But I don't have anymore babies they are all grown up.

Zero responsibility I like:)

I do it, I enjoy working with other people and helping them define their risk profile, goals and work towards finding a project that fits that.

Their strategy/projects are invariably very different to mine as most are at the beginning of their journey and I find it interesting.

There is no right or wrong though, nor should your mentee expect miracles. There is no guarantees in developing and a Mentor provides guidance, another point of view, and experience.

In some ways it is very similar to the career mentoring that I would do as a manager at work. We would look at goals and aspirations, set some achievable targets, think about what experience is needed to attain those targets and also provide a sounding board for how to manage situations.

I do it, I enjoy working with other people and helping them define their risk profile, goals and work towards finding a project that fits that.

Yes, most of us new investors actually need help with defying goals, strategy, risk profile and etc. Internet, books, this forum is all full of information but there is so much to take in and sometimes more I read and understand more confused I get....
Having someone's opinion built on his experience to help me set up my own goal and work on strategy would be invaluable...

Thanks Sim, that was a good read.

I liked what "The Wife" had to say, I think this happens a fair bit... these are her comments

"But I cant tell you how many times people have asked me things like, teach me how to fish. And what they really want, is for me to guarantee that they will make money.

Thats basically it, they want a guarantee, now if what I tell them doesnt work for them, they will be upset, say they had a bad teacher".

I also like the idea of a mentor being a sounding board, however the client/investor should be prepared to put in the hard yards, best way to learn IMO.

On the flip side I have had young investors contact me wanting some information/direction and have been absolutely gobsmacked how some of these guys take the bull by the horn and fly and I have learnt from them some useful little tricks along the way, in particular how to get the best out of valuations, great stuff.

MTR:)

Back