Anyone know their laser levels?

For someone who wants to renovate a whole house for the first time, is this worth a shot?
http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1022&bc=no

Seems very cheap but with reasonable claimed accuracy.

Depends if the house is out of level?

For reno Id just hire on the day you need.
Long spirit levels (or short coupled with long straight edge} should do most things requiring levelling I would have thought. Plus string lines of course.

Depends how much you like collecting gadgets.

For most uses a spirit level is easier to use, for longer spans a plastic tube filled with water is accurate.

For someone who wants to renovate a whole house for the first time, is this worth a shot?
http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1022&bc=no

Seems very cheap but with reasonable claimed accuracy.

Seems ok but you can do better (in particular the 90 degree dot point function.
The line lasers are very handy but for your angles; you cant go past one that does full functions.
SPALCO in Melbourne are cheap for lasers and have one that has all the bells and whistles. I use one at work and it does dot point for plumb, 90 degrees and 180 degrees and has both vertical and horizontal line lasers.
IMO a laser is a necessity for a serious renovator.
Nothing worse than puting in a kitchen or vanity etc that doesnt have square walls etc. How frustrating!!

Hi Jake,
The ryobi link is a US page but the unit seems overly cheap and has mixed reviews on the web (but I cant find any reviews on the chicago unit so...)

MrB,
Yep, I've used the clear tube with water method and it works well, it's just that the laser levels seem to get great reviews from those that use them.

Dog,
Can you elaborate on the 90degree dot point function and what I should be looking for and can I do better for the price? What do mean by "full functions"?

To elaborate a bit more... I'm a tradesman (unrelated trade tho)and I buy tools that I expect to get 10+ years out of with moderate use. I don't buy the absolute best but I don't like rubbish either (i'm steering away from the Ryobi but might be convinced)

Thanks for the input so far.

Ok Im back... The 90 degree dot points simply means that unlike the line type beam that several lasers do; there are also several that literally shoot a point of laser light in a dot on a wall for example. The more dot points they do, generally the better as they will generally only do either one dot top and bottom (for plumb function) and one dot straight forwards and one side at the same time for the 90 degrees.
Some better lasers have more functions and will shoot front, and both sides with the plumb function also. Front and both sides means both sets of 90 degrees. The supplier I reccomended was simply because they have a product that I have been using for years that Ican vouch for.
You could always buy Hilti brand with excellent quality and being repairable, but you could buy 3 of these in that time for less $
My 2c.

Back