Anyone want to bet how long to hand over?

Well, the bricklayers start today on our small (257 sq metres) two storey PPOR in Perth. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to handover date??

A Riverstone monster (circa 1000sqm by the looks...) up the road looks like being finished now. Only took them two and a half years from slab down. Not to mention the best part of $5m from what I hear. Family of three will be living there - the landscapers planted a big tree right in the middle of their view.

I hope they enjoy it...

13mths is my guess.

Is that because you think there are shortages in the industry myf.

i thought builders always aimed at 6 months for a simple 4x2.

in saying that my slabs been down for ages and they are only half way through the bricks now. i hope it doesn't drag out to be a a year though !!

Thanks everyone for the input and the jokes! Builders said earliest would be February/March next year so I guess we'll see. Still can't get my head around why it takes so long for a simple two storey in WA. Seems crackers but I think that's just the way it is. Does anyone know if they generally pour the second floor slab? Seems strange to do it that way. Wouldn't it make more sense to use pre-cast?

Is that because you think there are shortages in the industry myf.

i thought builders always aimed at 6 months for a simple 4x2.

in saying that my slabs been down for ages and they are only half way through the bricks now. i hope it doesn't drag out to be a a year though !!

I guessed that simply because it's a 2 storey and they take longer than a single storey.

Thanks everyone for the input and the jokes! Builders said earliest would be February/March next year so I guess we'll see. Still can't get my head around why it takes so long for a simple two storey in WA. Seems crackers but I think that's just the way it is. Does anyone know if they generally pour the second floor slab? Seems strange to do it that way. Wouldn't it make more sense to use pre-cast?

They always pour the second floor slab. It would be too hard to do precast as there is so many plumbing/electrical/aircon ducts etc that are built into it.

The second floor slab cures for 4-6 weeks then they can lay the second storey bricks on it.

I guessed that simply because it's a 2 storey and they take longer than a single storey.

They always pour the second floor slab. It would be too hard to do precast as there is so many plumbing/electrical/aircon ducts etc that are built into it.

The second floor slab cures for 4-6 weeks then they can lay the second storey bricks on it.

WA build techniques.....takes too long. That would take 6 months in max Melbourne. :D Some project builders even less.

It's normal practice in Ireland to use pre-cast for the second floor. They crane in slabs and lay then on in a day. I don't know how they overcome the issues you mentioned Westminster .. but there must be a way as it is pretty normal building process there. The precast slab does not come in one piece but in multiple pieces that are usually craned in in one day. It seems to me that this must be an attractive way to build as you do not risk quality problems with pouring of slab on site, and you get the second floor down in one day.

I'm sure that there must be reasons that this is not done in WA. Just curious to know what they are. No supplier of this kind of pre-cast in WA? Pre-cast more expensive that poured slab in WA? That seems a bit unlikely as you would think that a factory producing precast would be vastly more efficient than a team having to shutter and pour on site etc...

WA is insanely different (and unwilling to change!) to any other state with our obsession with bricks and concrete.

Precast sounds like a wonderful idea as it can cure offsite and be ready to lay on straight away. Ah that would be bliss rather than watching cement dry.

Back