Apartment boom headed for Sydney?

To quote an old RE saying:
The best time was yesterday.
The second best time is today.
Tomorrow is too late. ;)

On a serious note, I'd stay away from HT's new stuff and buy established older near transport.

To quote an old RE saying:
The best time was yesterday.
The second best time is today.
Tomorrow is too late. ;)

On a serious note, I'd stay away from HT's new stuff and buy established older near transport.

Hi propertunity, would you cosider stock that was built about 8-10 years back and adjacent to harry's stuff worth a look. (refering to vic park zetland).Thanks

Good for cashed up developers. I am seeing lots more mortgagee sales these days of commercial properties, won't be long till that flows through to residential.

Hi propertunity, would you cosider stock that was built about 8-10 years back and adjacent to harry's stuff worth a look. (refering to vic park zetland).Thanks

Anything is worth a look, but this is not one of those things that leaps out at me.

I prefer 3 storey walkups in 1960/70's buildings near (not on top of) train station. Where there are no new developments taking place.

Anything is worth a look, but this is not one of those things that leaps out at me.

I prefer 3 storey walkups in 1960/70's buildings near (not on top of) train station. Where there are no new developments taking place.

But admit it. This is because these places match your clothes and sideburns!

But admit it. This is because these places match your clothes and sideburns!

This is about my rejection of your offer for drinks.....right? :( :p:p

No, I hate these red brick monstrosities but what I love about them is the CG and the renovation potential. That and the fact that burnt orange kitchen benchtops and lava lamps and sitting around is bean bags is really hip man. :) Do they still make flared jeans with red inserts?

This is about my rejection of your offer for drinks.....right? :( :p:p

No, I hate these red brick monstrosities but what I love about them is the CG and the renovation potential. That and the fact that burnt orange kitchen benchtops and lava lamps and sitting around is bean bags is really hip man. :) Do they still make flared jeans with red inserts?

They're really money spinners though? All I see is no depreciation, no natural light, no character, appallingly cheap construction standards and inadequate sinking funds. These things are WMDs, surely!

...no natural light, no character, appallingly cheap construction standards...

Surely you're talking about a lot of the new highrise developments these days Belbo? The ones I've seen popping up in Melbourne are pretty terrible dogboxes...

Yes, like that but on the top floor or on the ground floor with a useable courtyard. ;)

I actually looked at that very block about 2 years ago. No courtyards. Plenty of concrete paving though. Would you recommend top floor for the depression era views of New Canterbury Road or the first world mobile phone reception?

I actually looked at that very block about 2 years ago. No courtyards. Plenty of concrete paving though. Would you recommend top floor for the depression era views of New Canterbury Road or the first world mobile phone reception?

Well I wouldn't necessarily be recommending Canterbury as a suburb choice. I was merely saying that, that was typical of the type of look of a unit block you'd be looking at. :cool:

Are you Ok Belbo? You sound a bit depressed. :confused:

Well I wouldn't necessarily be recommending Canterbury as a suburb choice. I was merely saying that, that was typical of the type of look of a unit block you'd be looking at. :cool:

Are you Ok Belbo? You sound a bit depressed. :confused:

I apologise for any hint of despondency in my comments. Probably just renewed despair at my fellow man following me here from other threads. The arrant nonsense some people must forcibly will themselves to believe every morning, just floors me sometimes. But where were we . . . ?

Ah yes! Please take my contrary attitude above regarding your recommendation of 70s six-packs simply as a dim-witted effort at devil's advocacy. I was actually hoping you'd arc up with a spirited counter-argument, and would definitively establish for the OP and others (including myself) what an excellent investment choice these apartments are!

So, to get the educational ball rolling let me offer the following example of my own very limited experience for consideration and critique -

I bought something similar myself in Alexandria not too far at all from a station just over 4 years ago. A 2x2x1 (although in a relatively low rise 25yr old block of around 140 units) for $374K, renting then at $375/wk. I've done nothing at all to it except throw in a $2.5K Freedom furniture pack. The rent is due to go up to $620/wk on 1 July, and in current condition I'd get $510K for it in today's market (and somewhat more if I were to refresh/renovate). I self-manage it, and it's been vacant for less than one week in 4 yrs.

However, as my apartment is in a big block of many with beautiful gardens, a swimming pool and a small gym (and even a couple of lifts) it has one nasty downside. Yes, big body corp fees, at around $1K a quarter. They're a bugbear yessiree, but the place does have a nice resort look and is in excellent upkeep condition (as far at least as I am aware), so I wear them bravely.

Better yet, I think its best CG days are ahead of it too. With the Green Square development finally moving full steam ahead not too far away, I reckon this one was a very smart buy. (Or dumb-luck. I gave it a total of about 10 minutes due diligence before submitting my first lowball offer in response to their asking price of $418K, and brashly presented them with a deposit cheque to seal the deal that very afternoon. :eek:)

stories like that kill me inside! :(

at the height of the first home buyer scam 4 years ago, i spent many a weekends scouring redfern, alexandria waterloo "golden triangle" area...could not bring myself to justify the $450k~ price tag for most 2 - 3 bedders thinking it was some mini FHOG bubble......

Unluckily I ended up buying in West Ryde which hasn't nearly had as much growth.....lets hope west ryde becomes the next culture hub?!?!??!

Never underestimate the stubborness of Sydney real estate

stories like that kill me inside! :(

at the height of the first home buyer scam 4 years ago, i spent many a weekends scouring redfern, alexandria waterloo "golden triangle" area...could not bring myself to justify the $450k~ price tag for most 2 - 3 bedders thinking it was some mini FHOG boom......

Unluckily I ended up buying in West Ryde which hasn't nearly had as much growth.....lets hope west ryde becomes the next culture hub?!?!??!

Never underestimate the stubborness of Sydney real estate

I can relate, I looked at a 2x2x1 in zetland back in late 06. 4 year old ,top floor, north aspect into internal courtyard,crossover design. Agent said vendor would accept $445k. I blew it. It could sell for $630k or more now and rent for $650-680 pw. Thats why i dont think cap gain is limited to red/yellow brick. Or am i wrong?

Oh Jeez, that backfired! I was trying to enthuse you guys, not bring you down. There are plenty of brilliant buys in this field around these days. What you need is a dose of Propertunity's good sense and market insight to pep you up. Prop, WTF are you?

Last edited:
Yes, like that but on the top floor or on the ground floor with a useable courtyard. ;)

Propertunity,

My strategy of choice is also to renovate three storey 70's, 80's apartments in Sydney's southwest.

Just wondering is there is any reason why you prefer the top or ground floor.

Anything wrong with the second floor?

Back