API Magazine Question

G'Day All,

I recently subscribed to API magazine because I was having real problems finding it in my local newagents. I was wondering if any other subscribers knew of their publishing schedule. The first edition I got through the mail was the October/November edition. This arrived in the first week of November. I am still waiting for the December/January edition. The website was updated early last week.

Much Thanks,

Reeg.

i picked the latest edition up on tues last week from newsagency.
It will be in the mail im tippin.
Excellent issue i might add.

Steve

Hi Reeg,

I'm a subscriber - only received mine in last weeks mail.

They usually don't arrive early in the month to me but this has been the latest I've received it (But only been subscriber last 10 months). Maybe something to do with Christmas?

Lily

I received my copy today (Monday). Excellent issue. Brilliant article on small development syndicates by Geoff Doidge and Paul Eslick.

:cool: bananas,

Lotana

G'Day & Happy New Year to All,

As it turns out my copy arrived on Tuesday. Seems that may be the norm then that it comes at the end of the month.

Reeg

Hi reeg,

havn't recieved mine yet either, but sounds like it'll be another good edition. chompin at the bit to get it as always. It's by monthly (is that Buy, By or Bye??? :rolleyes: ) have to be careful with that word!

Ed.

Has anyone also noticed the difference in paper & print quality in the DEC/JAN issue? Alot thinner pages & less gloss.

I think the magazine is undergoing a conversion from a glossy brochure to a serious source of research and info.

Lotana

I always buy it at the newsagent because it seems to arrive earlier . Was in the newsagent some 2 weeks ago. The magazine is improving with each edition many good articles. cant wait for my next fix. The article on rentals with the data of past year and the 10 years is very good but the data is very misleading and inaccurate for the area that I have a keen interest (Western suburbs Melbourne.) Me thinks I will write into the magazine to put them on the right track.

Page 102 rental stats for Victoria. by post code.
They are very misleading and so inaccurate.

Being only interested in the western suburbs I can only make my judgements on those state. I cant comment for the rest of Victoria's stats.

The stats show the names of minor areas even though the post codes also relates to larger areas which will distort the true figures.

ie Williamstown North and Williamstown are both 3016. two different medium prices and rental returns. Also for Williamstown the rent rate at 6.76% over the last 10 years. "Tell them they're dreaming" (The Castle.)

post code 3030 states Werribee South rental $225. a small blot on the map and some distance fro Werribee itself. very few houses in the area. The post code is also for Werribee which has many thousands of houses.
Werribee rental 2002 averaged $170-180

post code 3024 is Wyndham Vale average rental 2002 was $10 pw less than Werribee. The stats are saying $200.

It all small stuff but unknowing investors will use the data for making investment decisions and will get burnt.

There thats off my chest. Sorry

Thats all Residex data isnt it ?

Whilst what they do is great...I think some more explanations of how they calc data is needed (especailly for their house price explorer reports which use growth rates for the entire LGA rather than specific suburbs) and we all know how many different markets there is within a LGA

For example of what I remember of the rental data it is calculated for the postcode then the name field is a sample suburb within that postcode.

So to take your example :
==============================================

Post code 3030 states Werribee South rental $225. a small blot on the map and some distance fro Werribee itself. very few houses in the area. The post code is also for Werribee which has many thousands of houses.
Werribee rental 2002 averaged $170-180

==============================================

This would mean that the average rental for the 3030 postcode is $225. I do see your point in the fact that they large number of houses in Werribee would drag down the average but maybe Werribee South houses rent for $1000 a week - thus giving the average of $225.

Note I have no idea where these areas are - Im just using them for the example, they might as well be on Mars :)

If Residex supply their Data on Postcode (which seems a bit misleading to me as the above examples highlight)

Is there someone who provides data based on suburb so that you could get a more accurate picture of what is going on?

Back