No wonder Australian business is going to pot

Oh - I do like to leave my car most of the day but am very specific when I book that I need it back in time for school pickup - and remind them again when I get there
LOL!

We get those all the time.

Problem is; the drop off is after the school drop off, and by that time all hoists are full, so the car has an extremely good chance of sitting there for the rest of the morning until it gets looked at....may not be able to order parts in time to complete by pick up time, etc - especially if it is not a more common type of car.

And on top of this, the owner drops the inevitiable; "Oh yeah; I forgot to mention - I think it needs XYZ fixed/replaced while it's here", or; "I heard a noise the other day; can you fix that too?" etc.

We may/may not have the time to do that as well as a service (we've only allowed time in the day for the service when the car is booked), and then they're miffed because they have to come again another day to fix the last minute add-on..

Not all are this of course; but enough to make you say HHHMMM.

Last edited:
I can totally understand your point of view - and if I find something extra needs to be done, I'll be reasonable and book a different time for that extra ... but ... from a parents' point of view ... hubby works to far away, and odd hours (gone 6am - home 4pm), so can't do school runs ... there is no school bus - or any bus - that comes anywhere near home ... and there is no family local we can lob onto ... I have called on friends in the past, but don't like to do that

So ... perhaps there is a marketing option there for you ... think laterally about how you can fit a car service into a school day time and target that market ... :D

So ... perhaps there is a marketing option there for you ... think laterally about how you can fit a car service into a school day time and target that market ... :D
Many times we can, Lizzie, but every now and then the day turns to shoit by 10.00am, and all of a sudden we have more work to finish than time left in the day.

But, on a day to day basis, we book in work as per what is asked of us, so we fill up the day for the staff based on those bookings.

Typically I allow 1.5 hours per service per man - excluding breaks. If the job balloons out to 2 hours because of an unforseen, then we may start to have problems finishing scheduled work. Sometimes it goes the other way, but not as often.

And then a supplier will send the wrong part, or we'll miss the next delivery run and have to wait 2 more hours for the next one to arrive, and so on....

We cannot foresee extra work, and we can't afford to allow "dead" time for a possible blow-in, or a car that is booked in for one thing, but ends up needing a few other things..

One of the most common for us is the car for a service that is waay overdue, and turns out it needs brakes, and/or tyres, etc.

If we target that specific "soccer mom" market, we would need to have more staff on hand to handle the eventuality, and have a guarantee in place to deliver the car back on time etc..it's a Catch 22 for me right now; the extra staff cost is not doable without the guarantee of a return on the cost. Not trying to be negative; just trying to explain the dilemma.

I have a standing ad in the local primary school bi-weekly newsletter (my son went to the school) to target the parents for our workshop, and our youngest boy has just started 4 year old Kinder this year - I have put my hand up to be the Treasurer, in the hope of having some involvement but also to be able to network a bit.

The way we do it now, is I try to forewarn the mums and dads that certain days in the week they are looking to book might be a safer bet (but that can change very quickly), and if they drop the car in and dump an extra problem on us, I let them know that there will/will not be enough time to do the extra work by the time the school pick up comes around, depending on the request.

I just rang 5 cabinet makers to get a quote for a home office install that probably would have been $1000-$1500 but apparently the job is too small and not worth their time. Do these people not want money???

Luckily though because I had to be a little more resourceful I found close to what I wanted (will do the job) pre-made for about $350.

Now to get a half decent electrician for a half decent price to come and install 4 points....

I just rang 5 cabinet makers to get a quote for a home office install that probably would have been $1000-$1500 but apparently the job is too small and not worth their time. Do these people not want money???

Luckily though because I had to be a little more resourceful I found close to what I wanted (will do the job) pre-made for about $350.

Now to get a half decent electrician for a half decent price to come and install 4 points....
When I worked at one of the Golf Clubs, there was an electrician who played golf mid-week; 3 days per week.

I asked him why he was not working, and he said he opted to work on Saturdays to earn more dough per hour.

He also said he would not do ceiling fans, power points and so on...too small to be bothered going there, he said.

This was back in the 1990's

When I worked at one of the Golf Clubs, there was an electrician who played golf mid-week; 3 days per week.

I asked him why he was not working, and he said he opted to work on Saturdays to earn more dough per hour.

He also said he would not do ceiling fans, power points and so on...too small to be bothered going there, he said.

This was back in the 1990's

It's ridiculous. Money is money... Then they ***** and whinge when there's a downturn in the industry and can't get work... make hay when the sun shines!

The most annoying thing is the fact that my husbands has the skills and knowledge to do the work as his dad is an electrician and he worked with him for over 10 years. He just doesn't have the licences. Come to think of it, might just be cheaper to fly his dad up.

Plumbing rant....

So, here I am, on day 114 of the plumbing dilemma. Taking a frustrated coffee break because I'm at wits end....and just about to get out the sledge hammer.

Day 1

The better half notices that the toilet doesn't flush properly. The water eventually goes down, but the flowrate from the cistern doing it's normal thing is greater than what the S bend and the plumbing pipes will accept....so initially you get the bowl filling up, with the result plumbing refuse slowly floating to the top and overflowing everywhere....not so good.

Problem established. Solution not identified as yet.

"No problem, we'll fix that, nothing like giving it a plunge, that'll sort it out quick smart."

Tried plunging the living hell out of it, water only (thankfully) going everywhere until those really robust (not) thin as tissue paper flimsy plastic plungers breaks. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

No problem, we can overcome that. Reach for the other plunger, change heads and keep going. Other little plastic handle snaps off. Job requirements far exceed tool capability. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Give up for the day. Of course, it's a Friday afternoon, so tradesmans rates for the next 60 hours are thru the roof. Agree to delay problem 'til Monday morning.

Day 4

Back to normal tradesman's rates...call plumber.

"Yeah mate, really busy, naaahh, can't come out, howzabout next Monday."

Try someone else.

"Yeah mate, naaahh, can't come out, but if you're prepared to pay a premium, may be able to get out there by Thursday. $ 160 to turn up and $ 45 for every 15 minutes I'm on-site, plus you'll be charged for whatever equipment I use, no guarantees of course."

Try someone else. The big flashy kahuna all singing all dancing company.

"Not today sorry, but we can have one of our service people around there on Wednesday, in the afternoon, can't specify a time. Do you wish to proceed ?"

I won't be here then, but the wife will be, so yes, let's go ahead."

Day 6

Plumber comes out. $ 120 to roll up.

Spends 10 minutes inside with a plunger. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Sticks small snake down toilet S bend, as it's the only one that will fit around the ridiculously tight corners. Water no problem, tools - no go. Doesn't make any impact. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Walks outside, looks around and says, "Can't get it from this side, you'll have to tear up half the house. Sorry, can't help."

Issues a bill for $ 280 that we have to pay. Drives away with not a care in the world. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Day 7

Scratch heads wondering how to tackle the problem. Rule established. In the short term, # 2's are done in the other toilet, only # 3's in this toilet.

Time passes, with solution to the problem forthcoming....

Day 93

Child forgets about the rule established on Day 7. Huge stinky drama. My fault....

Day 94

Try and grapple with the plumbing infrastructure buried deep in the backyard. Remember plans I made up on the fly just as the plumber was burying everything under the lawn 4 years ago.

Get out the shovel and dig down 900mm searching for a way in to the pipes. 2 hours later. Good exercise I suppose. Mound of dirt to get down that far without it caving in is enormous. Discover an old earthenware Y-piece, which isn't what I'm after, but it has given me clues as to where I can dig next. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Day 95

Fill in huge hole.

Day 98

Start digging another hole, this one a bit deeper, requiring twice as much dirt to be removed. Struck gold !!

Cleaned away the debris to reveal a new 100mm PVC entry point. I'm in !! Spirits are buoyed that we don't need to smash our way through to get into the pipe.

We're about 16m away from the toilet, and only 3m away from the concrete driveway. Most of what we have accessed is under an inaccessible driveway. Joy !!

Confidence up...we're getting closer to solving this problem. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Day 99

Try shoving the hose down the opening to clear "the blockage". Don't know where it is and don't know what it is.

Hose is only 1/2". Manage to get the hose along the pipe 6m, before the force required to push it uphill is greater than the internal resistance of the hose to go around a 60 degree bend. Blast the pipe with as much flowrate as possible. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Day 99

Undeterred, confidence still high with good access to this entry point.

Go and buy a long new 3/4" sturdy hose. Now we're cooking with gas.

Manage to get the hose along the pipe 11m, before the force required to push it uphill is greater than the internal resistance of the hose to go around a 60 degree bend. Blast the pipe with as much flowrate as possible. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Day 100

Big deep hole smack bang in the middle of the backyard...making life difficult for the family, the dog, the bore, watering the rest of the lawn and generally a big safety issue for falling into.

Day 101

Call up plumbers for quotes. All of the digging is done (or so I thought). All they need to do is come in with their big electric powered snake and cutter head and job done.

After 4 plumbers all say they are far too busy, 2 of which said "we don't do drains, it's too dirty"...getting miffed.

Call up 5th plumber. "Yeah, I'm still old enough that I'll come out and clear your drain, the young pups won't anymore. Make sure you get a "flimsy"."

A what ??

"Order them on-line from the Water Corp. It'll show you where the original plumbing lines were laid."

OK - download and pay $ 18.00 for a scratchy map from 1954. Doesn't show much detail, and what little there is, is obscured. Big fat hands in 1954 scribbling stuff down quickly isn't too good. Can see why CAD drawings were invented.

Day 104

Plumber rolls up. Old school. Has all the good gear. Oh yeah baby, now we're cooking with gas. Good access, good info, good gear. Today is the day !!!

Plumber feeds into the snake and cutter head. Rotates all the way to 13.5m and then goes clunk.

"End of the line mate. Try that mate - any change ??" Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Run downhole camera all the way up the 13.5m 'til it deviates towards the toilet. All clear and clean. Flush again. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Source of problem not seen.

Shove camera down toilet. S bend too tight. No go.

Try again.

Try again.

Try again.

Shove camera down toilet. Camera finally passes ridiculously tight restriction. Feed camera down vertical pipe.

Bang !! There's the problem. Fine roots, look like white fingerhairs. Nothing big, nothing tough. Just some tree has cracked the old earthenware and is having a good ol' drink with it's fine hair-like roots in the pipe.

Nice to finally know where and what the problem is.

No tree within 35m.

"Righto, I can't help you anymore mate without smashing everything to bits. You don't wanna be paying for me to stand here digging for ya. You're gonna have to dig up the entire driveway and smash your way through."

Plumber departs after 1 hour on-site. Invoice is $ 385.00

Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Day 109

Hire a concrete cutter. Big bit of kit. Need to organise trailer. Go through all of the rigmorale of hiring contracts. Wow - those solicitors that drew that contract up are harsher than me with my commercial Tenants. Not much fun.

All cars now expunged to the frontyard for the foreseeable future.

Someone standing there with their hands on their hips. "When is this toilet going to be fixed...."

Can't answer that.

Start cutting hole in driveway. Try and guess where the 1954 connections are. Dangerous thing this concrete cutter....new skill learnt without losing limbs.

Manage to cut out the blocks. Get Dad to help me lift the concrete slabs freshly cut.

Start digging. I've learnt the solution to everything is 'more digging.'

Quickly discover the 45 degree elbow where the plumber ended with a clunk.

To our joy, we find an old earthenware inspection port, covered in concrete from 1954. Smash through the old concrete to expose the opening.

We're in (or so we think). Elation like before, 16m away. Seems so long ago.

Same procedure as before.

Start with the 1/2" hose. Work it, work it, work it, fiddle with it, flushing the toilet to see if that does anything ?? Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Go to the 3/4" hose. Work it, work it, work it, fiddle with it, flushing the toilet to see if that does anything ?? Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Neighbour comes over (probably could hear all of the swearing) and offers advice and help with his hand-held little 3/8" snake. Useless. Run it every which way we can. Up the inspection port. Down the toilet S bend. It only just passes. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Managed to pull out a small piece of wire, which we saw on the camera. Very fine. Gives me some scale of the root hairs, as they are finer than the wire.

Can't do any more without the proper plumbing gear. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

Need the big snake and cutter back again.

Day 110

More digging, this time at the huge roots of the ficus tree, illegally planted on the front verge of our neighbours. They thought it was clever sneakily planting that without the Council knowing. This is the culprit of my plumbing woes.

Spend 7 more hours digging and chopping, to get rid of the shoulder of the root. The arm of the root, 35m, is under our driveway and slowly cracking it to bits. The fingers of the root are smashed into our toilet drain.

Day 114

Bite the bullet and hire the plumbing gear myself. $ 130 for the full day, as opposed to a plumber merely hopping out of his van for that price.

Now I'm onto it !! Or so I thought...

Spent the morning signing my life away with yet another hiring contractor. Deposit was 200% of the daily charge. Joy !! Must have the same solicitors that I use. Spent another 2 hours on the round trip during peak hour.

Finally have the gear at the right spot. Fed the cutter head on the electric powered snake down the tight inspection port. Only got 70cm down the pipe towards the toilet before the cutter went clunk.....grrrr.....up against another 90 degree bend. Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

We're on our hands and knees, below the driveway, right up against the foundation stones of the house, and have dug out the earth supporting the foundations.

The big gear is too chunky to get past the 90 degree bend. Aaaarrrgggghhhh!!! Why do plumbers design 90 degree bends in pipes, knowing full well their own gear cannot get past ??

The idly fiddly gear can get past, but can't do the job when it gets there. The big stuff that can do the job can't get there.

Tearing our hair out at this stage. Plumbers aren't any good. Plumbing equipment isn't any good. Can't undermine the foundations anymore. Too dangerous.

Tackling this from the outside is a dead end.

Only one thing left to do....was trying to avoid this at all costs.

Will now need to rope off the entire bathroom, start dismantling most of the infrastructure within the bathroom so we can start swinging a sledge hammer.

The old toilet is concreted into it's foundations and tiling. All of that is going to have be smashed, the toilet removed completely and then somehow we're going to have to bring the big rotating snake machine into the bathroom to clear out the blockage.

Only trouble with that is, we need a few people to hold and control the rod whilst it spins and whips around so it doesn't smash against the walls, whilst someone else feed the cutter head down the vertical pipe and clears the blockage.....hopefully.

Currently waiting for people to assist.

My property looks like a huge burrowing mole has cut sick and had a party, all to no effect. Now we need to go back inside and play Bob the Builder and Dazza the demolition man.

If only the plumbers had of laid the pipes on the outside with gentle curves, instead of putting impossibly sharp bends in pipes under the foundations and under concrete driveways.

Would also have helped if the neighbours hadn't of planted an illegal tree on their front verge and then giggled when they got away with it. I guess Councils ban certain trees to be planted for this very reason.

For all those people who notice a slight rise in the toilet bowl and the water not flushing down properly, pat yourself on the back. You're probably in the minority. Most just push a button and blithely walk away.....eeeewwwhhh and walk away, stinky problem, nothing to do with me.

Noticing the problem however is sometimes just the tip of the iceberg. Spare a thought for the poor bugger who has to actually clear it. Sometimes, it ain't the plumber.

I've never encountered a more difficult problem to solve in all my 20 years of owning property than clearing this partial blockage of a semi-flushing toilet. When it stumps more than a few tradies, you know you've got a decent problem on your hands.

The only bright lights in this ordeal are that ;

a) It isn't at an IP, so the Tenants aren't moaning and whinging like pork chops.
b) Travelling to the worksite is reasonably quick.

What will the better half think when she rocks up this afternoon ?? You guessed it - Bzzzt....fail whale. No change to problem.

@ Dazz - fairly common problem with the old terracotta pipes and tree roots. We had to smash up the bathroom and patio of our old 60's house to get rid of the old terracotta pipes so we could have a shower or wash up without the water coming up. Glad I married a plumber. :D
Having a household full of girls make sure they and friends never flush anything other than toilet paper and waste down the toilet. Items can easily get stuck on tree roots and cause a blockage. (You could be out of the sh** afterall) My poor hubby had to help out my parents with their rental after a girl flushed something she shouldn't have. Not fun!

Waiting for a deck to be built - 6 weeks.
Waiting for a side gate to be built 3 weeks.

It's as if these guys don't actually want my money. So yeah, good carpentor recommendations would be good.

Some tradies I actually recommend (if you're in Melbourne)

Electricians - http://www.maxpowerelectrical.com.au/

Bought 2 Panasonic Airconditioners before the heat wave. He ordered them they turned up then the installers turned up. Later that day a plumber turned up. Although he was late, he actually turned up. Blew my mind haha

Alarm System

http://eaglesecurity.com.au/

Double story, they turned up was given 2 options. Went with the Lucini brand. They came back on the Satuday, installed it and works well.

Builders

http://www.verdehomes.com.au/

Did the design of my house. But also used http://www.masterdesignbuilders.com.au/. I think they're related but not sure how. From my experience, most builders are pretty friendly. But I've had the wool pulled over my eyes before. These guys were different. When I mentioned an issue, they didn't fob it off or not fix it, they fixed it.

If anyone has a good carpenter in Melbourne they can recommend, I am all ears.

Dazz depending on the age of the plumbing there maybe is a cast iorn 100mm pipe that links onto the problem area,if so that will have a inspection panel remove that to gain entry into the pipes,or you can buy a low price hospital grade disinfectant I use the homebrand costs about 3 bucks,the more flasher one big brand name is about 7 bucks,but the homebrand 1.25 litre works just as well for half the price,pump the whole 1.25 litre into the system and just leave it sit there for a few hours prior to the "Boss" walking in the door,the domestic cleaner will burn the roots away,once clear just pump 250mm of cleaner down the system 2 times a week..imho..

Actually - some tradies I love ... I did get my electrician out of the pub, on his way home, at 4pm on a Friday to fix the cut off switch for my house water pump ... otherwise would've been without water for the weekend.

He is a gem.

Dazz ... thanks for the light entertainment - and can sympathise ...

Re-stump

Guy quoted in June and said he could start job on Nov.
Hubby makes sure all floor boards are up and ready to go.
No one turns up or calls.
Ring the guy - another 2-3 weeks. Then he asks for $5k because he needs to pay for the materials.
We stupidly paid (lesson learnt). He doesn't start. Makes excuses.
Dec comes around we are worried - just lost $5k. He wouldn't answer his phone calls or call back. I called another stumper to see if they knew of another way to contact him. This company were formerly partners with this guys father nothing said but they were clearly distancing themselves from them now. I did a search on the business and found out business not registered anymore.
I ring the guy and ask where are the materials? When he is actually going to do the job. He turns around and gets agro at me saying "Are you questioning me?" And I said yes. You have $5k of our money and you committed to restumping our house in Nov and we have to keep calling to to find out what is going on.
The short version is the house was eventually re-stumped in late Feb.
The day he finished he called and wanted payment that day because he had to pay his workers.
I said I haven't received the compliance certificate yet. We actually met the permit guy and he told us we had to dig out x amt of dirt down one side of the house before it could be signed off. And we did - just to get it done.

In the meantime the final bill was bugging me. I dug out the original quote which was 2k less. I wrote him a cheque for the balance and we met him at the property to pay him.
Hubby was packing his dacks as this guy was the type to hit someone. He was presented the cheque and a couple of the original quote. They guy was furious. Didn't hit hubby but he did storm off angrily.
A very stressful experience for us.

The biggest problem I have with most tradies is their lack of professional behaviour - the late arrivals, the not showing up, the excuses, and often the poor work, and my personal favourite asking for money before the job is done.

Yeah I had a builder sign a domestic contract with the balance at 40% his mistake, which in the end - he asked for favour to get the balance split out into multiple payments - essentially making the contract void which could result a fine. I find you get a really good trade, they are good for a while then they bail out and do something like slack around or not deliver.

It's ridiculous. Money is money... Then they ***** and whinge when there's a downturn in the industry and can't get work... make hay when the sun shines!

The most annoying thing is the fact that my husbands has the skills and knowledge to do the work as his dad is an electrician and he worked with him for over 10 years. He just doesn't have the licences. Come to think of it, might just be cheaper to fly his dad up.

my personal motto is, "you reap what you sow"

so these tradies who give you attitude, dont show up when they are supposed to, change the dates/times to suit other jobs, eventually will be begging for jobs...... unfortuantely, this hasnt happened yet

not many other industries can you be that unprofessional that you can get away with it! I guess a lot of them are uneducated and earn far too much $$$ for them to care

i personally think the standard of trades is improving. of course there are still loads of bad ones but imo i have certainly noticed an increase in professionalism from a fair few of them in perth.

let us also not forget that often the standards of clients (ie us) needs some improvement too.

I had a refrigeration unit add-in installed into the sub-floor ducted gas heater. The installation also required a valve to create two zones for ducting the heated or cooled air and an extra outlet. Electricians came to install the external unit and the internal unit plus plumbing to drain condensed water, while ducting tradie installed the zoning valve and the extra ducting to the new outlet. However, after installation no discernible flow of air came out through an older outlet. Aircond company was told payment will be delayed until problem fixed.

Ducting tradie came back with apprentice, avoided talking and obviously aggrieved. I kept out of his way while they fiddled in the sub-floor to various parts of the ducting including substituting ductings to two outlets such that the ducting crossed each other in the sub-floor. The tradie and the apprentice ended their work with an extra slab of yellow fibre glass insulation, which the apprentice handed to me. Things seem alright as there was more flow coming out of the outlet that previously had no discernible air flow. Payment was made.

However, the new add-in cooler never impressed me as the cooling unit appeared inefficient, could not reduce the temperature in the house satisfactorily to increase comfort. To friends and relatives I would firmly advise not to install an add-in cooler to a gas ducted heating system. Also in Winter, the sub-floor would be warmed when the gas heater was turned on. I thought the sub-floor air may be heated by the hot exhaust pipe from the gas heater.

One Winter day, I was down in the sub-floor and it was very warm. A duct had fallen off a Y joint. It was previously bound to the insulated Y with only one round of duct tape and it had worked loose by the hot air in the duct. I learnt by necessity to duct tape the insulated ducting to the Y. At the same time I noticed that a short arterial duct was flappy for lack of insulation between the two concentric plastic membranes of the insulated duct, which possibly explains the origin of the extra slab of insulation the apprentice handed me after the adjustment.

I uncrossed two tentacles of ducts to two outlets as there was superfluous length of ducting and hence obvious thermal inefficiency to remove. The process also revealed that the insulated ducting was duct taped to the outlets by removing too much insulation. Insulation also appeared needed in the main ducting.

I adjusted the network of insulated duct and smoothen the air flow by the way the ducting was hung. In the process I replaced the plastic duct tape that was used to hang a heavy duct of about 14 inch diameter, which was sagging progressively to nearly touching the soil in the sub-floor. I noticed that the insulated duct was also not taped securely to the outlet of the heater and had to be unwound to pull the inner sleeve of the insulated duct closer to the heater outlet. When the insulated duct was separated from the heater outlet, I detected a rectangular piece of plaster board of about 4 inch by 6 inch inside the duct. Another mischief intercepted.

Since, fixing the malicious insulated ducting, the ducted aircond works quite well now in the hot Summer weather. I would turn the aircond on when it is 27 C and it would be comfortable inside the house with the curtains drawn. In the sub-floor, it is so cold that condensation would appear at some outlets that have not been insulated. I no longer criticise the appropriateness of having an add-in cooling unit to a ducted gas heating system, but beware of certain tradies.

Last edited:
Move to Spain, where excellent tradies are a little desperate for work at the moment. I had a 3 bed house completely internally painted for 600 euro, & two guys working the whole day building a brick shed for 75 each.

Day 114...cont...

Nothing like having the big gear on daily rental and standing around scratching your head wondering what to do.

Back inside, given up on the outside route.

Cleared the bathroom. Took 30 seconds to move my toothbrush and shaver out of the way. Took 50 minutes to move some of the girls bathroom "stuff" to the left a touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBImg8LdQc4

Carrying the big motor and clutch into the bathroom, then the rods and cutter heads was one chore I did while Dad gingerly chipped away at the rock hard 60 year old cement securing the toilet to the base.

Now, this is a rather delicate operation. The four screws holding the "pedestal" to the concrete was easy enough, only took about 15 minutes to scrap away the concrete to expose the screw head. Got three out and had to drill the remaining one out. Too easy, our tail is up.

Now for the delicate / rough operation of trying to extract the base of the pedestal from the vertical pipe. Slowly chip away with a cold chisel and engineering hammer for about 30 minutes. My rig experience is quickly telling me that this is a joke. Dad has the patience for this, I don't.

I give him a hand by drilling holes every 5mm around the base, alternating sides while he tap taps away. This stuff is as hard as nails and not going anywhere. Concrete dust and sweat are mixing together, whilst we grapple each other surrounded by a toilet bowl in a confined space. So much for the joys of being retired !!

That's it, I've cracked the *****. Flick the little engineering hammer away and get a serious knockometer onto the job. Ask Dad to stand back. Hook into the base with a proper blow and ping, there goes the fragile as hell brittle ceramic toilet. That won't ever see service again.

Just what Dad was trying to avoid. Too late for that.

With a couple more blows, whilst putting a hand down the poo pipe to ensure the ceramic pieces flying off the toilet don't end up going down the tube as well and having to fish those out later on.

Remove the toilet.

Ahhhh....now, for the very first time, we are about to see "the problem". Shine a bright torch down there. Nothing. The pipe drops down about 1.2m and then does a hard 90 degree turn right. You're kiddin' me.

The only section of the entire plumbing maze I still can't get to, and sure enough, that is where the unseen problem is.....directly inside the foundation stone and inaccessible.

OK, time to get rough.

Crank up the snake and put the most aggressive cutting head on. Send her down Jimmy. When the clutch is engaged, the rod whips around the bathroom wall making a hell of a racket, scouring the walls and skirting board. Can't help cosmetic damage, we're after the bigger structural fish now.

Send it round the 90 degree corner. Clutch stalls, snake whips, the cutters have hit the obstruction. Work it. Work it. Rotating, reciprocating, sending water down. This is just like a drilling / reaming job out on the rigs. I'm in my element.

Not happy with the clutch stalling and refusal of the snake to handle the torsional stress. Pull out of hole. Observe very fine reddish brown roots on cutter teeth.

Change the cutter head for something more gentle. Bit slimmer and pointier. Run in hole.

Crank up the reaming operation again, working the pipe up and down, plenty of rotation and plenty of fluids. 3 man operation. 1 spotter out in the driveway looking for cuttings flowing by. They see them flowing.

Breakthrough !!

The slim cutter head is through and doing it's job, whipping up a frenzy around the corner where no-one can observe exactly what is going on. Happy with progress. Work it for another 20 minutes before pulling out of hole.

Quickly change cutting heads, getting adept with the lock on/off mechanism that holds the head onto the rod. Send in the big aggressive cutter head. This time she sails through, carving it's way through the mass of roots. Once again, spend another 20 minutes working it through, making sure the obstruction is finally gone.

Pull out of hole and stare at our handiwork.

Can't test the flush mechanism anymore. Toilet smashed to pieces and all we're staring at is a long drop crowned in hardened concrete like my days back in Yemen.

Skulldrag all of the heavy kit back outside and flush it all through, before packing it back into the car ready to return tomorrow.

Spend an hour packing up every other conceivable tool and trying our best to clean the bathroom and hallway. It was a "man effort" at best with the cleaning. Hey - structural stuff outranks cleaning duties every time.

So, that's it. Dad turns around and says, "well, now that the toilet is smashed, you won't be able to get another new toilet on that concrete mound, especially with the remnant pieces of ceramic still buried and surrounded by concrete."

What's my options ??

"Well, you're gonna have to grind off all of that concrete, and then to bypass that problem section, I'd suggest drilling a hole through the wall and foundation stone, run some new PVC pipe externally so you can get to it and then plug into the old earthenware pipes at the inspection port down there."

So cleaning out the blocked section wasn't needed after all ??

"Not after you smashed the toilet off."

Joy !!

In hindsight, (isn't it great), if I had of known 114 days ago what I knew now, I would have simply turned the water off, picked up a sledgehammer and smashed the toilet clean off.

Then called a plumber and get him to hook up new lines outside, connected to a new toilet.

Still would of had to cut through the driveway....but all that digging trying to troubleshoot and eliminate the things that weren't blocked....until you narrowed down the possibilities.

Murphy's Law should have told me it was always going to be the section that was the most difficult to access.

Anyway, another couple of hundred in supply costs, and quite a few more hundred in plumbing costs and a few more hundred in hiring costs should see us back with a working toilet.

This is by no means over yet.

I can hardly remember waaaay back when the wife first said "The water's not going down properly, can you please take a look at it ??

....and onwards we trudge....

Reminds me of the old story about real skill. Try my best to get right:

New young , cocky manager takes over widget factory with goal to save money.
Everything works well, no breakdowns.
Then he sees old mechanic man with oil can and some tools sitting around.
He thinks, hummm, it all works well so I make him redundant, and pay contractors to come in as needed. Save a wage!
Old guy not happy.:mad:
Cocky young boss tells him, "thats business" and pays old guy out.
Boss gloats, FIGJAM, look at me, to the Board.:D

After a month, key machine breaks down.
Get in contractor mechanics, cannot find fault, spend days, no workflow, items backing up, no income.:eek:
Them someone at Board says calls old man see if he can help.
Old man tells them to shove it.:p

They beg "please help" they say
Old man comes in and says sure but I want $5000 billable if I fix it.
New boss says why not, others have taken days.
Old man comes in, tweaks here , tweaks there and after five minutes BINGO it starts and works.
Everyone is amazed, new boss embarrassed.:eek:
Then being tough boss says to old man, well I am sure you will be fair, it only took 5 minutes labour,
Old man smiles, says sure, hand boss his invoice, it reads:

Repair of Machine
Labour: 5 min = $10.
Experience: Lifetime = $4990
Teaching D$%kheads Real Business Skills = Free.

Real skills are dying, Peter 14.7

Back