Appointing a project builder in qld

I'm looking to have a basic 4x2 double storey home built in Brisbane and have narrowed it down to two builders. I asked both to send me the paperwork to get started on preparing me a tender.

I've done this a few times in NSW, pay $900-950 to each builder, soil test and survey done, price itemised and then you choose which one to proceed with.

Both builders in Brissie have in their tender document that if I don't proceed with them, i either incur another $2500 or I am invoiced for the work done by the service providers used to prepare the tender. Is this normal practice? It seems that when choosing a builder, you don't ask for multiple tenders or it will cost you a fortune.

It seems there's quite a difference in the way things are done between NSW and QLD.

That seems weird. I've heard of a few project builders who charge approx $1800 for soil tests and other preliminary stuff, and if you choose to walk away that's fine. Keep shopping around.

It's also good to go to the display homes and talk to a salesperson about it. If they tell you some BS just walk to the display next door!

Back