are building inspections for strata units needed?

just wondering who organises building/pest inspections for strata units or do you just rely on the strata report and minutes of the meetings etc?

Yes
I have always obtained building/pest inspections for both houses and units - they are invaluable even if they disclose a problem which is a body corporate issue - it makes you then consider if there is a sufficient sinking fund for the body corporate and I have definately used such reports to get a reduction in the purchase price.
thanks

Absolutely get a building inspection done, sometimes subfloor areas are even harder to access than in stand alone houses, which can cause damp, dry rot or termite issues. A registered builder will also be able to confirm that fire walls (required for strata-ing) are correctly constructed etc.

Not always. I think it depends on the type and quality of building you are buying into.

If time is available I would do a strata report first then decide.

yes yes yes and yes...

even if there is a strata building report... you can never do too much to protect yourself.

its a couple of hundred dollars - just do it!!

Regardless of the age or quality of the building you should get a building inspection. The strata report can only reflect information that is found in the scheme records. There may be problems that have either not yet been detected, or not reported to the manager/committee.

Even if a building is still covered by building warranty, there may be defects that would impact on your ownership/ tenant comfort. Making the builder come back to rectify can be very difficult and time consuming. Its better to be aware.

Karina, your solicitor should organise this for you.

Wake

For apartments/flats, we got it done on the first few we bought, but the inspector showed us the basic things to look for, and added that he couldn't check most of the not so obvious faults - as he could not easily access them.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I have never done it for apartments as the building inspector would only check the actual unit itself - not the entire block.

For those that answered yes, did you get the entire building looked at or just the one lot? I assume would be just the one lot unless it was a small block of maybe 4 units or less.

That was my advice and I stuck with it - maybe I should reconsider in the future?

For houses, always.

HI there Oscar
we actually got the building inspector to also make comments on the common property and the external aspects of the building we were concerned about.
It was necessary from our perspective because my husband is a worry wart - and he wanted to be reassured as to certain aspects - which he could discuss with the building inspector who did the report - and have the option to withdraw from the contract if we were not happy with the building inspector's report.
For the SANF - it was worth it! - the comments made allowed us to negotiate a purchase price reduction - also financially worth it!

you get them to check the entire block...movement cracks at one end of the building can very well affect a unit at the other...obviously you are restricted to externals and common areas aside of the unit in question - but if the guys are already there it does not cost extra!!!

you have a whole raft of possible issues that affect the externals and common property that can affect your costings - especially if the complex is body corp'd.

I know of one sale of a unit in a 6 pack that fell over last year because the building inspector identified that the roof had a leak into another unit (by climbing onto the roof - it was flat iron) the whole roof needed replacing also at a cost to the body corporate of 22k - needless to say the purchaser walked away from the contract...

always get a professional to do the job - no matter how good you think you are - at least you're protected then. its worth the couple of hundred.

cheers
UC :D

Generally, I don't believe it's necessary, it depends on the building.
Usually you can see the condition of the place yourself
additionaly you can also introduce yourself to the neighbours and ask questions.
You will probably find out more from the neighbours than a building inspector
with limited access.
If there are problems or maintenance issues they will also appear in the strata reports.
cheers

HI there
the issue our building report highlighted was not even raised in the strata reports - it was an underpinning issue that resulted from drought conditions - if we hadn't had the building report done - we would not have had ammunition to reduce the purchase price - we don't have the building expertise or knowledge of costs that the building inspectors have. All the neighbours bar one are tenants - all out of the units at the time of inspection - the issues we discovered are going to be dealt with at the AGM - still think it is worth the expense.
thanks

I had building & pest done on one townhouse. The report came up all clear apart from the usual wear and tear. Once I ripped up the carpet there was termite damage in half the walls! I also found the treatment drill holes in the brick work all around the outside and garage walls. The report could not even pick this up.
:mad:

Maybe ask for some referalls of decent inspectors in your area.

Well I definitly now think its a good idea to get a building inspection, my friend organised a building inspection on a unit and the building inspection identified damp issues in the under ground car park and garden beds, The inspector said that basically they did not waterproof and almost impossible to fix now as you can't remove soil around the masonary work due to being partially underground, would cost thousands and thousands to repair via a different method (internally) and would be an on-going problem, so I would have to say its well worth getting these inspections done even on units.

Back