Are investors bad employees

RJ, I'm curious. Would you feel the same way about your job if, say, your pay doubled? I'm just wondering whether there's an emotional cut-off point when people start to think 'yeah, I don't like my job, but the money.......'
Alex

Nope

I'd still quit if I had enough to survive.. Then focus my efforts elsewhere

Guess I'm not as committed. My lifestyle wants are starting to increase, and it's just easier to sit at my job and get the loan serviceability off my salary. I'll need to have investment activities / income that replaces most of my salary before I'm willing to quit and not regret it. Trying to train myself into doing it by taking a few months off every time I quit a job, though.
Alex

Guess I'm not as committed. My lifestyle wants are starting to increase, and it's just easier to sit at my job and get the loan serviceability off my salary. I'll need to have investment activities / income that replaces most of my salary before I'm willing to quit and not regret it. Trying to train myself into doing it by taking a few months off every time I quit a job, though.
Alex

Theres a Madonna track out at the moment and the lyrics go ...

"Theres only so much you can learn in one place - the longer you wait the more time that you waste"

RJ

If I were an employer of people who worked in front of a computer, the first question I'd ask in teh job interview would be "do you love investing in shares?"

If they said yes, there's no way I would employ them during hours when the market was open!

Carol

Investing and trading being very different things, that would be discriminatory. In any case, we don't do too badly spending time on this forum!

It's getting TO management that involves years of BS and politics, which personally I'm not willing to do. I'll probably make junior manager on ability alone, but to go any further would involve stuff I don't want to do.

As for investors being good managers.... believe me, being a manager has its own problems. You're still going to look around and see others managers (and levels above you) resting on their fat hinies while you do the work.
Alex

As being fairly new to work, I have this view of politics (may be naive):
Everyone has different wants/objectives, would politics be just trying to achieve your objective while trying to make as many people on your side as possible (by also satisfying their objectives). In a sense, would it be like deals with siblings (i'll help you if you help me). I havent seen the bitterness of politics, yet!

I suppose as a manager you have control below but not above; in the positive sense though, you could enrich the life of your subordinates. Imagine teaching them about the value of work as well as time management so that they can work hard, have lots of rest, in a stressfree, productive, and in an environment in which they can grow personally too.

Perhaps for those who have worked >10yrs, someone who like me who has worked for <2yrs are babies. My views are definitely changing as time goes on :(

Last edited:
Hi Demoman,

My wife and I r definitely just "marking time" as employees until our passive income is such that it replaces our current salaries.

As for being a good or bad employees its hard to say. I can say that my mind is often on things other than work whilst at work. This was not always the case and seems to have coincided with becoming more serious about investing a few years ago.

Unlike many people I don't hate my job at all I quite enjoy it in fact. However, attending work is still not on my terms, but it is on the terms of my employer, which is fair enough given that they are purchasing my labour.

But what this does is give me extra incentive to become financially independant ASAP so I can make choices based on lifestyle wants and not on financial needs.

In the meantime I will do my job to the best of my ability but I certainly won't go out of my way to put in extra hours or strive for promotion etc becuase our goals are big picture goals not "career type goals".

Finally I think that as an investor/employee I am happier at work than many of my non-investor co-workers as I'm not constantly living from one pay to the next worried about the cost of living and whinging about not being paid enough etc!

Jase

Investing and trading being very different things....

Very true. Also, many different trading styles would allow you to place orders before or after work hours.

I am a trader, but if I need to adjust trades during the day, my work takes precedence - phone calls, meetings etc.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi
Reading the posts hi-lights the different approaches to just about everything
I guess a lot of it is due to the huge variety of employment.
When I started my (approximately) 20th different job, it impressed me with the amount of variation involved/to learn.
I went to Conferences/meetings with enthusiasm looking for the lessons and being attentive, all the time hearing from some others, quotes like - "Here we go again" - "More of the same" - "When do we sleep" etc.
I would arrive home and bore my wife to sleep relating what I had heard/remembered. The strange thing is that I still remember most, and most of the work related topics, apply to me/my life personally as much as to work.
I guess I was lucky because I could get the connection in the trade I was learning
Unfortunately I never did learn a damn thing about trading, and I think I might have missed the boat on that one :(
jahn

On the other side of the coin. Being a non investor does not automatically make you a good employee. There will be good and bad employees from every demographic.

I suppose as a manager you have control below but not above; in the positive sense though, you could enrich the life of your subordinates. Imagine teaching them about the value of work as well as time management so that they can work hard, have lots of rest, in a stressfree, productive, and in an environment in which they can grow personally too.

True, but as a manager, if my manager is a bit of a #$%@, then you are stuffed.... :eek: Oh, incidentally, he isn't - I don't have a problem with him, or his manager - it's the guy at the top which was the worry. I think our company is one of those with great employees, but totally mismanaged right at the top level..... so after umpteen reorganizations, the MD has given himself the boot (pushed?). We will see another season of reorganizations (and redundancies) as we try to regather what's left under the new MD.

Cheers,

The Y-man

After reading this thread I'm starting to think I really am in the wrong job. I provide social work services to two hospitals. I can't remember the last time I got a chance to think about anything other than what I am paid to do. I'm convinced I'm expected to do too much because breaks are a luxury I very rarely get, and basically, I realise the pace isn't sustainable over time.

For that reason, I'd love to get to the point where passive income could replace my job. Similar to others here, I can't really leave because my income is a necessary part of convincing the bank to lend funds for projects. Its a catch 22
situation that frustrates me. I do get a great deal of satisfaction from my work but it is also quite draining of emotional energy.

I think my employers get very good value for the money they pay,but perhaps I'm not as career foccussed as I used to be before investing. Maybe that's where they are missing out.

Hi Y-man
And therein lies the most important part of work attitudes

"I think our company is one of those with great employees,"

The company therefore can for a time withstand the big-heads who have no regard for who works for them, but if they bail out (the great employees) then the comany can struggle to survive regardless of who they finally put in place to take over.
All depends of course on the size of the company etc, but ...
If the company folds, then unemployment etc ...for some.
So, being a good employee can save your backside, and others :D
jahn

yeh, we do make bad employees....actually, I don't think there's anything that I can say that already hasnt been touched upon...I liked the one from quoll though, that his working day only really amounted to 10% work....I've been there numerous times and mostly in full-time positions...now I'm contracting (need a wesbite?!?) and because of the short tenures, you tend to stay a little busier....still, there have been days when my single-mum or DINKS colleagues sit around a greasy, coles carrot cake for morning tea (seems to happen regularly), talking about their wonderful cars, pay-rises, complaining about school fees or just generally having the most trivial conversations, while there I am, plotting my next investment or managing my current ones.....of course, after morning tea (and this is even more scary), they scurry back to their desks like their life depends on it....whatever!....as Lizzie said, they see work as the end itself, not as a means to an end...

George "sack me, you'd be doing me a favour!" Grubar

George "sack me, you'd be doing me a favour!" Grubar

I like it! After nearly 8 years in the same organisation, I'd love to cash in on my long service leave and golden handshake. Unfortunately grunts like me still have years of cheap working labour ahead. If they don't give you that pay rise, turn the tables. Work 3 or 4 days a week instead. Just imagine how much more you could do with that extra day or two off working on your own investments. If they pay for x, deliver x, not x+y which most organisations seem to demand. Knowledge workers need not fear the words, "You're Fired".

grubar30 said:
yeh, we do make bad employees

Who will be the first to set up the first 'anti-career' employment website, perhaps called bludgejobs.com ? Suggested slogan: 'more than the dole for less'.

Employees could be paid to disclose those organisations with 'bludgejobs'.

Jobseekers wanting a bludgejob (not a career!) could pay existing 'workers' spotting fees, or bludge jobs could even be auctioned to the highest bidder. YouTube could carry testimonials about how much incumbents have got away with.

Employers could even use it to 'let go' of '99% bludgers', and get an '98% bludger' instead, who would be twice as productive.

Due to compounding (much like bank interest), you'd then get 96% bludgers, 92% bludgers, 84% bludgers, and so on.

The main problem is that this scheme sounds too much like hard work to me!

Peter

I had compulsory training today. 8 hours of mundane mind numbing stuff that seemed to massage my brain to the point where I think I began dribbling.

Im now home calling tradesmen and putting together my exit strategy.

RJ

Back