Are you happy to retire by "living out of capital"?

Are you confortable funding your retirement from "spending" capital

• Yes: I am doing it now

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes: I plan to do it.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • No: I dont have a plan but I may review this option for the future

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • No: I have reviewed this method and it is unsuitable for me

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • What Plan?: I got some super, that will be enough!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
see_change said:
I'd disagree on you with this one. I've just done the course, and while obviously you are building up your equity , the main aim of the exercise , from my understanding seemed to be to turn the equity into income.

Grief . . . now you have me confused :confused:

The main aim of the excercise is to turn equity into income; FOR THE PURPOSE OF SERVICEABILITY.

At this point, no one has said anything about spending the income!!

Now, if the extra serviceability helps you to hold more assets; and they achieve capital growth then perhaps you might wish to enhance your lifestyle and actually spend some of the dollars!

Eventually when yoiu have built up the appropriate asset base; which is now accrueing more capital growth than the income amount you require for financial independence . . . then and only then can you feel comfortable with the concept of Financial independence based on net equity in your portfolio.

Mountains of debt is a term I don't understand . . . it is only debt if you do not have the backing of strong capital appreciating assets.

Net Equity = Net Equity . . . whether the money sits in a bank account or in assets with leverage does not change the net value of the dollar amount.

Regards,

Steve

Steve Navra said:

The main aim of the excercise is to turn equity into income; FOR THE PURPOSE OF SERVICEABILITY.

Steve

Talk about confusing - I've been talking about spending the income and living off the capital as per the title of this thread:

Are you happy to retire by "living out of capital"?

MichaelM said:
[Are you happy to RETIRE by "living out of capital"?

Yes . . . exactly :D

Stage 1: Build up the assets!!
Stage 2: Live off the capital in "retirement". (Financial independence)

If there has been some confusion, perhaps it is about at what stage one can live off (spend) the capital.

regards,

Steve

Steve Navra said:

Mountains of debt is a term I don't understand . . . it is only debt if you do not have the backing of strong capital appreciating assets.

Steve

mmm, You have me at a disadvantage as you know exactly what you said in your presentation and I don't have access to your spread sheets , but my recollection is that at the last section of your presentation, you used one of your work sheets to generate examples of how much income one could generate using your system inorder to reach a point where one was financial indepentant

This involved buying appropriatly selected negatively geared growth properties , saving a certain amount of money from your income, reinvesting money in suitably selected managed funds , and then buying further property. The cash bonds were used during this process to increase servicability but my understanding was that at the end of the process , the cash bonds were used to provide the income from which one was deriving ones financial independance.

If at the end of the process , when one has achieved financial independence , how else is income derived by living off the capital , if you are not using the income from cash bonds.

At one stage during this last section , you had an example where you demonstrated an income of ( can't remember the exact figure ) of ewhere between 1-200 k / year . What I noticed was the net equity was ( I think) in the low 1 mill mark, based on a gross equity in the 5 mill region total debt in the 4 mill region. I know several of the more adventerous investors on the forum and I think that once you start getting into figures like that , that is not a debt level they would feel happy about carrying through the whole property cycle and they would probably not be happy about going to retire with.

I know Nivia ( AKA The Wife ) who many of the current forumites don't know liked to keep her LVR down to the 60-70 % area and in a recent poll almost 70 % of the respondee's reported LVR's under 70 %. I think generally as a whole the members of somersoft are a fairly adventerous section of the investment community.

However you choose to look at it , it still is debt.

See Change

see_change said:
At one stage during this last section , you had an example where you demonstrated an income of ( can't remember the exact figure ) of ewhere between 1-200 k / year . What I noticed was the net equity was ( I think) in the low 1 mill mark, based on a gross equity in the 5 mill region total debt in the 4 mill region. I know several of the more adventerous investors on the forum and I think that once you start getting into figures like that , that is not a debt level they would feel happy about carrying through the whole property cycle and they would probably not be happy about going to retire with.

However you choose to look at it , it still is debt.

See Change

See Change:

4M debt on 5M equity? Am I right?
"1% interest rate increase" will send you into A$40,000 more loan repayment per year. Who feels comfortable with this structure?

Cheers

TGP

Hi All
I believe an investor can only live off their assets capital if the equity in those assets is released or the asset generates a cashflow +ve income.
Releasing equity can be achieved through refinancing or topping up loans and annuities. The amount of capital (relised equity) is left up to the comfort safety parameters of each individual. The greater the exposure of debt the greater the leverage and greater risk.
I make my money when I buy low and then renovate to give my investment a great leveraging start.
I focus on how much hurt money I invest and how quickly I can get it back.
example:
property pp 290K (probably a "don't wanter" or a "dog" in a good location)
my total costs in (including reno)= 90K
I make sure that the property rent will nuetralise most/all holding costs.
After reno(2 to 3 months after settlement) market value 350K( more or less current market value for the area at that time)
I am at this point leveraging off 350K not 290K pp. I aim at doing two of these types of projects per year.
I might top up the loan after a year or two and take most of my investment back while still holding the same percentage equity in the property that I started with. If Cap/growth is slow rents and safety nets(reserved funds) get me through until the growth machine kicks in again. Spread this strategy over a large portfolio and the machine works well. ( Maintaining strong safety nets and effective exit strategies helps me sleep at night.)
Although I run a neutral cashflow, it is the released equity from C/Growth that carries me through in the longer term. My only income is the rents from the properties and the occasional sale, so that is what I live off. This might not make sense at first but the released equity enables me to grow and maintain my portfolio.
I'm living off my capital and my capital keeps on growing back again.

Kind regards
Simon

ToGetProperty said:
"1% interest rate increase" will send you into A$40,000 more loan repayment per year. Who feels comfortable with this structure?

I CERTAINLY DO!!

$4M dr on $5M cr; appreciating at 5% pa = $250,000 pa

Or maybe you are worried your assets won't increase at the 5% pa average??
Okay then try 3% pa = $150,000 pa. This is many times more than what the average Australian ends up retiring on.

Heaven help us if we have a few years like we have just experienced at 14% pa for the last 5 years in Sydney = $700,000 pa x 5 years = $3.5M.

Ah, but maybe you are concerned that the next 5 years might not be as good??

Okay then place your $3.5M in the bank at 5% = $175,000 less tax and live comfortably off that.

It seems that what is being suggested is that 70% of forum members are not uncomfortable with debt . . . it is just that the size of the debt is what scares them. As I see it, most seem comfortable to borrow up to maximum LVR as long as the total loans (ignoring the total equity) stay at a figure low enough to fit the borrower’s mindset.

I strongly suggest that the size of the loan is irrelevant . . . the LVR is the only thing that remains consistently relevant.

I therefore wish to post a question for forum members:

Do you believe investors limit their potential to acquire wealth through investment property by their fear of the size of the loans they are prepared to hold??

And of course, each to their own . . . we all become as wealthy as our upper debt (Net Equity) limits.

Regards,

Steve

PS: Simon slipped in a post whilst I was writing . . .
BRAVO Simon!

Hi all,

Acey, perhaps you didn't have your reading glasses on when looking at my post.
Also do you really think we should never go over old ground, even though there are many new participants on the forum??
Why don't we get back to the topic of" living off capital"?
Michael asked about retirement living and 10% interest rates, Steve used the 80% leverage numbers in his answer, my opinion was that they may be talking about two different things.
Where do you think I was incorrect??

Steve, interesting question, my opinion would have to be yes to size of loans and leverage. The reason being the unknown future. There are people who think the sky is falling and ANY leverage/loan will lead to doom and gloom, however most know of someone who lost money by being overextended in some type of investment.
In your last example of $4M debt on $5M portfolio with 5% growth is fine if interest rates stay low and yields stay at reasonable levels, but without trying to predict the future we know that they could go to 12% or even down to 3%.
At 12% the $4M debt on the $5M portfolio(assuming a net yield of 4%), looks very sick.
At 3% the $4M debt on the $5M portfolio(still assuming the net yield of 4%), looks a fantastic idea.

My personal approach is to keep my LVR at a level that can withstand the service costs at the 12% interest level without undue hardship to current living standards.

Because a 1% interest rate rise on a $400K loan is only $4000, while on $4M it is $40,000, loan size will impact on most people. If income is $60K and current investments are neutrally geared, an extra $4K is easier to come up with than $40K.

Just because someone thinks the next 5 years may not be that good, does not mean that we have to sell up everything, we can always use a more conservative approach, but keep investing, afterall my initials are BL not LB . :)

bye

Bill.L said:
Because a 1% interest rate rise on a $400K loan is only $4000, while on $4M it is $40,000, loan size will impact on most people. If income is $60K and current investments are neutrally geared, an extra $4K is easier to come up with than $40K.

Hi,

Its all relative, no?

Using the figures you provided, and assuming a 80% LVR:
On a 500k portfolio at 5% growth pa thats $25k and your $4000 interest increase is 16% of your increase in equity.

On a 5mil portfolio at 5% thats 250k and your 40k increase is 16%. What a coincidence :p

And if you aren't averaging 5% over the long term then perhaps hmm no i won't say that ;)

-Regards
Dave

see_change said:
You have me at a disadvantage as you know exactly what you said in your presentation and I don't have access to your spread sheets , but my recollection is that at the last section of your presentation, you used one of your work sheets to generate examples of how much income one could generate using your system inorder to reach a point where one was financial indepentant

Hi See-change,

No disadvantage . . . but some clarity is perhaps needed.

I will respond with a more in depth post; using the value add spread sheet to make certan points . . . later today or tomorrow.

Two quick points:
1) The income you refer to in your quote occurs only once the asset base has been established. Up until that point all the value add drawdownds are re-invested into assets, so as to build the base up. The spreadsheet only then reflects the amount of income one can use after deducting the cost of maintaining the asset base.

2) The value add spread sheet is calculated without using a cashbond. The cashbond would only be employed if the investor was short on serviceabilty.

A more detailed response with examples will follow later . . .

Until then,

Steve

Hi All
There are two things that will still be here when we are all long gone.
Time and Land. Both of these comodities are constantly on the move and in a state of change. IMHO the people who can find ways to leverage off both will be better off than those who do not.
Therefore, any strategy designed to lead us toward controling(although limited) Time and/or Land is worth looking into.
Kind regards
Simon

Hi all,

Dave, If it is all relative, and your current income is $60K, the extra $4K is managable, but,

Where will you get the extra $40K from?? In the words of a famous politician, Please explain.
Remember we are at 80% leverage and need to service the loans in the present, not at some stage in the future with our 5% growth.

bye

Steve,

I'd have to agree with your comment relating to fear and debt.

I definately believe that a large majority of investors limit their potential to acquire wealth through investments by their fear of the size of their loans they are prepared to hold.

I also believe that a lot of this fear can also be attributed to "lack of knowledge" on how best to manage their assets and debt and also how to place them in the correct structures.

Many people set predetermined limits on how much debt they will allow themselves to acquire, or how may investment properties they need to acquire instead of looking at placing their investments in the correct structures and analysing the figures. The averge bank manager also assists many investors to set these limits by not knowing or looking at other structures and stipulating an amount of money the can/can't borrow.

Personally, I do not set any predetermined limits for either, however I DO constantly monitor my LVR and DSR levels, and continue to increase my knowledge base ensuring that my asset and capital base continues to grow.

The Rich get richer because the have knowledgable advisors who implement the correct strategies and effective and efficient structures for their assets.

The sky is the limit if you have the drive and know how.

Intersted in other peoples thoughts re Steve's question.

Cheers
BUNDY

Steve Navra said:

Now, if the extra serviceability helps you to hold more assets; and they achieve capital growth then perhaps you might wish to enhance your lifestyle and actually spend some of the dollars!

Eventually when yoiu have built up the appropriate asset base; which is now accrueing more capital growth than the income amount you require for financial independence . . . then and only then can you feel comfortable with the concept of Financial independence based on net equity in your portfolio.

Net Equity = Net Equity . . . whether the money sits in a bank account or in assets with leverage does not change the net value of the dollar amount.

Regards,

Steve

Bill.L said:
Remember we are at 80% leverage and need to service the loans in the present, not at some stage in the future with our 5% growth.

Hi Bill.L,

Yes this observation is valid.

The answer is that one would have allowed for the (potential) extra costs by stress testing and budgeting for it;
BEFORE extending the LVR to 80%.

So to illustrate further . . . :
An investor wishes to extend their borrowing to an 80% LVR against $2,000,000 of property assets.

Total loans of $1.6M at say 7% = $112,000 pa (This has been catered for by current income, rentals and dividends.)

What then happens if interest rates increase to 10% with an extra cost per anum of $48,000??

The structure would need to allow for this extra cashflow, before taking out the extra loan. (IE stress tested up to 10%)

So, part of the equation would be a cash reserve (Cashbond if serviceability is a necessary requirement) of $48,000 x 5 years = $240,000.

1) The dollars could be housed in a LOC (No cost until drawn down)
2) In a cashbond with the proceeds paying down the loan / re-invested into equities. (Please allow for the differential betwwen interest cost and CB income.)
3) Directly in shares with the borrowing cost offset by the funds income.

In this budgeted scenario the 10% extra would be adequately cashflowed; and the assets continue to achieve whatever capital growth.

If one wished to be even more conservative; then you could stress test higher . . . 12% or 15%? (In each case the reserve fund amount would need to be higher.)

The investor WOULD NOT increase their LVR to these levels without the necessary backing of a reserve fund; irrespective of what form the reserve fund takes.

Regards,

Steve

PS:
. . . not at some stage in the future with our 5% growth

Rather you cannot spend what you haven't made . . . you fund the future with what you have ALREADY made! :)

simonjulie said:
Hi All
I believe an investor can only live off their assets capital if the equity in those assets is released or the asset generates a cashflow +ve income.
Releasing equity can be achieved through refinancing or topping up loans and annuities. The amount of capital (relised equity) is left up to the comfort safety parameters of each individual. The greater the exposure of debt the greater the leverage and greater risk.
Simon

At this point you don't mention the occasional sale which you refer to later down the line but out side this this makes perfect sense.

simonjulie said:
I make my money when I buy low and then renovate to give my investment a great leveraging start.
I focus on how much hurt money I invest and how quickly I can get it back.
example:
property pp 290K (probably a "don't wanter" or a "dog" in a good location)
my total costs in (including reno)= 90K
I make sure that the property rent will nuetralise most/all holding costs.
After reno(2 to 3 months after settlement) market value 350K( more or less current market value for the area at that time)
I am at this point leveraging off 350K not 290K pp. I aim at doing two of these types of projects per year.
Simon
Again this makes perfect sense. You are making your money at the time you buy , by buying low so you are in a sense making your capital up front, rather than relying on Growth to make it. You have a built in saftey net / cushion in your system by doing this.

simonjulie said:
I might top up the loan after a year or two and take most of my investment back while still holding the same percentage equity in the property that I started with. If Cap/growth is slow rents and safety nets(reserved funds) get me through until the growth machine kicks in again. Spread this strategy over a large portfolio and the machine works well. ( Maintaining strong safety nets and effective exit strategies helps me sleep at night.)

Simon
This strategy sounds exactly like that used by many of the members of the forum. Makes sense to me

simonjulie said:
Although I run a neutral cashflow, it is the released equity from C/Growth that carries me through in the longer term. My only income is the rents from the properties and the occasional sale, so that is what I live off. This might not make sense at first but the released equity enables me to grow and maintain my portfolio.
Simon

It makes perfect sense to me

I don't see any mention of cash bonds here as a way to realise your capital at this stage. To me your approach makes sense . I have absolutly no problems with the occasional sale to live off, in particular if it is to pay for big ticket items. We have three kids at private school . To pay for this I need to generate a pretax income of about 80K ( interestingly that's more than my income... ) With the sale of one property we can effectively pay two in advance and cut down our pretax requirements by two thirds. That gives us a lot more room to do things over the next few years like have some nice holidays ( Whistlers meant to be nice in january ).

simonjulie said:
Kind regards

I agree with the way that you are approaching things, but from what you are saying you are not drawing down you equity by assuming more debt and then " living of the drawn down debt / equity " . When you are drawing on your equity from the increased value , you are using this to by more assets.
If this is correct , then you are doing what many members of the forum are doing all the time.

Steve's comment that The value add spread sheet is calculated without using a cashbond. The cashbond would only be employed if the investor was short on serviceabilty addresses some of my concerns about his system.

I'll comment further when he makes his more detailed reply.

See Change

Last edited:
Hi See change
I used the sale of property idea way, way back on the first page of this thread in regard to serviceability. :) ("sell a lemon " a property not performing up to expectations.)
IMHO The size of the debt is not as critical as the balance of the LVR. Over time all costs become relative to assets. The balance of an investors LVR is related to their personal comfort zones and leveraging power.
I believe Steve's Cash bond is just another way for an investor to free up equity that would normally be locked away in some banks cupboard. If you spend it, then its gone, but if you reinvest it by leveraging it will continue to grow.
My strategy allows me to keep growing my portfolio while living off the rents. Is that what many other members of the forum are doing? I hope so. :)
Kind regards
Simon

simonjulie said:
IMHO The size of the debt is not as critical as the balance of the LVR. Over time all costs become relative to assets. The balance of an investors LVR is related to their personal comfort zones and leveraging power.
Simon
The issue is 4M debt with 80% LVR or 5M assets- "High level debt with high level LVR".

simonjulie said:
My strategy allows me to keep growing my portfolio while living off the rents. Is that what many other members of the forum are doing? I hope so. :)

Simon

Same with me while in the stage of building up my wealth.

Steve Navra said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGetProperty

I CERTAINLY DO!!

Steve
Very brave reply, but it is conflicting with following message:

Steve Navra said:
Total loans of $1.6M at say 7% = $112,000 pa (This has been catered for by current income, rentals and dividends.)

What then happens if interest rates increase to 10% with an extra cost per anum of $48,000??

The structure would need to allow for this extra cashflow, before taking out the extra loan. (IE stress tested up to 10%)

So, part of the equation would be a cash reserve (Cashbond if serviceability is a necessary requirement) of $48,000 x 5 years = $240,000.
Steve
Where is A$240,000 from? Do you need extract A$300,000 equity to have 80% LVR and make up this A$240,000 as a reserve?

And this is 1.6M loan, not 4M loan!!!

Regards

TGP

Hi TGP
If I where to max out my LVR to 80% I would be looking for some pretty good returns on the freed up cash. If I don't spend the money, I still have the equity.
Kind regards
Simon

simonjulie said:
Hi TGP
If I where to max out my LVR to 80% I would be looking for some pretty good returns on the freed up cash. If I don't spend the money, I still have the equity.
Kind regards
Simon
Simon:

However, all equity is locked into property in the scenario of 4M debt on 5M equity. It is 80% LVR already. I am not comfortable with this kind of structure - High level debt with high LVR. Both Highs go together.

Or are you talking something else? I agree with your views: The size of Debt is not so critical subject to LVR is comfortable.

In this forum's vote, my loan size is in top 10% range. However, I feel comfortable because:
1. my LVR is less than 60%; If there is any unexpected issue, I can sell some IPs to reduce the debt.
2. less than 25% of my family incomes is used to service my loan. No much worry about rate rises.
3. Both of them are getting better because renovations as well as reducing debts.

Regards

TGP

As promised here is a more in depth example of the workings of Optimised Investment Structure:

Before we kick off, perhaps I should spell out some investment philosophy to basically set the scene:

1) Investments should by necessity be diversified:

I recommend the most standard investment split . . . 1/3 Property: 1/3 Cash: 1/3 Shares

a) Property for Maximum leverage:
Property remains the favoured asset class for leverage. (Well certainly in the Banks eyes) One can obtain loans against the property asset in excess of 90%. I generally advise the more conservative approach of Property LVR = 80%
So for every dollar invested in property you can hold assets of 4X (80% LVR)

b) Cash for liquidity and serviceability:
The cash fund is a low returning medium; however the purpose of holding amounts in cash is as a risk management exercise so as to cater for difficult circumstances. (Examples: Increasing interest rates, lack of tenants, maintenance et al.)
The second use of cash is to create a cash flow . . . which takes its literal meaning: to create a flowing income stream which is very useful for serviceability to acquire more assets. (Cashbond) Also, once one has acquired sufficient assets to generate enough capital to live off, then the cash flow is very useful, rather than continually having to revalue and draw down equity.
There is obviously no leverage with cash.

c) Shares for best Percentage increase:
Shares offer the best percentage return in the long run, are highly liquid and can be leveraged, but to a lesser degree than property and also with the higher risk of margin calls.
Currently on a conservative share portfolio you can get 67% leverage against your shares. I recommend up to 60% maximum, with the balance as a buffer over and above of your cash buffer.
So for every dollar invested in shares you can hold assets of 3X. (60% LVR)

EXAMPLE:
An investor has a $500,000 unencumbered home, no other investments and wishes to create an ‘efficient’ portfolio.

1) Approach a lending institution and borrow 80% of the value of the asset.
On the assumption that the investor has income sufficient for this loan a cashbond is not required. The result of the banking exercise is a LOC of $400,000.

Proceeds are to be invested as follows:

Property: $133,000
Purchase a $450,000 property with a 20% deposit. [80% loan <$360,000>]
The balance of the cash is used for costs.

Total property assets = $500,000 (home) + $450,000 (IP) = $950,000
Total Loans = $400,000 (LOC) + $360,000 (IP) = $760,000
LVR = 80%

Now just to point out that many resist this LVR as being too high. (No sleep factor.)
What they are failing to realize is that there is still $267,667 to be held in cash in the LOC and in shares as a buffer.

Shares: $133,000
Purchase shares to the value $332,500 with a 40% deposit, [60% loan <$199,500>]

Cash buffer of $133,000.
There are some choices as to the form of the cash buffer:
a) LOC . . . the dollars are readily available, no cost until drawn upon.
b) Further shares (No Leverage) . . . liquidity readily available, cost of dollars is offset by dividends / income plus potential capital gain / loss.
c) Cashbond . . . utilized only if extra serviceability required, cash available as a monthly income stream, resulting income can be re-invested into shares, or paid down to reduce a loan or placed into the LOC or the offset account.
d) Offset Account

Consequences: (Assumed capital growth on all asset classes = 5%)

If the investor did nothing:
$500,000 home growing at 5% p.a. = $25,000 p.a.
(But hey . . . NO RISK . . . you should be able to sleep easy and look forward to your pension)

Structured Investment:
Property Portfolio of $950,000 at 5% p.a. = $47,500 (Capital Growth)
Rental income say 4.5% on $450,000 = $20,250 p.a.
Share Portfolio of $332,500 at 5% p.a. = $16,625 p.a. (Capital Growth)
Dividend income say 4% = $13,300
Income from cash say 4.5% = $5,895
Total Return: $47,500 + $20,250 + $16,625 + $13,300 + $5,895 = $103,660 p.a.

Cost of the loan: $760,000 property + $199,500 shares at 6.5% = $62,367 p.a.

Net effect: $103,660 - $62,367 = $41,219
Add back depreciation benefits and tax savings and you will see that this is more than 2X better than doing nothing.

NOTE: The portfolio is negatively cash flowed:
Costs = $62,367
Income (Not including the capital growth) = $39,445
Therefore the cash flow cost p.a. = -$22,922 p.a.

What about the RISK??

Well if you are thinking what risk? REMEMBER the dreaded 80% LVR against your properties.

Okay so the LVR against property is 80%.
However the overall LVR is 67.78%
Total Debt = $959,500 / Total Assets: ($500,000 home) + ($450,000 IP) + ($332,500 shares) + ($133,000 cash) = $1,415,500.

If the portfolio averages 3% pa for the next 5 years = $1,667,498 (Gain of $251,998)
If the portfolio averages 5% pa for the next 5 years = $1,834,204 (Gain of $418,704)
If the portfolio averages 7% pa for the next 5 years = $2,014,065 (Gain of $598,565)

This compares very favorably with the gain over 5 years on just the home
at 3% p.a. = $106,182
at 5% p.a. = $165,768
at 7% p.a. = $230,029

Aaaah yes . . . I nearly forgot: WHAT HAPPENS IF INTEREST RATES GO UP TO 10% AND THE LVR ON YOUR PROPERTIES IS 80%

So total loans = $959,500 x 6.5% = $62,367 p.a.

If interest rates are 10% then the cost increases = $95,950 p.a.
An extra cost of $33,583 p.a. which will be VERY DIFFICULT to sustain, if say your Gross Income is $60,000 a year. (Ahem Bill.L’s question :) )

Total Cash Buffer = $133,000 / $33,583 = 3.96 years. (4 years of cover)

So at the end of the 4th year assuming interest rates have remained at 10%, you might need to draw down some of your equity gain to survive.

Assume it was a VERY bad 4 years and you achieved less than the cash rate, say 3% pa.
Portfolio value end of 4th year = $1,614,075 (Equity gain of $198,575)
80% of the gain is available = $158,860 at a cost of $15,886 pa (Also at 10%)
$158,860 / 33,583 + 15,886 = 3.21 years.
So you are covered for a further 3 years. (Even if your portfolio is only averaging 3% p.a.)

I believe this to be of a very low risk profile.

NOTES:

1) In the building phase, (Acquiring the assets for financial independence) the only income spent is used to cover the holding costs of maintaining the asset base.
2) A buffer is maintained upfront to allow for extra (unforeseen) costs that might occur before you have accrued an equity gain.
3) Although the Property LVR = 80%; the overall LVR = < 70%
4) The scenario at the end of 5 years based on a 5% p.a. portfolio growth = Net equity of $874,704 at an LVR = 52.31% (Loans = $959,500 and Equity = $1,834,204)
5) Cashbonds are only used if and when extra serviceability is required.
6) One “ONLY LIVES OFF CAPITAL FOR RETIREMENT” when you have accrued sufficient assets to provide Capital Growth in excess of your needs less the costs of maintaining the asset base.
7) Circumstances change continuously; so does your budgeting.
8) Value adding by re-investing your equity gain each year into further assets (Duplicating) will double your asset base every 5 years. (Dollar working 6X)

I hope this clarifies some of the many questions,

Regards,

Steve

Back