Arranging your own quote

I have a property that has some plumbling issues and the quote that the agent has arranged from their 'preferred' plumbers has come back to several thousands of dollars. Its quite a big amount.

I would like to ask whether its acceptable for me to arrange for someone to do a quote for me and could i get him to attend to the job for me if it comes back more desirable .

Would i offend the agent for making this arrangement myself? I would be getting the plumber to go through the agent for the keys and all

It is YOUR property. You alone decide who does the work to it, the agent works for YOU.

Yep. I always get my own trades to do work, I have a network from many years of relationships and get a better price/job than the agents trades.

We have agents ring hubby for ALL maintenance. Sometimes it's something simple he can do himself. If not we arrange for someone. It's not an issue.

If you want to do it in the future change the lease agreement to state that or just tell them to ring you instead of getting quotes. They may get annoyed if they go to the trouble of getting quotes for nothing.

So what happens, do I get the plumber to call the agent to arrange time. Does the property agent typically go to the property with the plumber or do they give him the keys. My property is tennanted.

I always get our tradies to call the tenant direct because they need to find a time that suits both of them. That way, no keys are needed.

If you do need for the tradie to go there while the tenant is not home, you could meet him yourself with keys (after giving the correct notice to the tenant) or give your tradie's details to the PM to arrange entry, just as the PM would do for a different tradie of their choice.

Back