Article - Poor shunted to suburbs

I do believe that there are many genuinely lazy slack-a##e people around who will rely on any excuse to get out of work.

However, I am inclined to agree with Evand that many people who have grown up in dreg suburbs to dreg parents and family and are surrounded by dreg friends and neighbours will not always understand that an alternative life is available. This is more about human behaviour and psychology than anything else. People learn a way of life through their experiences as children and whether consciously or not, it will affect them later in life. It takes a special person to find the strength or desire to seek an alternative path. This would certainly be the exception rather than the rule.

To pinch a line from Elakys post below "This would certainly be the exception rather than the rule"

And because i'm smart (he says modestly). Not in an academic (although not too bad) sense but in a street smart sense. Let me put it this way. I grew up pretty quickly.

I remember when i was a 1st or 2nd year apprentice, my family was visited by a long lost uncle (who it had turned out had spent quite a bit of time in the big house) who turned up in a very flash car and expensive suit. Think Underbelly haha

Anyway, when he found out i was an apprentice electrician he asked my if i'd like to do some alarm work for him....haha...meaning disabling them for him and his mates.:eek:

Also as a late teenager my family knew one person, just one, who owned a business and after i asked him how he had such a nice house, car etc he said to me "you can own a business and make money too you know"

Thats all it took, one person with one line! Not everyone has even that.

but evand - you told us the story about how you rose above your beginnings, and so did you bobcat mate ... what made you different from all those you left behind?

was it choice and desire? isn't this something readily available to all - only if they have the "desire" bit?

why do you think you moved to better ground and not the others?

Bother with what mate?

Hehe, its Daz. The guy is a major sucess story and did it the hard way. To use his post as a reference point, many of the people here are around that 80% and moving towards 90% at their own pace (some faster than others). I don't know where he is on the 0-99.9% scale but he's at the "next level". He keeps handing out pearls of wisdom but alot of us (me included) aren't at a stage where we can incorporate them into our psyche. He's playing ina different league with different rules.

You like analogies. Many people have never skied. Most people here have made it to the mountain and have learned to snow plough. Old Daz is zooming down the black runs. He'll stop occasionally to give advice but if you aren't ready for it he'll shrug politely and say "Cheers - good luck with that".

I grew up in Ipswich and have taught at Woodridge and other equally dodgy areas. A couple of points from my experience:

> Negative environment. If you go to a party, wedding, christening in one of these places etc all the majority of people do is whinge. They complain about everything and anything as a form of social interaction.

>It's not my fault. It's the government's, it's you teachers, it's my parents it's anyones but my own.

>Life isn't fair or The world owes me a living. I'm so hard done by because I am poor\have add ahd or some other made up condition to make me feel better\ my parents didn't work so I never will\ poor me poor me.

>I deserve it. I deserve foxtel, smokes, drinking a plasma, expensive clothes etc. Why should rich people have these essential things that I don't

> I need it now. Interest free, can't wait 5 years for an investment to work, I want to be rich instantly etc.

In woodridge nearly every kid had Foxtel you drive down the street and there is satellite dishes everywhere. Every kid has a mobile phone. Yet I wouldn't waste money on foxtel or a mobile phone at that time even though I was rather well off.

Plenty of people I know living in Ipswich (I am still in contact but moved to the big smoke as an 18yo because I think it is a sh**hole) were earning a lot more money than i was (I was earning 28k a year when I bought my first place in 1998, knew what I was doing in detail but still wouldn't take the step for a million and one reasons. Those same people now think that I was lucky and so there is another reason that they couldn't start now.

I think overall only a few people do "get out" of these areas. I have also seen people who are getting out only to be sucked back in by falling in love with someone who doesn't have same the attributes as them

Alex,

Only you know if you're missing something there mate. My point is that you cant expect everyone to be high income earners and live in the inner city sipping lattes.

A lot of people are priced out and thats not because they have plasmas, smoke ciggies, drink whatever....there are a hell of a lot of decent, hard working people on low incomes.

By the way dude....where's your Porsche?

Evand,

I personally cannot see a direct connection between the points you make above.

1) Being unable to or unwilling to purchase a property in the inner-city has nothing to do with whether a person is decent or hardworking! Many decent and hardworking people I know don't live in the inner-city. They are very intelligent, but do not choose to, or do not have the financial means to live in the city. I would be worried if I chose to assess someone's character and personality by which suburb they lived in! Now that is what I call superficial.

2) Secondly, I don't think you have read many of Alex's posts on his investment philosophies. Inner city isn't one of them I must point out!

3) I am not sure what the reference to Alex's porsche has to do with your points above? It is a nice colour though, just for the record....

true - i paid him very good money for advice that was faulty ... but ... even tho i might get peeved at the faulty advice given at the end of the day i signed the documents.

which is probably why i am so annoyed at the situation - because "i" didn't educate myself better at the time and allowed it to happen.

i don't know that i blamed him - to some extent i blame the advice but acknowledge that the buck stops with me. and i am definately not going "woe is me" and doing nothing about it ... i have spent weeks/months talking to experts to see what is viable and am now taking a course of action to extract ourselves from the problem and set us back on our merry way.

Good on you lizzie. You are fighting this, and will end up in a very strong position in the future because of the work you have put into sorting this situation out.

Regards Jason.

Sorry mate, i disagree. You see, i'm already successful and have been for years.

You might learn a thing or two from Daz, but i don't want to go down the commercial property path so i don't need to.

I work because i choose to work, i take my kids to school, have coffee with friends, surf during the day, do a bit of consulting if i feel like it, i have zero debt (beside IP debt) and a few million+ in equity/cash/shares.

I considered myself unemployable a long time ago and have dabbled in small development/ business/investing since. I have started and sold a couple of businesses, invested for close to 20 years etc......there might be a couple of things Daz could teach me but i'm sure theres a few things i could teach him.

Basically i live the life that Alex has on his signature: To do what i want, when i want how i want. (or whatever)

Oh...and....i'm great skier. Been skiing for 20 or so years.:D

ps; Theres no shortage of people on this forum that have kicked quite a few goals in their life. Maybe you just don't know about it. Thats probably because they don't go on about it.

Hehe, its Daz. The guy is a major sucess story and did it the hard way. To use his post as a reference point, many of the people here are around that 80% and moving towards 90% at their own pace (some faster than others). I don't know where he is on the 0-99.9% scale but he's at the "next level". He keeps handing out pearls of wisdom but alot of us (me included) aren't at a stage where we can incorporate them into our psyche. He's playing ina different league with different rules.

You like analogies. Many people have never skied. Most people here have made it to the mountain and have learned to snow plough. Old Daz is zooming down the black runs. He'll stop occasionally to give advice but if you aren't ready for it he'll shrug politely and say "Cheers - good luck with that".

Last edited:
> Negative environment. If you go to a party, wedding, christening in one of these places etc all the majority of people do is whinge. They complain about everything and anything as a form of social interaction.

>It's not my fault. It's the government's, it's you teachers, it's my parents it's anyones but my own.

Yup! I hear the same thing 5 days a week with one of the girls at work. Get's quite annoying to listen to!

When I made the transition from an average primary to a crap high school at the age of 12, the thing that surprised me the most was the amount of whinging that went on. As a I grew up (I spent 6 years at that place) I noticed that whinging and negativity is, for many people, a way of life. I suspect that this is actually a coping mechanism for many people, allowing them to cope with their life not turning out as they'd dreamed.

The thing I did notice, even as a 12 year old, was that the people doing the whinging weren't the ones getting anywhere, and that the few achievers were good at accepting consequences as a result of their choices. Perhaps this realisation is why I didn't fit in that well at high school, and have taken very different paths to most of those people since.

The wonderful thing about our country is that we have the freedom to do what we want, when we want - provided we can get it organised ourself! Hence, investing...

Last edited:
Back