article "Think twice before buying a home"

Just read this article, "Think twice before buying a home" by David Koch . Doom and gloom... don't buy! it almost screams!

"Overseas economists warn Australian home prices are up to 50 per cent overvalued."

"Our property market missed last year’s global downturn. Sometime in the next two to four years there will be a dip in the property cycle, I’m concerned it could be a major correction. "

I'm planning to buy soon, have a read and tell me what you think? true or scare tactics?

Buy now, and if or when they dip in price, buy 2 more.
If they increase in value instead of decreasing, you did good too.
Can't lose.

"Overseas economists warn Australian home prices are up to 50 per cent overvalued."

I'm planning to buy soon, have a read and tell me what you think? true or scare tactics?

That's one of the problems - 'overseas' economists who do not understand the Australian housing marketplace.

The RBA says there is no bubble. Both political leaders say there is no bubble. The ANZ Australian Property Outlook http://www.anz.com/resources/5/5/55....pdf?CACHEID=5517ce804331090793ff9f5b4fbd8721
says Australian house prices are not overvalued and that the measure of house price to income ratio is a flawed measure of affordability.

If you want to get investing advice from TV hosts, then you'll learn the hard way. ;)

The ANZ Australian Property Outlook http://www.anz.com/resources/5/5/55....pdf?CACHEID=5517ce804331090793ff9f5b4fbd8721
says Australian house prices are not overvalued and that the measure of house price to income ratio is a flawed measure of affordability.
However, the major reason for this has been structural (read permanent) reduction in interest rates.
That's certainly a very bold prediction...what tools will the RBA have to get a high inflation scenario under control if required (given low rates are now guaranteed/permanent)? What do they believe are the reasons for the structural change to interest rates?

Propertunity, if you are of the same opinion regarding interest rates perhaps you can answer the above from your personal viewpoint?

That's certainly a very bold prediction...what tools will the RBA have to get a high inflation scenario under control if required (given low rates are now guaranteed/permanent)? What do they believe are the reasons for the structural change to interest rates?

Propertunity, if you are of the same opinion regarding interest rates perhaps you can answer the above from your personal viewpoint?

Isn't using the interest rate hammer the weapon against inflation? Who said its Permanent?

I reckon you'd be hard to find anyone who hadn't thought at least 10 times before actually signing on the bottom line to purchase a house.

I don't know anyone who only thought twice.

I didn't read the article
buy Actually I was told by competent investors thAt there will still b a crash in Australian property so to keep money in cash or gold at the moment so there may b truth to it .

^^^^^^ lol

Have a chuckle if you like, but priced in Gold housing has already crashed 30-50% in capital cities and still has a way to go in comparison to what happened 30 years ago.

Attachments

• 600wSydney.png
    600wSydney.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 600wMelbourne.png
    600wMelbourne.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 85
Is this David Koch, morning show host? Quoting overseas experts who don't know much about the local market?

Not big on credibility is he.

I didn't read the article
buy Actually I was told by competent investors thAt there will still b a crash in Australian property so to keep money in cash or gold at the moment so there may b truth to it .

I know rite? I 2 can c the crash, sux 2 b investor now lolz

Common his David Koch :p

I was always adamant that house prices won't drop anymore the 5% if they do drop and that doesn't really worry me as I'm a "buy and hold" person.

I'm not a huge fan of Kochie, but he does have a following and along with Pascoe'd recent change of sentiment I believe it does show a shift in attitudes towards the property market which it looks like we will see a lot more of now that supply is starting to increase.

Just read this article, "Think twice before buying a home" by David Koch . Doom and gloom... don't buy! it almost screams!

"Our property market missed last year’s global downturn. Sometime in the next two to four years there will be a dip in the property cycle, I’m concerned it could be a major correction. "

Ok for Koch his had his own home and lived in luxury for yrs.
But what if you haven't, we've been between houses and in limbo 3 yrs renting, it's been hell.
I have 4 other places now but they're cheapies, heaps of margin , my own place was spending a lot more so I held off and got caught out ..
I waited till early last yr, Rudd stepped in and off it went again back to ridiculous for atleast 14 mths and those buyers would certainly be in a lot of trouble if things turn ugly but now here we are again looking like headed back to pre Rudd but finance has tightened, a lot .
Demand does seem to have eased right off again now putting us buyers back into a good offering position but now it's financing. For me all this waiting certainly backfired .
I wouldn't invest on these prices , unless it's 30 or 40% of market and they're around . But buying your own place , how long are you meant to wait ?
I we're safe as long as we don't pay these stupid prices, again just like investing .
Find that one off bargain 20 or 30% down even if it's a renovator and with deposit we should be safe.

On a national front , we do actually have quite a bit in common with the US scenario . But sure yes they were doing dodgy loans but, our mobs have allowed people this last 7-8 yrs and in particular Rudds stimulus spike period to pay ridiculously way over inflated prices with massive loans.
I actually could not believe the banks were lending the kind of money they did last yr on spiked prices like that that "followed" , 6 or 7 yrs of the biggest boom the country had ever seen and 300 & 400% gains in under a decade, our stuff is 50% over priced , I've said that for yrs.
The OS guys do look at us and just shake their heads stepping back for the pop but still, how are you suppose to wait 4 yrs to buy your home.
We've decided to move into an investment place if it goes ahead, for a yr or two from here . Restructure , finish that reno and then back to buying our own. So who knows where it'll all be in 18mths , although moving into that one is because we haven't found our own yet but the wait may end up worthwhile and I get a win yet- ahwell.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back