Artificial Grass for IP

Sorry if it has been asked before.

I am interested on opinions on the artificial grass for an investment property front lawn (house). The area is only about 15m2 so prob would cost about $1000.

I have always thought it was a bad move in general but have seem some really life like products coming out.

There would be obvious benefits where as the house would look green and freshly mowed all year round and the tenants never need to mow it so could appeal to more people etc.

Would you consider this a wise investment for an IP and would it have any impact of the value?

Thanks

I wouldn't do it. Once it is damaged then it would be annoying to fix it. I don't think tenants would look after it.

We have it in our home for mainly three reasons.
1. I'm allergic to cut grass
2. Grass won't grow well in these areas (se attached)
3. I'm too lazy

I would simply have some other soft landscaping. Again, it all depends on its 'location'.

Attachments

• SideCoverAttached.jpg
    SideCoverAttached.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 120
Thanks Devank, is there much maintenance?

My backyard has artificial grass.Its been down 3 years now,home to 3 Labradors...............:eek:,and still looks brand new.Admittedly it cost $12,000 as it was top of the range,but would do it again.One thing,you still get weeds come through.

Thanks Devank, is there much maintenance?

Nah. It was professionally installed. All leaves and dust gets washed away when it rains.
I'm supposed to spread a bit of sand every year but haven't done that for last 4 years :mad:

Last edited:
Great thanks.

The backyard is tiny too so could probably get both done for under $3000 and then the tenants wont need a lawnmower at all.

I do allow dogs in rental properties so that's good to know about the labs Jim.

I guess in exchange for not having to mow and weed and water you could just add in the contract that the fake grass needs a rake and a bit of sand at the end of the lease.

I had a couple of landscapers give quotes on my place, both gave me the hex symbol when i asked about artificial grass.

Some reasons were;
* Expensive for what it is if its done properly, ie with layers of the correct stuff under it
* Very hot, sun reflects off of it into outdoor living areas and is hot to stand on
* Liquids (eg pet ****, kids spills) sit on top instead of soaking thru properly like with real grass

Paving was better priced and better suited, and can be greened up a bit with pot plants.

I had a couple of landscapers give quotes on my place, both gave me the hex symbol when i asked about artificial grass.

Some reasons were;
* Expensive for what it is if its done properly, ie with layers of the correct stuff under it Sort of but if you want a soft surface that looks good not many options
* Very hot, sun reflects off of it into outdoor living areas and is hot to stand on Not true for mine it's hot in summer but I can still barefoot it as long as I don't stand still for extended periods i.e. multiple minutes
* Liquids (eg pet ****, kids spills) sit on top instead of soaking thru properly like with real grass completely untrue for mine at least it soaks through the fake stuff as fast as it ever did through the natural grass

Paving was better priced and better suited, and can be greened up a bit with pot plants.

Having said the above I have mixed feelings about it it looks and feels very good and I don't have to mow or water but it still does have weeds grow through that I have to spray periodically which irritates me but this is a bi annual spray so not to intensive and they don't sprout all over just issolated outbreaks.

* Very hot, sun reflects off of it into outdoor living areas and is hot to stand on
It is hotter than natural grass but not by so much. Normally you would some sort of footwear anyway.
You can go on barefoot other times though.

It is actually working well with our kids. I don't need to worry about their feet getting dirty or thorns.

* Liquids (eg pet ****, kids spills) sit on top instead of soaking thru properly like with real grass
Again... not as much as natural grass but still everything goes through.

Pavers can cause a bit of water run off. Grass just let the water to go into the ground.

Thanks all, the area is the front of a house which would probably have very little foot traffic and no animals purely for decoration. I never thought about the depreciation aspect so that is a plus.

Back