Artificial grass

Hi all

Thinking about selling a property in perth to have a bit more equity for other purchases. The front lawn about 12mX8m area is pretty much dead. no irrigation set up and i can't really be bothered trying to grow lawns id prefer to just put in some artificial stuff. from the looks of it prices range from 20$ 1sqm - 40$ 1sqm. http://www.evergreensyntheticgrass.com.au/specials/

This is the only part of the house that needs new grass. would cost me less than 500$ and give a really good first impression i think.

whats other peoples thoughts on this??

A lot of artificial grass now looks very good. A neighbouring house has had a nature strip of grass for some years and it still looks good- it's possible it was expensive at the time.

It does get hot in the sun unlike real grass.

A lot of artificial grass now looks very good. A neighbouring house has had a nature strip of grass for some years and it still looks good- it's possible it was expensive at the time.

It does get hot in the sun unlike real grass.

Well the company i linked in has a 10 year warranty for there product so it must be sturdy. I'm not to concerned about its lifespan as long as it looks the part if i decide to sell :) i might go check the place out tomorrow so ill post my thoughts if i do. would love to advice from perth based people aswell. is this common in perth?

also geoff mentioned it looks good for a small strip area but if the area is 10m2 would the size make a difference. and also I'm going to have to run it up to the front of the property where its council land and the grass is dead here aswell so would the sudden contrast between dead grass and nice green artificial grass look stupid?

cheers

I have read some people dislike because it doesn't cool like grass/vegetation. You may need council approval if on verge. Neighbour had a quote recently for backyard - fake grass v's paving, price was $4000 v's $2500. I was surprised at difference in $$$.

We've put fake grass by ourselves in our PPR. About 70m2. Best thing ever. Very happy with it and kids love it too. As geoff said, it gets very hot though. In a hot day, you can't stand on it without shoes.

I think bashworth is a bit biased against synthetic grass.

I have attached our backyard grass. It is about 4 years old. I don't think I ever raked it. I'm supposed to add a bit of sand and rake it every year.

Weeds do come up especially at the borders. You can see that in my picture as well. But this is no where near what you get in open soil. I do little bit of weeding every 3 or 4 months. Just pull the weed and spray round up.

Like allsuccess said, it is one of the best thing I did! I get to play with kids on weekends rather than spending time with the lawn. Initially I installed this grass simply because I'm allergic to cut grass.

Like geoffw said, it does get hot but we really don't go there if it is hot anyway. I recon this heat actually kills off any bugs in the grass :)

Attachments

• 2013-12-01 19 02 39.jpg
    2013-12-01 19 02 39.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 122
I am a lover of the fake grass,to the point i had $12,000 of it installed at my home.We have 3 dogs,and it still looks brand new after 4 years,this was top pf the range grass BTW.Weeds sometimes do come through,but not many,A quich rake up once a week keeps it looking A1.

I have attached our backyard grass. It is about 4 years old. I don't think I ever raked it. I'm supposed to add a bit of sand and rake it every year.

Weeds do come up especially at the borders. You can see that in my picture as well. But this is no where near what you get in open soil. I do little bit of weeding every 3 or 4 months. Just pull the weed and spray round up.

Like allsuccess said, it is one of the best thing I did! I get to play with kids on weekends rather than spending time with the lawn. Initially I installed this grass simply because I'm allergic to cut grass.

Like geoffw said, it does get hot but we really don't go there if it is hot anyway. I recon this heat actually kills off any bugs in the grass :)
Sorry off topic, but I've been meaning to ask if it made a difference to allergy?

I wanted to get fake grass for backyard, hubby hates it. We spend a fortune on retic, sprinkler replacement and water. And then the allergy bit isn't fun! Can you easily lay yourself? I saw an excellent makeover recently using it, will try to find link

Sorry off topic, but I've been meaning to ask if it made a difference to allergy?
Definitely yes. Generally I get affected if I spend an hour in a cut grass area.

We got a professional to do it. He leveled the ground and put 'metallic sand' and perfectly installed the grass. You can't even tell where the joins are. I don't think I'm capable of doing such a clean job.

Definitely yes. Generally I get affected if I spend an hour in a cut grass area.

We got a professional to do it. He leveled the ground and put 'metallic sand' and perfectly installed the grass. You can't even tell where the joins are. I don't think I'm capable of doing such a clean job.

Thanks. Might have to work on hubby!

Thanks. Might have to work on hubby!

I should point out that I do lot more to avoid ?allergies?.

1. Drink Lemon, honey & ginger mix every morning ? I strongly believe this reduced the frequency and length of cold (myself & kids).
2. Professional cleaner cleans the house for 3 hours every fortnight.
3. Take one Nature?s own Garlic+C & Horseradish every night.
4. Take Olive Lead capsule at lunch time if I remember. MsAli told me to do so.
5. Avoid drinking anything cold (except alcohol :) )
6. Ware sunnies when I go to work and wash my hands at both ends.
7. Avoid anyone holding a flower.
8. Do a bit more activity: 1.5 hrs of Tennis X 2 + 45 mins of Cycling X 2 every week
9. 1 min press ups in the mornings. Only started this year and slowly increasing it.
10. Try to eat 2-3 fruits every day

I'm sure all these play a little part in avoiding hey fever.

Last edited:
I should point out that I do lot more to avoid ?allergies?.

1. Drink Lemon, honey & ginger mix every morning ? I strongly believe this reduced the frequency and length of cold (myself & kids).
2. Professional cleaner cleans the house for 3 hours every fortnight.
3. Take one Nature?s own Garlic+C & Horseradish every night.
4. Take Olive Lead capsule at lunch time if I remember. MsAli told me to do so.
5. Avoid drinking anything cold (except alcohol :) )
6. Ware sunnies when I go to work and wash my hands at both ends.
7. Avoid anyone holding a flower.
8. Do a bit more activity: 1.5 hrs of Tennis X 2 + 45 mins of Cycling X 2 every week
9. 1 min press ups in the mornings. Only started this year and slowly increasing it.
10. Try to eat 2-3 fruits every day

I?m all these play a little part in avoiding hey fever.

Sigh.... now if I could only be bothered to do half of this :)
Cursed with a fast metabolism.

That looks great. Im building a new house swell and originally i was thinking of having no grass, just pavers and pepples for the landscaping. Might change to artificial grass for that aswell, green grass always looks good!

still concerned about butting the artificial grass up to the council verge where all the grass is dead there, do you think this would look strange?

maybe i could buy some fake plants while I'm at it to create a bit of a barrier/fence haha

concerned about butting the artificial grass up to the council verge where all the grass is dead there, do you think this would look strange?

maybe i could buy some fake plants while I'm at it to create a bit of a barrier/fence haha

I'm sure how it would look in the front of the house though. Our front yard is still natural grass.

Definitely having a small garden bed with a small brick barrier would help. Synthetic grass looks better in distance :)

I've just finished laying a small section.

I was quoted 3,800 to replace an existing paved area about 25 square meters.

Going rate is about $50/metre (for the good stuff) and $100/metre to install.

I decided to do it myself and lay directly over the pavers, worked out a treat. I'm officially an artificial grass convert!

I would definately recommend getting a couple of samples, preferably the best they have vs a cheaper, but still good, alternative, and see how they go in various conditions.

There's plenty of youtube videos out there if you want to DIY.

Thanks everyone! yip I'll be doing it myself, youtube has everything eh.

good idea with the samples aswell gooram ill make sure to ask for a few.

Back