arts grants, income and home loans

Hi there - looking for thoughts on getting a loan using an arts grant as business income. I am trying to buy a house that I am very keen on and would give me all kinds of business opportunities, as well as a great place to live. I have spent the past week with a mortgage broker, getting my paperwork in order and waiting for my accountant to do a tax return. I have one years tax return only as the previous year I was studying and with a small child at home and had no business income.
I had great hopes of a full doc loan with a bank that requires only one tax return, but it hinged on my business income (freelance writer), which for the last year was almost completely a $25000 arts grant. Both the broker and I assumed this would have been included as business income by my accountant, but it wasn't. The grant was for writing the second draft of a book. I had to have a pretty impressive portfolio of published work to even be eligible to apply, so to my mind, it is writing income. But my accountant's paperwork shows a $400 loss to my business and the grant is in a separate category. My broker thinks this will not be acceptable to the bank. (I do have rental income and tax free income as well). I was thinking about trying for bridging finance and have just spent some hours trawling through the gallons of information on this site and it appears to be a risky venture, committing to selling a house in under 6 months (although all the agents I've spoken to believe it will sell within 3 months). Anything else I can do, or a way I can present my case favourably to the bank? I have signed the accountants paperwork and it has been electronically lodged. I don't think he has done me any favours, but perhaps this is the rule for grants? I did call a couple of accountants from the phone book and they seemed to think the grant would be classed as income, but were not sure. I will not have the assessment notice until after the auction. I have no bas statements or GST registration for a low doc loan.
I have made an appointment with the bank - thought it was worth a shot? Any thoughts? Wasting my time or is there a way through? I'd appreciate any advice or comments, thanks.

Hi there - looking for thoughts on getting a loan using an arts grant as business income. I am trying to buy a house that I am very keen on and would give me all kinds of business opportunities, as well as a great place to live. I have spent the past week with a mortgage broker, getting my paperwork in order and waiting for my accountant to do a tax return. I have one years tax return only as the previous year I was studying and with a small child at home and had no business income.
I had great hopes of a full doc loan with a bank that requires only one tax return, but it hinged on my business income (freelance writer), which for the last year was almost completely a $25000 arts grant. Both the broker and I assumed this would have been included as business income by my accountant, but it wasn't. The grant was for writing the second draft of a book. I had to have a pretty impressive portfolio of published work to even be eligible to apply, so to my mind, it is writing income. But my accountant's paperwork shows a $400 loss to my business and the grant is in a separate category. My broker thinks this will not be acceptable to the bank. (I do have rental income and tax free income as well). I was thinking about trying for bridging finance and have just spent some hours trawling through the gallons of information on this site and it appears to be a risky venture, committing to selling a house in under 6 months (although all the agents I've spoken to believe it will sell within 3 months). Anything else I can do, or a way I can present my case favourably to the bank? I have signed the accountants paperwork and it has been electronically lodged. I don't think he has done me any favours, but perhaps this is the rule for grants? I did call a couple of accountants from the phone book and they seemed to think the grant would be classed as income, but were not sure. I will not have the assessment notice until after the auction. I have no bas statements or GST registration for a low doc loan.
I have made an appointment with the bank - thought it was worth a shot? Any thoughts? Wasting my time or is there a way through? I'd appreciate any advice or comments, thanks.

Arts grants are normally one-off things. Windfalls like lottery winnings. Good when you get them but certainly not to be relied on.

There's no guarantees in life but it's less stable than the continuous income of regular employment or rental income. Certainly not something to reliably plan around.

Only an imprudent lender would count such unstable windfalls as income, and if they do they should charge high interest to compensate for the risk involved.

Your broker is right - this will not be countable as taxable income and can't be used for your loan application I'm afraid.

Back