Asbestos Fibro - Kicked in wall

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a property in Upper mount Gravatt that was built in the 60's. This property needs a little cosmetic work but overall is looks structually sound. I am guessing the walls are asbestos fibro and from reading in the forums here, asbestos fibro is fine as long as you don't damage the walls. However, the master bedroom has a hole in wall. Looks like it was kicked in. :eek:

I do not know much about asbestos but my main concern is whether the tentants have been exposed to asbestos and if I purchased the property, would that make me legally responsible should they have been exposed.

Would anyone consider still purchasing the property under such circumstances or should the faint of heart stay well clear of such a purchase?

Regards
Dean

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a property in Upper mount Gravatt that was built in the 60's. This property needs a little cosmetic work but overall is looks structually sound. I am guessing the walls are asbestos fibro and from reading in the forums here, asbestos fibro is fine as long as you don't damage the walls. However, the master bedroom has a hole in wall. Looks like it was kicked in. :eek:

I do not know much about asbestos but my main concern is whether the tentants have been exposed to asbestos and if I purchased the property, would that make me legally responsible should they have been exposed.

Would anyone consider still purchasing the property under such circumstances or should the faint of heart stay well clear of such a purchase?

Regards
Dean

Look at the hole in the bedroom wall: is it a thin hard sheet, or is it crumbly white powder between paper? The former is fibro, the latter is gyprock.

Usually only the wet areas used asbestos fibre sheets -- kitchen, bathroom, laundry. Rest of the rooms are likely gyprock.

Did you walk in the room?
Perhaps you should get tested yourself????

I gather from your comment that you think I'm paranoid?:eek:

vaughan said:
Look at the hole in the bedroom wall: is it a thin hard sheet, or is it crumbly white powder between paper? The former is fibro, the latter is gyprock.

Usually only the wet areas used asbestos fibre sheets -- kitchen, bathroom, laundry. Rest of the rooms are likely gyprock.

Thanks vaughan for the info. I appreciate the help. :)

In addition I found this as well which was quite helpful.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/asbestos/

Back