Asbestos

Hey everyone

There is a weatherboard property which i am interested in that has been fully renovated and refurbished on the inside however is obviously still weatherboard on the outside.

The property was built 40 years ago (1975) and is located in melbourne.

I have the section 32 and it states no warnings of asbestos etc

I just wanted to get peoples views on purchasing a weatherboard home, it is for an investment?

I would guess there would be asbestos eaves and probably asbestos bathroom walls and kitchen walls (maybe not though).

Apart from knowing one day you may want to renovate and would need to have any asbestos removed professionally (which does cost money), I see no issue with buying a weatherboard house. That is all we have (except two brick houses). Even the brick ones have asbestos eaves.

If you are concerned about painting, then buy brick, but even brick houses have timber trims (older ones anyway).

see i thought the walls may contain asbestos too however the house on the inside has been completely renovated and refurbished, including the bathrooms ect

Most people associate the term 'weatherboard' with timber. I think you mean it is clad in Hardieplank? which will likely be Asbestos cement in that era but If you are concerned get it tested.

The advantage of buying a clad property over brick is a cheaper price can sometimes be obtained, however higher maintenance is required (painting etc).

Back