ASX-where to next

Sunfish, Let's be realistic,
How can you buy a 1 million $ property with gains from the stock market?
Have you heard of CGT?

Geez, I can't wait for the response to this one..:eek:

What the hell has CGT got to do with making lots of mullah out of the stock market ???:confused:

No need to trigger CGT when you have margin loans to transfer out profits. So far in the market I am doubling my investment every 6 months by being agressive and using leverage.

Bundy,
Good work, risk does pay but be careful mate.
Cheers.

Geez, I can't wait for the response to this one..:eek:

What the hell has CGT got to do with making lots of mullah out of the stock market ???:confused:

What question is this?
Do you have a different tax system at your back of the woods?
I am lost for words, I will go and grab another drink...:)
Cheers

Sunfish, Let's be realistic,
Have you heard of CGT?

I could just possibly do it the way you guys do it. Tapping equity! Why do you assume that a mere stock-holder has no standing with a bank? They can value BHP @ $32 very easily. No costs.

But naturally myopic property only investors feel they know more'n I do about my what could work for me. Feel free! It's a free country.

ps Reading this before posting I realise BV is unaware just how many billions of dollars have been made on the ASX in the last 10 years. He would obviously be surprised then, how much of that money has filtered down to TC, Willare, Seechange, Me and a million other guys 'n gals who have taken the effort to learn how to play the game.

Resources are the only game in Oz at the moment. You can buy the miners, buy them what provide a wide range of services and products to them or you can provide their housing, or even buy property in desirable areas where the miners want to spend their time off. They are the latest primary source of wealth, eclipsing, I suspect the 20 somethings.

G'day BV

Maybe Sunfish has held the shares he is selling to buy his million dollar pad since before CGT introduced (1985)?

Maybe he's buying it with after tax profits?

I can't see what is so hard to believe about someone making a clear million dollar profit from shares as opposed to property.

Some people spend too much time worrying about the tax side of things instead of concentrating on the wealth building itself. And I've previously fallen into this trap myself.

Just my opinion :)

I've built a lot more equity through shares/mgd funds so far in my investing life that from property. Although that is largely due to timing (last 4 years have favoured shares).

Not saying that one is better (I invest in both), but just that to be surprised at somebody making a large sum via shares seems quite naive to me.

He would obviously be surprised then, how much of that money has filtered down to TC, Willair, Seechange, Me and a million other guys 'n gals who have taken the effort to learn how to play the game.
Sunfish, good on you, I have no doubt that you are all knowledgable
and very skilled traders.
Anyway, this talk started because VLA said that the ASX boom is spilling over to property.
That may well be the case, I don't know, hense my original question.
I had no intention to challenge anyone on how much they made
or to compare their gains with property.
Another question though, Lets say that a large number of people made millions on the stock market.
Are these people now converting their shares to cash and buying property?
If that was happening wouldn't you see a significant correction in the stock market?

Cheers

There's no wriggle room here BV. You said, without qualification:

Have you heard of CGT?

To say this proves you have NFI.

And this too is crap I have no doubt that you are all knowledgable and very skilled traders. Speaking on my own behalf I no more claim to Guru status WRT shares than the more modest here do on property. I now know my way around A LITTLE. But that is enough during a secular bull market, but I have known we were in one, that's what matters. I have known it for years.

The acid test will be when markets reverse. Will either of us pick the change when it happens? It won't be easy but whomever picks it first takes home the most toys. :)

IResources are the only game in Oz at the moment. You can buy the miners, buy them what provide a wide range of services and products to them or you can provide their housing, or even buy property in desirable areas where the miners want to spend their time off. They are the latest primary source of wealth, eclipsing, I suspect the 20 somethings.

While mining is flavour of the moment I have also done well with CCL, HVN, WOW, TLS ( yes I love to hate them but 15.5% return for 5 months is :) ) and SGB with a nice 0.25% discount off standard rates of my margin loan.

I did miss my chance on ASX and CPU which have continued to climb, I also like the energy sector as well as looking to ramp up my underweight mining and services shares.

I am a self confessed bank and insurance junkie as well as those that benifit from the super rules. Going to slowly build up on those that will benifit from the next housing boom.

While mining is flavour of the moment I have also done well with CCL, HVN, WOW, TLS ( yes I love to hate them but 15.5% return for 5 months is :) ) and SGB with a nice 0.25% discount off standard rates of my margin loan.

Sorry Bundy. I had no wish to denigrate your shares, or indeed, any individual shares. We are in a secular bull market and I hope you are enjoying the ride. I may sit in a different seat, but we are on the same bus. :D

There's no wriggle room here BV. You said, without qualification:

Have you heard of CGT?

To say this proves you have NFI.
:)
Sunfish,
What answer is this?
You said hundreds of thousands of punters and million dollar properties.
It seems to me that you are the one who has NFI.
I have an opinion on issues just like you do.
it's a free country and if you don't like my opinion then read the disclaimer.

No offence taken Sunfish, I just wish I had taken a bigger punt on BHP and RIO than I did so I would of been on the seat next to you. While they arn't as good a value as they were I am going to go for more when I can.

BV, as I said to AndrewA: You throw down the gauntlet and I will take up the challenge. Stuff the disclaimer!

There is no logical reason why unrealised capital gain on shares can't be used to fund property. This, after all, is the modus operandi preached as gospel on this site.

ASX needs a healthy fall down to say 6000. BHP to make 20billion net profit it it takes over RIO. But I cannot find an entry point for BHP. Waiting for a fall to enter.

Although many companies have made spectacular gains (& losses) from time to time, there are others way less volatile.

I have a chart of MLT from Jan 91 to Jan 07 and it's the steadiest growth I have yet found. Stockmarket corrections for this company barely raised a ripple. Not an ideal company though if you are looking for astronomical growth like in RIO. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

ASX needs a healthy fall down to say 6000. BHP to make 20billion net profit it it takes over RIO. But I cannot find an entry point for BHP. Waiting for a fall to enter.
imho..
That may be the problem now with BHP and several others, i posted a
while back when they were around the $23.75 to $24.15 mark and even back
then as today the investment still stacks up on the numbers alone
and the international market share these companies have is endless..
Today will be a good day,like everyday on the asx you learn something
new,and understand what your worry;) levels are..
good luck..
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200706/s1943517.htm

Last edited:
ASX where to next? Well, its a horrible start this morning. Only 3 companies on my extensive but not yet complete watchlist have had any gain at all. Fortunately, I do have some shares in one of them so it's not all bad. :)

Back