At what age do you plan to be financially free?

At what age do you plan or were you financially free

• 20's

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 30's

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • 40's

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • 50's

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I never want to be free of work!

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Retirement or financial freedom means that you can choose to do whatever you want to do with your time. If you wish to keep going in your job, you can but equally you can tell your boss, your colleagues to go and stuff it at any time.

Hubby "retired" three and a half years ago at age 50, and with a LOT less financial riches than you have China. I started working as a casual two years ago, and would miss my little job, which ranges from no shifts to three shifts per week, depending on how I'm feeling, where I'm needed, what else I am up to.

We are not frugal as such, but we live simply, paid youngest son's full schooling when he was in year 8 and only have to feed ourselves basically... and we are still negatively geared.

It can be done without millions.

Hubby "retired" three and a half years ago at age 50, and with a LOT less financial riches than you have China. I started working as a casual two years ago, and would miss my little job, which ranges from no shifts to three shifts per week, depending on how I'm feeling, where I'm needed, what else I am up to.

We are not frugal as such, but we live simply, paid youngest son's full schooling when he was in year 8 and only have to feed ourselves basically... and we are still negatively geared.

I am sure that there are many ways to retirement / financial freedom. I am just sharing my way. But many roads lead to Rome and there are many ways to skin a cat.

My observation has been that people who earn more, tend to spend more and simply end up with higher expectations of what they require to be financially free.

Absolutely. It's all about expectations.

One of my friends at 27 has hit around $250k passive income. Instead of being content, he continues to go to work because he just bought a $2m property in the inner east and needs to build a new tennis court, pool and just bought a new ML350. He often says he's not overly ambitious and says he just needs to be able to afford a Ferrari every year and send 3 kids to private schools and go on a European holiday.

Another friend (also 27 now) who hit around the same amount of passive income a few years back left corporate after 2 years, because he's happy to just rent a room from his mate's apartment and try set up a few internet ventures there despite collecting net rent of around $300k.

A third friend who hit around $350k passive income now (also 27) is on the opposite spectrum. He goes on holidays, doesn't worry about life. He doesn't need a Ferrari or a big house. He's happy to live with his mum and he's happy to tend to his vegetable patch. He doesn't invest any more nor wants to do any of that.particularly. And he doesn't need to spend a lot of money to live.

My observation has been that people who earn more, tend to spend more and simply end up with higher expectations of what they require to be financially free.

was referring to it from the point it enabled me to get deposts together quickly. moved to WA 3.5 years ago. now have brought 4 properties. dont think i could have done that or even dreamed of it without the income im on now.

but alas you are correct. there is no shortage of people up here on 150k+ and living pay check to pay check.

Retirement or financial freedom means that you can choose to do whatever you want to do with your time. If you wish to keep going in your job, you can but equally you can tell your boss, your colleagues to go and stuff it at any time.

Well by that definition then i have been financial independent since i was 23.

Absolutely. It's all about expectations.

One of my friends at 27 has hit around $250k passive income. Instead of being content, he continues to go to work because he just bought a $2m property in the inner east and needs to build a new tennis court, pool and just bought a new ML350. He often says he's not overly ambitious and says he just needs to be able to afford a Ferrari every year and send 3 kids to private schools and go on a European holiday.

Another friend (also 27 now) who hit around the same amount of passive income a few years back left corporate after 2 years, because he's happy to just rent a room from his mate's apartment and try set up a few internet ventures there despite collecting net rent of around $300k.

A third friend who hit around $350k passive income now (also 27) is on the opposite spectrum. He goes on holidays, doesn't worry about life. He doesn't need a Ferrari or a big house. He's happy to live with his mum and he's happy to tend to his vegetable patch. He doesn't invest any more nor wants to do any of that.particularly. And he doesn't need to spend a lot of money to live.

These must be the amongst wealthiest three 27 year olds ever documented. To generate 350k passive income, you are looking at net assets around 7mil at 5% - not bad for 27 and right on track to join bill gates and sergey brin.

These must be the amongst wealthiest three 27 year olds ever documented. To generate 350k passive income, you are looking at net assets around 7mil at 5% - not bad for 27 and right on track to join bill gates and sergey brin.

Not if they stop now. Lots of people have the potential, just not the interest to be the next bill gates.

See, Im impressed by this. Are you abe to explain a little more about your situation Wylie? It gives hope to the masses and seems a very realistic goal. Ive been watching SS for 9 years now and many of those with great aspirations then are still at it full tine today with still the sane tinefrane they had then which is now double.

See, Im impressed by this. Are you abe to explain a little more about your situation Wylie? It gives hope to the masses and seems a very realistic goal. Ive been watching SS for 9 years now and many of those with great aspirations then are still at it full tine today with still the sane tinefrane they had then which is now double.

Warning - this is a looooong post...

Happy to give more detail. Hubby had a great job, flexible enough to see his kids at 2pm some days, enjoyed the job etc. Last couple of years he was doing two jobs (plus). As people left, he was handed their jobs. It got stressful and he was working long hours and getting stressed.

He took LSL for a year (forced them to allow it by getting a medical certificate taking one week stress leave, rolled into LSL - otherwise they would not have allowed him the leave). Went back one year later, nothing changed, resigned after two weeks, after 29 years with them.

They lost a fantastic, knowledgeable employee and tried to fill his role with firstly one person, then two people. They were stupid to lose him, but that is how it went.

Anyway, we sold an IP (half share) which we bought for $170 and sold or $670K eight years later. That gave us enough to cover our interest on the other IPs until hubby reaches 55 (next year) and we can draw on his super if we need to.

I took a casual job two years ago because I was feeling a bit lost. Three good friends all had taken casual jobs as our kids got older and I was the last one standing :D.

I've said our IPs are negatively geared, but they really aren't. It is our living expenses that are eating into our income. Hubby worked for nine months since "retiring". Was going to help out an old boss for three months, and it turned into nine months. Most of that salary was salary sacrificed, and the balance is lower than before, but we hold on, hoping things pick up.

We don't have to think about what we buy, probably for the first time in many years. We will not touch his super unless we really need to, as we will pay tax on anything we draw.

I never wanted to sacrifice my time home with children just to get another IP. That was our choice, and now of course, we would not even get a loan, so our buying days are over.

I always wanted to have one IP per child to pay their way through high school and that is what we did. Neither of us wants or needs anything more than we have, so in some eyes, we would be seen as "not striving" or "not having goals", but we are happy with how things have panned out.

We are still probably more comfortable than many our age with children still in school, but we're not into comparing either. We have enough for us, and that is all that we care about.

I hope prices rise to counteract the fact they have fallen and our superannuation has fallen, and we are lucky that even in our 50s, we have time to allow that to happen. If it never happens, we are still ok.

We are not without drive, and since hubby "retired" he is busy looking after things that have been left undone at our PPOR and at our IPs and we are now helping to look after the IPs our parents accumulated (still single digits).

It is only since Dad passed away last year that we must distribute income from the family trust (though we could have been doing that for the past three years). I still don't think of these IPs as "ours" and it will take a while to do that. I don't even count these IPs as part of "our" assets and have never done so. It was always comforting to know there would be an inheritance, but it was something I never wanted to think about or rely on.

When we were engaged, I doubled my superannuation which rocketed it up very quickly. We lived for many years with hardly two cents to rub together, through choice. At any time we could have sold the IP we held in the early days to give us a better lifestyle, but we had food on the table and happy kids. What would more money have given us, really. So we made that sacrifice, sometimes with gritted teeth :D.

There is another thread about why people stop at two IPs. In our case, it was because I chose to be a stay at home mother. Hubby was on a pretty average salary 20 years ago and I didn't want to work full time (or even part time) with our kids in care. It would have taken all my salary to put three kids in care anyway.

So, in our case, we stopped because we couldn't afford any more without making personal and family sacrifices that we were not prepared to do.

????

Wife and I earn close to that and haven't got even half that in net assets.

But hey, if you want to hide all your money in boxes you'd probably need that much money by taking higher risks to get that much ($7M) by the age of 27.

????

Wife and I earn close to that and haven't got even half that in net assets.

But hey, if you want to hide all your money in boxes you'd probably need that much money by taking higher risks to get that much ($7M) by the age of 27.

So how much capital base/net assets do you have to generate 350k NET passive income per year? I have always felt that 5% return on investment is a reliable constant average figure for year to year. That is why I am aiming to retire off a 100k passive return per year from accumulating 2 mil.

I struggle a bit with the idea of retirement. To be honest it depresses me. Almost like one step away from heavens waiting room.
Retirement traditionally is a word associated with older folk - 65 years old - who have reached the age where they are entitled to stop working and receive the aged pension.

But, retirement actually means the ability to make the decision to not have to go to work ever again.

Doesn't mean you should stop, but you have the choice not to.

It's a simple change of mindset to become comfortable with the word.

So how much capital base/net assets do you have to generate 350k NET passive income per year? I have always felt that 5% return on investment is a reliable constant average figure for year to year. That is why I am aiming to retire off a 100k passive return per year from accumulating 2 mil.

China, people with 300k+ passive incomes do not do it by having $7m cash in a UBank account.

If I had your cash in my account China, I wouldn't be making 5% net (pre-tax) with it. Which would eventually erode away due to inflation at that rate anyways.

If you were to undertake a small construction project, straight up, you would make ~$100k by simply not having to pay interest on holding costs + your actual profit.

Or even purchase 3-4 houses outright, chuck granny flats on and be making ~$2600/week. Minimal effort $100k passive income.

Personally I can think of many ways to make more than 5% ROI with that amount.

How old are you, how long you been investing? always had a specific goal? I've always had the goal of financial freedom and enjoy talking with likeminded folk, so, throw it out there! I'm sure we'll learn alot.

Im 21 atm, bought my first investment property when i was 19 (fun little project at the time). Working hard and aiming to buy another property next year. Intending to be financially independent by 35.

Back