Atherton Tablelands/Ravenshoe area. Anyone done any legwork?

I'm looking for a life-style block in Qld's north and the Tablelands is a benign area. Atherton/Mareeba look fully priced but Ravenshoe (with the state's highest licenced hotel) is cheaper with nice semi-rural stuff available.

Anybody done any leg-work already?

Thommo :) :)

Thommo
That whole place is gorgeous. I prefer Yungaburra myself - there are a few properties with creeks running through them and most of it needs reforesting. Prices in the whole area seemed to go up when we were building Mt Garnet mine - most of it unjustified.

Sorry I can't help with prices though - the area is a good choice. Good luck

Ecogirl

Ecogirl said:
Thommo
That whole place is gorgeous. I prefer Yungaburra myself - there are a few properties with creeks running through them and most of it needs reforesting. Prices in the whole area seemed to go up when we were building Mt Garnet mine - most of it unjustified.

Sorry I can't help with prices though - the area is a good choice. Good luck

Ecogirl
This is a creek in back of an acreage block in Ravenshoe on the net
pic6_sm.jpg

And this is platypus country :)

T

Development is starting to increase up there as well. I have been in the area (well, Cairns) for about 6 years, and its only in the last year that I have started to see developers moving in in a significant way. Lake Tinaroo for example, its only in the last year that there has been a number of subdivisions popping up.

It is still a magnificent area up there, and should the Kuranda Range road upgrade go ahead, the area will be a lot more accessible. I doubt the Gillies Road will ever be upgraded to any great extent, so that end will always be a bit longer to get to.

Other than that I dont know a lot up there.

if you guys jumped in in 04-05 you would be looking pretty now....

i am looking in this area now, 07, Ravenshoe seems to be appreciating solidly, and the rents are acceptable, given the gains the area is experiencing.

anyone own in the mt garnet ravenshoe area?

ps. no water restrictions ;0)

The whole Tablelands area has sky-rocketed in the past 12 months. Prior to that houses/land were cheap as chips. Then along came Larry...Cyclone Larry...and the Tablelands was hit pretty hard. So lots of rebuilding and renos...and values went up and up!

Having said that, there are still some pockets with real bargains to be had.

Mate of mine bought a very nice scrub block in Millstream Estate about 10 minutes out of Ravenshoe (about 1.5 Ha) for $18000 last year (before the cyclone). Not sure what it would be worth now. Beautiful area. Ravenshoe is a nice town although since Richo shut down the timber industry, it has been doing it hard. For a lifestyle move, you could do worse.

Millstream...argh!!!!!!!!!!! Just down the road from Silver Valley...home of the dope-growing ferals, and the closest territory Aus has to DELIVERANCE! ...ouch! I would not live there in a fit.

Tolga on the Tablelands

We purchased a 1.5 acre block at Rangeview Estate, Tolga 12 months ago for $125k. It's a lovely area with views north to Mareeba and natural scrub down a gully behind the block so no back neighbours, apart from the local wallabies and birds.

We're heading up there this weekend to find out if there's a market for rental properties. If so, we'll build and rent out so we can claim some of the interest we currently paying on the loan. It's the only 'bad' debt we have and we'd like to rectify that!

We may decide to live there one day but our daughters and family are in Fremantle so my heart is on the other side of the country! Then again, it would be nice to own properties on both sides of the continent and live on the Tablelands in the winter and head south-west in the summer!

Cheers
Shirley

Shirley, I've heard vacancy rates are low in Tolga and surrounds, so I would think tis a great place for an IP.

Atherton Tablelands

What a difference 7 years makes. These last few posts describing huge growth in the Tablelands inland from Cairns look pretty wrong in hindsight.
I bought a house in Atherton in about 2003. It had doubled in value by 2007, now, 7 years later it is down by a third from its peak.

So CG is now up 115% after 12 years. :eek:

But cashflow positive from day 1.

I personally wouldn't touch the tablelands from an investment point of view but there are some gorgeous lifestyle properties up in dem hills in one nation country

Hi Hugh,

people would have been reluctant to invest in lots of out of the way places before the mining development decade(s) sent them stratospheric.
What you have to ask is, what is the future of highly productive agricultural land?
I dont know the timeframe, but I think agriculture is set for a big revaluation.

It definitely has some of most fertile land in the country with high rainfall, this type of agricultural land will increase in value as a greater emphasis is placed on food production IMO. The problem with any residential property there is also the abundance of land available which may limit price growth

The Tablelands is a great place to retire to particularly places like Yungaburra and Barrine but it's not a good place to invest. Just not enough population and industry to ensure CG. Wouldn't touch Ravenshoe, horrible place.

My parents have 50 acres up at Millaa Millaa and it's absolutely beautiful, can't say I would invest there though.... Think they have had it since the mid 2000's...

Back