ATO Property Seminars attendance recorded?

My wife submitted property deductions in her tax return for the first time last year. Because of this she recently received an invitation to the ATO's free Property seminars.

We've been dealing with property in my return for a number of years now (I didn't get an invitation) and don't feel that we would get any educational benefit from the seminar. But now I'm wondering if her attending the seminar will "tick a box" in the ATO system and make her future returns less likely to be investigated or audited.

Does anyone else think this is possible, or will the ATO simply crunch every return based on the numbers within it?

I went to one of these recently. Good stuff for a first time property investor, but if you have experience it wont be anything you don't already know.

They didn't ask me my name nor did I have to sign in.

It shouldn't make a difference. The ATO distrust us all equally, whether or not we attend their property seminar. The only 3 things that makes us more likely to be audited is if we are (a) outside their standard deviation of claims (b) if we have not already been audited recently or (c) if we are considered wealthy by their standards.

Thanks NataleaK, good to have confirmation from someone that has been.

You're right of course Mry. At least I feel better now about ignoring these invitation letters :)

Back