Aussie Home Loans Privacy Act Consent - Consumer Credit

I've been given a 'Privacy Act Consent' form to complete by Aussie Home Loans, a 3 page doc with 15 or so paragraphs, mainly seeking consent to use customer details for loan application purposes - consumer credit info etc. No problem with that of course, but there are a couple of paragraphs/points that make me reluctant to sign this form as they also seek consent to use information for direct marketing purposes.

"Collection and use of personal information..., (Aussie) will use my/our personal information for...,(b) direct marketing of products and services offered by you (Aussie) or by a third party."

Further on there are two paragraphs "Consent to receive communications and information via electronic and mobile communications" (this includes SMS), and "Consent to receive telemarketing calls".

I do not wish to give my consent for using my personal information for marketing activities so am unwilling to sign this form at all.

There is a telephone number quoted in the last two paragraphs enabling you to 'opt out' of receiving communications (after giving consent to receive them of course), but I find the concept of 'opt out' quite belligerent by Aussie and not relevant to the main purpose of the form, the consent to use credit information and personal information in relation to the loan application'.

Does this strike anyone as belligerent marketing on Aussie's behalf? Why should I have to ring a call centre and wait in a queue to opt out of something I did not wish to give consent for in the first instance. I find this a bit of an odd way to treat customers.

There seems to be no option on this form to give consent to one without the other. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

That is surprising. My privacy consent forms always give the option for people to opt out of marketing from me (which I never do anyway) as part of the standard template. As Aussie is a big company I suspect marketing is their no. 1 thing so if you aren't comfortable with it, use another broker ;)

I have decided not to go ahead with them this time around. The broker is a great guy but I just don't agree with the way Aussie are securing their marketing pool. Doesn't sit well with me ethically. I won't seek recommendations for Brisbane brokers here as there are a few threads on that already so I'll go and have a look :)

Resolution

Points to Aussie as they have found a work-around so I don't have to submit their privacy consent form. Would be nice though if they could separate consent to receive direct marketing from the consent to provide information for application purposes. I'm sure there are plenty of others who are not comfortable with this form, or just sign it without reading its contents.

Please make a point of writing to them to tell them how you feel. If people would do this, these bullies would (maybe?) understand they need to change or lose more and more business.

Back