Australia as a whole and the individual states

Most talk of property prices look at Australia's median as a whole, however there are many sub markets and variances within the states

Do laggard states always play catch up

Should you be selling or realising gains in states that have had great growth to invest in states that have had low growth, or have those states performed like that for a reason and will always continue to do so

Or are some states always outperformers

To be honest I haven't really seen all that many people talk about Australia's properties from a national median, but city basis.

And of course you can see these city markets having many sub-markets which can go as small of sections of suburbs.

As to 'underperformers', it all depends. Some are in different parts of their respective cycles, others have systemic issues which will provide continual downpressure on price rises.

Most talk of property prices look at Australia's median as a whole, however there are many sub markets and variances within the states

Do laggard states always play catch up

Should you be selling or realising gains in states that have had great growth to invest in states that have had low growth, or have those states performed like that for a reason and will always continue to do so

Or are some states always outperformers

1 When u say "most" you mean media I guess. Some of us here regard that sector of the media as useless other than to gauge sentiment of the masses. In my view the different states and different towns and regions within those states are at different points in the property cycle at any given point in time.
2 Mostly yes.
3 The sell or not debate is a hot one. Most would argue never sell as the purest and best strategy but plenty sell some along the way to take some profit, redeploy, etc. If not selling you can certainly refinance to access the extra equity and purchase in other areas.

The areas that may always have low growth would be those with falling populations, no economic drivers etc.

Back