Back room not STCA

Went to an open house today and seen this back room that looked pretty swell!

I forgot how the conversation spruiked up with the REA, but he said the previous vendors did that value-add over a year ago and he knows it was not council approved. So this has been the case for over 12 months and currently this is the only issue I see with the property. The property is in a strata plan if that helps.

I will be speaking to my conveyancer on Monday about it, and I'm sure that the building inspection would comment Re this room. But just chiming in here on SS to see if anyone has been in this situation before?

My thoughts are if I was to buy this property, how/will the council do an audit to deem it is not approved by them etc. I really do not want to buy this property and having to pay to remove it in the future etc.

Your building inspector will inspect the building. He/she will not investigate to see if any additions are council approved.

If unapproved, the council can order demolition. At best you will have to apply for retrospective approval with the fees that involves, even if you are lucky enough that it fully meets council conditions.
Marg

Your building inspector will inspect the building. He/she will not investigate to see if any additions are council approved.

If unapproved, the council can order demolition. At best you will have to apply for retrospective approval with the fees that involves, even if you are lucky enough that it fully meets council conditions.
Marg

Correct. In reality, if it is a private rear yard and no neighbours can see it then it is unlikely Council will get wind of the addition. There are many non-permitted property extensions that stand the test of time.

BUT, being a prudent and well informed purchaser I would not touch it unless you get a 'subject to retrospective building permit' clause in the contract. This would likely corner the Vendor in if they want full market value.

Building permit failing purchase the property at an 'as if complete' value not including the rear room and allow for cost to demolish and a contingency. These are the only practical scenarios in my opinion.

Also note that if this room was built without permits then you must start to question the integrity of the balance of the building if there have been any recent renovations done.

Back