Back to school :) I enrolled at Tafe today for Cert IV in Residential Drafting

I know some of you will think I'm nuts but it's been on my wish list for awhile to go get my Cert IV in Residential Drafting. I've been talking about it for 18mths or so :rolleyes:

http://www.central.wa.edu.au/Courses/EngineeringConstructionMining/Pages/7227.aspx?cookieCheck=true

I had some good impetus from someone on here who also wanted to do it - I won't name them unless they want. And so we enrolled tonight and start in Feb.

First subject seems to be a combo with 2 units in Semester 1 and is 5:30-10pm. Thank goodness I have someone to share this journey with and keep me awake.

29114 Apply construction principles to the structural components of residential buildings
29118 Evaluate construction materials for residential dwellings

First hurdle is the class is full. So we are both waitlisted and will attend classes as such until someone drops out. :cool:

I love design, I once enrolled in Architecture and I think the more knowledge I have about this area the better a developer I will be. So I'm not intending on becoming a Drafty but to continue my passion and my education.

I know some of you will think I'm nuts but it's been on my wish list for awhile to go get my Cert IV in Residential Drafting. I've been talking about it for 18mths or so :rolleyes:

I don't think you're nuts. That's awesome! I want to do the TAFE building certificate. Not to become a builder but I want to know more about what I am getting into when I develop.

I had some good impetus from someone on here who also wanted to do it - I won't name them unless they want. And so we enrolled tonight and start in Feb.

Name awayyyy - its me!

So I'm also super excited actually. Never really learnt anything practical, property or construction related before. I'm hoping its a nice change from my day job.

Awesome, have fun.

I may or may not have enrolled in surveying. (I honestly don't know, TAFE staff are quite useless at communicating basic things like "yes, you are enrolled")

Sounds like a great idea! You stop learning, you stop growing!

Part of the reason I want to invest/become financially free is so I can smash TAFE Courses. The checklist I'd like to do...

Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Metalwork, Mechanics, Drafting, Programming, German, Mandarin, Blacksmithing. Yeeha! :D

I don't think you're nuts. That's awesome! I want to do the TAFE building certificate. Not to become a builder but I want to know more about what I am getting into when I develop.

Building certificate is probably next on the list after drafting :)

The nuts thing is probably due to time. I actually don't have that much of it BUT it's all part of the master plan to work for myself and give up the day job. I can juggle a full on job, study, 3 children and 4 projects this year I'm sure ;)

Name awayyyy - its me!

So I'm also super excited actually. Never really learnt anything practical, property or construction related before. I'm hoping its a nice change from my day job.

I'm like a kid about it! I'm sure we can work it out - and if not you can just sue them :rolleyes:

Awesome, have fun.

I may or may not have enrolled in surveying. (I honestly don't know, TAFE staff are quite useless at communicating basic things like "yes, you are enrolled")

I had to enrol under my maiden name as they found my old Tafe number from 1996. The system didn't let them change my surname or create a new person with my married name so I just told them to leave it.

Sounds like a great idea! You stop learning, you stop growing!

Part of the reason I want to invest/become financially free is so I can smash TAFE Courses. The checklist I'd like to do...

Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Metalwork, Mechanics, Drafting, Programming, German, Mandarin, Blacksmithing. Yeeha! :D

Now that is a list! Studying fulltime is the end goal as many of the courses are only a year which is much more doable than 3 yrs part time.

I've just completed my Diploma of Software Development. I've really enjoyed the process of learning- and it's come 35+ years after finishing my degree. I was able to do it full time- part time with a job or with raising a family would have been a lot more difficult.

All the best with it!

What are the contact days and times for this course? I really want to do it but don't know if the full time hours will fit in with the hours I work

What are the contact days and times for this course? I really want to do it but don't know if the full time hours will fit in with the hours I work

Emme,
I do it at night and only one unit at the moment which is 5:30-10 on a Monday night.
You can do it during the day with the fulltime students or at night with the part time students.

BTW most of the class think that we are nuts studying it for fun.

It is harder and easier than I thought. It's certainly hard keeping the brain functioning late at night and I have no desire to do assignments but it's not too difficult.

I had a great time with semester one. Learnt a load of stuff (from the point of view of a complete novice).

Just couldn't keep up with the weekly assignments unfortunately. So I'm on hiatus now while I'm back to full time work, but keen to go back one day when my timetable is a bit better.

One of my activities scheduled for retirement is to go back to uni or tafe to learn for fun. I would love to learn to read chinese and do some basic house and car maintenance.

One of my activities scheduled for retirement is to go back to uni or tafe to learn for fun. I would love to learn to read chinese and do some basic house and car maintenance.

What languages can you read now China, just English or some others too?
Can you speak other languages? (presumably speaking them is easier than reading/writing)

I had a great time with semester one. Learnt a load of stuff (from the point of view of a complete novice).

Just couldn't keep up with the weekly assignments unfortunately. So I'm on hiatus now while I'm back to full time work, but keen to go back one day when my timetable is a bit better.

Do you know if any institute offers entire course online or external study for this?

Back