Bad property management

Hi,

One year ago I handed our Darwin home over to a PM as we moved to our new rural home in NSW.

The tenants ended their rental agreement and moved out.Our PM reported everything was good, house had been cleaned out, pool was professionally taken care of and all that.

New tenants were found and they were signed up to a weekly amount BELOW what they said they were going to advertise it for, without consulting me. I let it slip as I figured it was probably better than losing out on a week or two rent while they found someone else. They moved in and they raised a couple of issues with the PM. One noisy overhead fan, one wobbly fan and a pull out pantry that felt like it was going to fall out. I told the PM I would be coming to Darwin in a few weeks and would look into it then. They returned my email saying I HAD to do something soon otherwise they would raise it with the tenancy tribunal and I'd lose. I responded saying it's not life threatening and I'll do it myself. Anyhow, I decided to sack them and appoint a new agent.

When we got to Darwin we went to take a look at the complaints. The new tenants then told us how the house was nowhere near as clean as the ingoing report told, nor was the swimming pool clean. Then the pantry door was in a condition that it would not close. To top that off, there were more issues which quickly told me the agent obviously didn't bother to check at all. I reckon they did absolutely nothing, thinking I wouldn't find out because I lived interstate. oh. I forgot to mention. This agent was really bad at returning my emails and calls during the year.

I'm really p...ed off ! Is there any recourse I can pursue or do I just walk away ?

You are best advised to walk away, suck it up and appoint an agent who will look after your interests better. The bad communication should have been ringing alarm bells - but 20/20 hindsight is a beautiful thing. :(

Hi,

One year ago I handed our Darwin home over to a PM as we moved to our new rural home in NSW.

The tenants ended their rental agreement and moved out.Our PM reported everything was good, house had been cleaned out, pool was professionally taken care of and all that.

New tenants were found and they were signed up to a weekly amount BELOW what they said they were going to advertise it for, without consulting me. I let it slip as I figured it was probably better than losing out on a week or two rent while they found someone else. They moved in and they raised a couple of issues with the PM. One noisy overhead fan, one wobbly fan and a pull out pantry that felt like it was going to fall out. I told the PM I would be coming to Darwin in a few weeks and would look into it then. They returned my email saying I HAD to do something soon otherwise they would raise it with the tenancy tribunal and I'd lose. I responded saying it's not life threatening and I'll do it myself. Anyhow, I decided to sack them and appoint a new agent.

When we got to Darwin we went to take a look at the complaints. The new tenants then told us how the house was nowhere near as clean as the ingoing report told, nor was the swimming pool clean. Then the pantry door was in a condition that it would not close. To top that off, there were more issues which quickly told me the agent obviously didn't bother to check at all. I reckon they did absolutely nothing, thinking I wouldn't find out because I lived interstate. oh. I forgot to mention. This agent was really bad at returning my emails and calls during the year.

I'm really p...ed off ! Is there any recourse I can pursue or do I just walk away ?

Hi Gretsch,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear that and I know what you are going through as in my case the tenants actually left the property without the PM telling until 1 month later.

2 quick questions; 1) do you have the actual property inspection report that they did when the tenants moved out? 2) have the existing tenants taken any photos of the condition of the house when they moved in?

Also talk to the Department of Fair Trading in NT. The real estate agent may be held liable for negligence.

One of the inherent difficulties of property management remotely. You have to rely on the people on the ground.

Did the outgoing PM take any pix?

Hi,

I had a similar issue with my property in Darwin. I just shopped around for a better PM. Found one in the original company who was looking after my property and transfer the job to her.

Nice and easy.

Ice

Is there any recourse I can pursue

You simply need to read their standard management agreement you signed, you know, the one that their solicitor wrote to minimise their liability and maximise your liability. There is hardly ever a 3rd party involved. If you are looking for someone else to palm off responsibility and cost to, you've bought the wrong property.

It'll be peppered with wording like ;

"the Agent takes no responsibility for..."

"the Owner agrees that they are responsible for..."

"it is agreed the Owner holds the Agent harmless..."

You are a residential Landlord. Everything, and I mean everything, gets dumped in your lap. You are an immovable sinkhole, to which all problems and all costs gravitate to.

Back