Is 24 hours notice enough to clean a rental place?

The tenant vacated yesterday. The new tenant moves in next Tuesday. It's self managed BTW.

Anyway, it's a mess. Because the new tenant moves in next Tuesday, I emailed the old tenant to say he has Monday at latest to clean it up or we will hire someone and deduct it from his Bond. I told him he has until the end of today (Sunday) to let us know if he wishes to make his own arrangements.

So...roughly half a day's notice. Then another 24 hours (tomorrow) to actually do it. Is this notice period too short?

When does the lease end?

pinkboy

It ended Tues / Wed I think, but we gave them a few days to get themselves moved out because the next tenant wasn't due in till next week anyway.

Since it ended so long ago, could they turn around and say - hey, why did you wait almost a whole week before giving us notice that it was a pig sty?

Simple. They are no longer in control, you are. Just arrange a bond clean and take it from their bond.

They should have timed their move appropriately including cleaning time.

pinkboy

It ended Tues / Wed I think, but we gave them a few days to get themselves moved out because the next tenant wasn't due in till next week anyway.

Since it ended so long ago, could they turn around and say - hey, why did you wait almost a whole week before giving us notice that it was a pig sty?

This is completely different to your original answer. Make up your mind if you want accurate advice.

pinkboy

This is completely different to your original answer. Make up your mind if you want accurate advice.

pinkboy

Sorry I meant to say they finished moving out on Sat, but their lease ended Tues / Wed. Since the new tenant doesn't move in till next week we just gave them a huge buffer. Sorry if that was confusing.

You should have done an exit inspection on the day after their lease ended, and brought it all to their attention with a "if everything isnt clean and tidy by Saturday then I will engage a cleaner taken from bond"

But yes 24 hours on a weekend is too short notice to give tenants a chance to remedy

.....and this is exactly why you should know the law if you are going to self manage.

There is no 'decency' or 'common sense' etc in laws. That's why we have them in black and white.

pinkboy

Yup, which is why I'm done with it. I've handed it over to LJ Hooker:)

But they won't deal with the last tenant so he's my problem until the transition.

If the tenants have vacated, then you don't have to give any more time.

So its up to you whether its 24 hours or more - or nothing at all.

Back