Bagging over land supply

Totally agree what Frank Sartor said (below). People do not want to move to western fringes. so extra land over there is almost pointless. In fact, it would depress all the house prices around those areas.

People want to live closer to the city so the only way to do it is promoting medium/high density housing near Cityrail train stations/shopping centres. At least the infrastructure are already there.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/bagging-over-land-supply/2007/08/14/1186857490149.html

Bagging over land supply

Catharine Munro
August 14, 2007 - 2:29PM

Planning Minister Frank Sartor has lashed out at the Federal Government over housing affordability.

He said that releasing more land in Sydney's west was not the only solution.

Mr Sartor told a planning conference in Sydney that "Costello and Howard, those great geniuses," are accusing the states of holding up land supply.

"There's a huge amount of land supply," Mr Sartor said.

However, he said people were not buying on Sydney's western fringe.

"They would buy in built-up areas and yet if you were trying to do more development where the people want to be, I get bagged," he said.

Interesting post.

You could be right, and I have no idea about inner city stuff, but I think a small proportion are going the other way too, and moving to the bush on a few acres. Makes sense, because if you can't afford the inner city, but you can afford the west, why not move right out west where you can have a few acres and a horse no bloody nosey neighbour looking over the fence.

The big regionals have seen tremendous growth in this area. One acre to ten acre blocks on the outskirts of Tamworth, Dubbo, Orange, etc, have seen incredible growth in prices, and I'm not talking doubleing. Quadrupling and more. A lot do seem to be city people.

See ya's.

When Frank Sartor talk about western Sydney he means areas such as Blacktown /Penrith/ Fairfield/ Cabramatta/ Liverpool/ Campelltown. Generally people don't want to move to those areas because of lower social economic status, and higher crime rates etc etc etc. Not to mention it is quite far from the city.

It takes a change of mindsets of people to move to those areas, especially young people these days spending a lot of money trying to live in "hip" areas. And they would justify it by saying that otherwise they won't get a gf/bf ......

Just look at all the houses for sale in those areas and you can see supply is not the problem, but "cheap supply in good areas" and people's attitude is the problem.

When Frank Sartor talk about western Sydney he means areas such as Blacktown /Penrith/ Fairfield/ Cabramatta/ Liverpool/ Campelltown. Generally people don't want to move to those areas because of lower social economic status, and higher crime rates etc etc etc. Not to mention it is quite far from the city.

I agree with many of your comments there, great post!

I am actually from Campbelltown, work in Liverpool and have just moved in to our first IP which is in between Parramatta and Blacktown (moved in for FHOG reasons).

I have no problems living out these ways and I have no reason to go to the city unless I need to, not because of the distance but simply because I can find everything I need in either Campbelltown, Liverpool or Parramatta so there is no reason for me to go to the city.

I disagree with your point "Not to mention it is quite far from the city" though - I believe this is formed based on the fact you must live within 20k's of the CBD? For me, just over 1hr on a train from Campbelltown to get to work (when I worked in the city) was not a big deal and you can actually use that time to read a book, get a bit of sleep etc. so it isnt too bad at all.

However, if you worked in the city and had to drive to work and were given the option of buying in Campbelltown or renting closer to the city I can fully understand renting closer to the city. The lack of road infrastructure from South-Western Sydney is terrible! I know someone from Campbelltown who spends close to 3.5hrs-4hrs a day in total in his car driving to and from work in Chatswood. Sometimes it even took me 1hr to get from Campbelltown to Liverpool (which is only a 25km trip!)

So in short, I really dont see the problem with opening up more land in the west, however infrastructure needs to grow at the same rate as the population. People should not be punished with terrible train services and speeds of 20km/h on a 110km/h speed limited highway due to terrible traffic conditions simply because they choose to purchase in the west.

I agree with many of your comments there, great post!

I am actually from Campbelltown, work in Liverpool and have just moved in to our first IP which is in between Parramatta and Blacktown (moved in for FHOG reasons).

I have no problems living out these ways and I have no reason to go to the city unless I need to, not because of the distance but simply because I can find everything I need in either Campbelltown, Liverpool or Parramatta so there is no reason for me to go to the city.

I disagree with your point "Not to mention it is quite far from the city" though - I believe this is formed based on the fact you must live within 20k's of the CBD? For me, just over 1hr on a train from Campbelltown to get to work (when I worked in the city) was not a big deal and you can actually use that time to read a book, get a bit of sleep etc. so it isnt too bad at all.

However, if you worked in the city and had to drive to work and were given the option of buying in Campbelltown or renting closer to the city I can fully understand renting closer to the city. The lack of road infrastructure from South-Western Sydney is terrible! I know someone from Campbelltown who spends close to 3.5hrs-4hrs a day in total in his car driving to and from work in Chatswood. Sometimes it even took me 1hr to get from Campbelltown to Liverpool (which is only a 25km trip!)

So in short, I really dont see the problem with opening up more land in the west, however infrastructure needs to grow at the same rate as the population. People should not be punished with terrible train services and speeds of 20km/h on a 110km/h speed limited highway due to terrible traffic conditions simply because they choose to purchase in the west.

Actually I don't think it is too far from the west catching the train to the city. However it is all about perceptions here from the general public. Let's put it this way I have found a number of people in North Shore or Eastern Suburbs never ventured into the west, thinking it is too far from the city.

That's why I think the inner suburbs needs more higher density housing because people do not change their attitudes, not to mention greater use of existing infrastructures. It costs a fortune to release more land AND then having to build all these schools/community centres/shops/roads/trains/ AND provide business/industrial areas to provide local work.

And I cannot imagine a person driving from Campbelltown to Chatswood on peak hour, it would drive anyone nuts. I would rather move to North Shore or find a job closer to Campbelltown.

Back