Bali - investments

On our most recent trip to Bali, we have found out from the locals that many of its villas are actually invested by Foreigners, mostly by Aussies.

Since we cannot purchase land over there.
Apparently, you go into partnership with a local who may have land, and you lease the land for a certain period of time, eg: 15 years

Does anyone from this forum own this type of investment channel?
If so, please do share

I don't but due to the changing nature of Asian countries I would be concerned about buying in as what was once a nice private villa could next week have a nightclub blaring music to the wee hours or roosters move in next door shattering your peace and in 12 mths time have a higher building overlooking your pool area.
I also cant believe the ridiculous prices being paid there.
Am I to assume its all those cashed up and clueless mining bogans driving up prices? Hard to believe it could be locals when they are getting on average $25/week.
Have you looked elsewhere?
Similar style of property can be purchased in parts of Thailand, Hua Hin as an example for under $100k aud, but landcape changes rapidly there as well.

one of my relatives was involved in setting up a business there,

and yes you are right, you need set up a partnership with a local, and set up a lease,

the hard part is finding someone you can trust, as you are well aware, corruption is rife there,

a lot of these apartments owned by foreigners are off the plan, however OTP there is a bit different to here, there seems to be decent growth over the past 10 years though

one of my relatives was involved in setting up a business there,

and yes you are right, you need set up a partnership with a local, and set up a lease,

the hard part is finding someone you can trust, as you are well aware, corruption is rife there,

a lot of these apartments owned by foreigners are off the plan, however OTP there is a bit different to here, there seems to be decent growth over the past 10 years though

I was referring to building villas. Where the building costs are <100k each apparently.
Just seems to makes CF sense, less so with CG, where the locals will be able to get the most benefits.

Will be interesting to hear if anyone has this sort of investment experience here.

You need to be VERY careful with who you deal with.
How do you know you'll actually get something for your money?

There are some "seemingly" legit people there who are not what they seem.
I know a few people who have been ripped off. There is one Australian lady with a Balinese husband who has a "company" building villas. BEWARE!!!!

But there are people that have done well.
How do you know who to trust? There are signs everywhere saying "Investments 20% ROI"
Years ago my husband and I considered opening a boutique hotel in Bali. But we met a couple who had been going to Bali for many years and had a rich Indonesian "friend". They bought a hotel. Everything went well for a few years until the friend decided he wanted the hotel for himself. They were lucky to get a minimal payout.

Hard lesson learnt!

Back